Start by marking “Entropy: A New World” as Want to Read:
Entropy: A New World

Entropy: A New World

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Per Wikipedia: Entropy: A New World View is a non-fiction book by Jeremy Rifkin and Ted Howard, with an Afterword by Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen. First published by The Viking Press, New York in 1980.
Published January 1st 1985 by Paladin Granada (first published 1980)

Sara
Nov 15, 2009 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Luca
Shelves: global, environment
"Entropy" is a dated book (it was written 20 years ago) it talks about Montreal protocol instead of the Kyoto protocol... however the questions in this book are still actual. It is an intersting reading about the application of thermodynamic laws on our finite world where we do keep behaving like resources and everything are not finite...
Richard
Apr 27, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Rifkin. I will never look at the world the same way again. It's amazing when a book has that effect. At first, I thought I was going to be reading a book about predictions on the environment, which considering it was written in 1989 I thought would be interesting in a certain way. But then he quickly shifted into his thesis based on entropy and I realized this was not a book that is dated and judged in hindsight, but completely relevant today, powerful right now. Highly recommended and th ...more
Leslie
Aug 28, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting book but Rifkin applies entropy incorrectly to social systems. Anyone who knows college-level thermodynamics should be able to see the flaws in his logic....
Ensar Uzumcu
Feb 07, 2014 Ensar Uzumcu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ara-t-rma
Türkçe Çeviri 93 yılı birinci basımını buldum.. Eski fakat çok hoş bir kitap.

Ekonomi
Tarım
Nakliyat
Kentleşme
Silahlanma
Eğitim
SAğlık

alanarındaki Entropi ilişkisini çok güzel işliyor ve bazı çözümler öneriyor. Akıllı bir yaşam perspektifi sunarak Dünya'ya ve onun bir parçası olan kendimize bakışımızı tekrardan sorgulamayı mecbur kılıyor.
Yura Park
Aug 14, 2015 Yura Park rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is highly recommended. I am very surprised that It's written 30 years ago but thoroughly and precisely illustrates the main reason of all the problems in this world.
Aryssa Hutchins
Jan 10, 2016 Aryssa Hutchins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible introduction to the issues our generation is well aware of by now. Jeremy Rifkin gives a sense of calm after laying out how Entropy affects every aspect of our lives.
Rachel Krukowski
It's an interesting book, especially to read it now in 2008 since it was written in 1981. Interesting to read it and think, what of his predictions have come true? Can we still see this pattern emerging? The answer to that would be yes, but I think there is a bigger picture here to look at in terms of the entropy law, our society and how we view it. Worthy of a good discussion.
Beth Barnett
May 28, 2007 Beth Barnett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago, and I found it very interesting and thought provoking at the time. I was a teenager, but I still think it has some philosophical concepts relating to waste and environment that are really interesting to consider.
Sol Salinas
Feb 02, 2008 Sol Salinas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerhouse. Rifkin's arguments are virtually impossible to refute -- We all have a lot of work to do.
Cedar
Jul 18, 2008 Cedar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learn a bit about the second law of thermodynamics and the ultimate Law of the Land.
George
May 23, 2009 George rated it liked it
Heavy going at times and frequently repetitive
Harry Kessels
Mar 07, 2013 Harry Kessels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: systems
great introduction to entropy
well-written
T
Oct 25, 2009 T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little dated. But, the ideas are still timely and a great companion to books like The Long Emergency. Its a good book for folks that believe our post modern, post industrial society can continue to thrive.
Ross
Mar 28, 2008 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I accidentally picked this book up thinking it was about physics. It's not.
Jake Jang
Jake Jang rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Bjorn Delbeecke
Bjorn Delbeecke marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Otto Ahoniemi
Otto Ahoniemi marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Salih
Salih marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Gordon
Gordon rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Manis Pierre
Manis Pierre rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2016
Nathan Massey
Nathan Massey marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Sean Homenick
Sean Homenick marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
S
S rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Bhavin
Bhavin marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
  • Reality Check: How Science Deniers Threaten Our Future
  • Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized
  • The Hole in the Universe
  • Earthmasters: The Dawn of the Age of Climate Engineering
  • Astronomy Today
  • God and the Multiverse: Humanity's Expanding View of the Cosmos
  • The Space Book: From the Beginning to the End of Time, 250 Milestones in the History of Space & Astronomy
  • The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III: Multiple Universes, Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Meltdown of a Nuclear Family
  • Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster
  • What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated
  • Disturbing the Universe
  • The Things That Nobody Knows: 501 Mysteries of Life, the Universe and Everything
  • The Infinite Book: A Short Guide to the Boundless, Timeless and Endless
  • Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
  • Perché non possiamo essere cristiani: e meno che mai cattolici
  • Suffering Scientists
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • The Lost Art of Finding Our Way

“Time goes forward because energy itself is always moving from an available to an unavailable state. Our consciousness is continually recording the entropy change in the world around us. We watch our friends get old and die. We sit next to a fire and watch it's red-hot embers turn slowly into cold white ashes. We experience the world always changing around us, and that experience is the unfolding of the second law. It is the irreversible process of dissipation of energy in the world. What does it mean to say, 'The world is running out of time'? Simply this: we experience the passage of time by the succession of one event after another. And every time an event occurs anywhere in this world energy is expended and the overall entropy is increased. To say the world is running out of time then, to say the world is running out of usable energy. In the words of Sir Arthur Eddington, 'Entropy is time's arrow'.” 13 likes