The Mount Rushmore Calamity (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #1)

The Mount Rushmore Calamity (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  649 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Saddle up with Flat Stanley!

Ever since Stanley was flattened by a bulletin board, every trip is an adventure!

Published April 21st 2009 by Harper (first published April 10th 2009)

Debbie
In 1964, Jeff Brown introduced readers to a character named Flat Stanley.

Flat Stanley's name is actually Stanley Lambchop, but a bulletin board fell on him, turning him from a three-dimensional boy into a flat one. Hence, he is called Flat Stanley. Much beloved, Flat Stanley evolved into a very popular project through which schoolchildren draw a Flat Stanley, cut it out, and mail it to friends and family in far off places.

A huge success, Flat Stanley also evolved into a series of early readers....more
Nicola Mansfield
Amazon credits this as *by* Jeff Brown and since I'd never heard of this follow up series I was rather disappointed to find out it is not written by him at all, only based on his character. Anyway, the actual author, Sara Pennypacker, did a nice job here and I was well pleased with this start to a series about Stanley while he is still flat. Now since he is cured in the original book, I guess we are to assume these adventures occur during that time. I was always upset as a kid that Stanley was f...more
Trevor Anderson
flat stanley by: sara pennypacker. it is about a boy that is traveling to mount rushmore. and how he got the name flat stanley was because he got flatened by a boliten board so now it is hard for him to travel without flying away.
Heather
37 months - this was the first Flat Stanley book we've read. I picked it out because we were on a trip to Mount Rushmore and I thought it would be a fun way for O to connect with what we were going to see and maybe learn something about the area, the monument etc. I was disappointed as there really wasn't much in the way of history or geography facts within the story. The story was ok and if nothing else O at least has a better idea of who Flat Stanley is for the next time we take one on an adv...more
Asield014
I liked this book because I like adventure books. When I saw this book I immediately read this book. I literally grabbed this book went to my room and started to read it. I also read this book because I usually don't go on vacations so I read this book because it looked interesting.
I gave this book 5 stars because I like reading Adventure books so this book looked interesting to me. This book is also a series and i liked reading those as well. If I had to choose a favorite book of the flat stanl...more
Alexandra Chauran
The kids thought this book was fun because there's a character that speaks in a southwestern accent.
Vivian Lam
I just loved this book even if it is for little kids. In this book Stanley and his brother go on a trip to Mount Rushmore. On page 15 it said " with a terrible sound, a large crack split open along Abraham Lincoln's hairline. The great carved face began to slide away down the mountainside... With Arthur on it!" that part almost gave me a heart attack. I thought that Arthur was going to die. After Stanley saved Arthur I was go happy but when I saw that Arthur was sad because people were crowding...more
Mary
No wonder I liked this so much. Love Sara Pennypacker!!!
Angie
For a pre-K to 4th grade reader, I'd give this book 5 stars. My kindergartner loved it and is anxious to read more of Flat Stanley's adventures. (FYI-The text was written on a 2nd-4th grade reading level.)

