Start by marking “Hemingway Deadlights: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Hemingway Deadlights: A Mystery

Hemingway Deadlights: A Mystery

It is 1956 and Hemingway has spent much of the year at his home in Key West, hiding from tourists and autograph hunters. But a friend’s sudden death rouses Papa from his idyll. To say that the cause of death is suspicious is to put it lightly. It’s not every day that a part-time smuggler is impaled on a harpoon.

A witty, literate, and action-filled debut, Hemingway Deadligh
Published August 18th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published August 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hemingway Deadlights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hemingway Deadlights

Doug Cooper
Apr 15, 2014 Doug Cooper rated it liked it
Well I'm glad I kept reading this. It reached a real lull with Hemingway meditating on his wives which took away from the rest of the story. I don't claim to know if this book accureatley depicted Hemingway (or if it depicted historical characters like Lansky, Castro and Che) but it was a fun read overall.
Carolanne Stephan
Michael Webb
Dec 28, 2009 Michael Webb rated it it was amazing
Terrific, terrific read.

A mystery story, but with the hero not a cop, or a private detective, but none other than Nobel Prize winner Ernest Hemingway. Hemingway boozes, brawls, and beds women as you might expect, all in the service of a quixotic cause-to solve a murder no one-not the CIA, the FBI, the police, or the Cuban government-wants solved. Atkinson deftly treads the line, not quite aping Hemingway's style but somehow still getting the voice right. I had no trouble believing the voice to
Jordy
May 12, 2014 Jordy rated it it was amazing
it was funny and unpredictable. the only thing was that the characters were hard to remember which ones were which.
Susan
Aug 28, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-florida
An aging Hemingway, drinking on Key West, is shaken by the death of a friend, one of the local fishermen/smugglers. The authorities don't seem much interested in the murder, so Hemingway--broken ankle and all--investigates. The trail takes him back to his home in Cuba and then to Castro and Che in the mountains, and once again back to Key West. While the picture of Hemingway is convincing, the plot is convoluted. The toughest of tough guys makes an appropriate noir detective.
Susan
Dec 01, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
A great concept, but it's really convoluted and hard to follow. I finally quit, but I may try again. Ernest Hemingway is the main character, and the plot line is that he will solve a mystery involving the impalement of one of his drinking buddies in Key West in the mid-1950s. I had to pick that one up based on the blub alone! The author just wanders around too much. It was late and I was tired every time I tried to read it, and I find that I am still intrigued by the idea.
Kimberly
Sep 17, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Loving this book! It actually seems plausible that it could have been a long-forgotten in a drunken-haze kind of Hemingway tale. The author's style is incredibly readable for a Hemingway fan (no cringing so far). I also love the way the Hemingway character "looks back" on certain pieces of his past. Excellent!
Kristen
Aug 26, 2010 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I have always loved books about Hemingway more than Hemingway's actual books. This was a blast to read and watch Papa wind his way through Key West trying to find the killer. I'm hoping Papa will return for more mysteries!
Debby
Dec 19, 2009 Debby rated it really liked it
if you enjoy exotic mysteries, you'll enjoy this one. that hemmingway, himself, is the protagonist is icing on the cake. The dialogue is fast-paced,and the backdrop of key west and cuba extremely colorful. a good read, indeed.
Stephen
Feb 04, 2010 Stephen rated it it was ok
I found this book difficult to read. I have read quite a few Hemingway biographies and this novel does not, in my opinion, depict Hemingway's character very well.
Wendy T
I thought this book was okay. It was a quick read, but didn't really hold my attention and was surprised that I managed to finished this book.
Suzanne
Jul 12, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Not that I knew Ernest Hemingway, but Mr. Atkinson seems to do an excellent job portraying him. I just didn't care much for the actual mystery.
Jack
Mar 02, 2010 Jack rated it liked it
I enjoyed it. First novel for author. tHE Hemmingway involvement with Key West, Cuba, Castro, etc was interesting.
Cynthia
Jan 25, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Not as good as the second book (which I read first), but a thoroughly enjoyable read. Papa comes alive on the page.
Cheri
Sep 26, 2010 Cheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-reads
Great romping fun. The writing style is "Hemmingwayesq" which make the funnier parts even more funny.
Jane
Feb 14, 2010 Jane rated it did not like it
Couldn't get past the first 30 pages. Not funny, just crude.
Roberta Perry
Roberta Perry rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
May 29, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2015
Allie
Allie rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Rafael Alves
Rafael Alves marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Sandra Phillips
Sandra Phillips marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Brianna Calbo
Brianna Calbo rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2015
Constance Fox
Constance Fox rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Leadiba
Leadiba rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A son of Long Island and a father of three, I love very good beer, shellfish of any sort, Italian opera in the summertime, and movies. I own more books than I do any other one thing. I love writing, though, making sentences. In addition to my books, I've written, and still write, film criticism, cultural attack, book reviews and essays for The Village Voice, The Believer, Sight & Sound, The Gu ...more
More about Michael Atkinson...