But I'm rating this book for me, an adult reading out loud to my son. I didn't enjoy the story or plot as much as I expected. It left me a little flat(yes, pun intended). There was a tiny bit of history and facts thrown in a tiny adventure. I just expected more. I did like that it was a quick r...more
Zaya
Jun 04, 2014 Zaya added it
It was pretty cool when they found the gold.
Mary
Feb 09, 2010 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: NYRA 2011 nominee
This was very silly and in the nature of Flat Stanley. I don't think it should be nominated for NYRA.
Saddle up with Flat Stanley
The whole Lambchop family is off to see Mount Rushmore. But when Flat Stanley and his brother, Arthur, team up with a scrappy cowgirl named Calamity Jasper, their vacation turns into the Wild West experience of a lifetime. Pretty soon, they find themselves in a real tight spot—even for a...more
Brenda
This is an adorable book that depicts the rivalry between brothers over fame and a girl. What ensues is a story that makes you feel like you are in the Wild West around a campfire. In the end, the boys learn a lesson about combining strength and flatness to move obstacles. I highly recommend this book as it accurately captures the essence of youth and friendship and is an enjoyable read for the whole family with the bonus of a little history as well.
Sara
In some of the Flat Stanley books, I find it confusing the lessons that they are trying to teach or educate the children. It seems in all of them that the parents think that it is ok to mail their son because they bought too many things on vacation. How does that even seem remotely like a good parent? It is different when the kids encourage Stanley to use his flatness, but sometimes they just go too far.
Kristen
I wasn't sure what to think about this book. The characters were all... well, flat and basically just caricatures embodying stereotypes like the mom who can make gourmet food from camp provisions, and a Native American who just naturally knows how to track animals and send smoke signals. If these people were written that way to be ironic somehow, it wasn't clear. The plot was gentle and sparse.
Melissa Gregory
This is an action packed story that fits right in with the rest of the series in that it is a very fun read for young readers because it gives little history tidbits while still reading and going through the adventure. In this wild adventure Stanley and his brother take off to explore and meet up with a girl named calamity takes hem on a wild ride. this is a great read for grades 2-4.
Sunshine
Stanely and his whimsical family remind me fondly of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series and it's flirtations with "magic". While there facts to be absorbed as we follow our loveable characters through their mishaps and adventures, perhaps the true value of this book lies in it's ability to force it's young readers into considering, "How would I solve this problem?"
Karen Arendt
This was a nice story. I think it would appeal to boys because of the cowboy lingo and adventures Stanley and his brother have. There is a strong female role, too, though to broaden the appeal. The author, Sarah Pennypacker, had some creative uses for Stanley and his flatness came in handy more than once. This would be a good book for Camp Read a Lot.
TamTam
I liked it. But I kind of don't like the way Brown writes. It doesn't feel natural when you're reading aloud. I guess it just makes it difficult when you're reading aloud what the characters are speaking....like this---> "Starting to talk," said Stanley, "finishes sentence." It really really bothers me.

B
The first in the Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures series, Stanley, his brother Arthur and their parents go on a camping trip to South Dakota where being flat comes in handy for some things and where it's a disadvantage in other ways. This isn't a literary masterpiece but cute enough.
Rachel
(Beginning Reader) Again, I had heard a lot about Flat Stanley, and after reading the original book by Jeff Brown I wanted to read the adventures written today. I honestly couldn't even finish this one - it was so didactic with unnaturally dialogue that I couldn't enjoy it.
Shaundell
Flat Stanley is so names because his bulletin board in his room fell on top of him and flattened him. He is a local celebrity. In this book, he and his family are traveling to South Dakota, where they see Mt. Rushmore and are able to participate in a gold rush.
Dree
OK, 3.5 stars. A new series of Flat Stanley stories. That are just as meh as the original. I read these out loud to my first grader as bedtime stories (his choice). The writing is so stilted, and am I the only one who really doesn't like Stanley's parents?
Beth
The short chapters and fun illustrations are a good start, but the vocab is a bit heavy and some paragraph meander into digressions. Maybe this would be better for strong readers, but not a hit with my reluctant reader.
Tal
this is a great book for kids! it speaks to competition between siblings, "girl issues" (not in depth though, thank goodness) and different things Mount Rushmore has to offer. good book all the way around!
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
The Mount Rushmore book keeps students engaged. I teach second grade and they are fascinated by his adventure. I like the big vocaulary words in this book which requires the reader to use context clues.
Maggie
Kaethe
Flat Stanley isn't really grabbing me. Although it is fun to read about a trip to Mount Rushmore the day after we watched Nation Treasure 2: Book of Secrets again.
Ethan
Caren
These new Flat Stanley's are similar to the Magic Treehouse series, in that you learn a little history while reading.
Good choice for younger grades.
  • The African Safari Discovery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #6)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • Detective Camp (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #1)
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Space Explorers (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #4)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
Clementine (Clementine, #1) The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2) Summer of the Gypsy Moths Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3) Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)