Start by marking “The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)

The Sword Of The Templars (Templar #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  3,094 ratings  ·  139 reviews
From the USA Today bestselling author of The Aztec Heresy

A mystery that spans the past

A conspiracy that lives on in the heart of an ancient order...

Army Ranger Lt. Col. John Holliday had resigned himself to ending his career teaching at West Point. When his uncle passes away, Holliday discovers a medieval sword-wrapped in Adolf Hitler's personal battle standard. But whe
Published July 7th 2009 by Signet (first published May 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword Of The Templars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword Of The Templars

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownTimeline by Michael CrichtonThe Templar Legacy by Steve Berry
Treasure Hunter Thrillers
91st out of 266 books — 592 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownComrades of Deceit by Anthony HulseA Pound of Flesh by Stuart S. Laing
Modern/Historical Thrillers
110th out of 129 books — 211 voters

More lists with this book...

Larry
I enjoy the occasional thriller, and I have an abiding interest in the medieval order called The Poor Fellow-soldiers of Jesus Christ and Solomon's Temple, or Knights Templar, for short. Since Dan Brown's silly little fairy tale, there have been many offerings in the thriller genre dealing with these Crusader-monks and their putative hidden purpose and succession down into the present. I enjoy these tales, as far-fetched and obviously ridiculous as most of them are, because they make for a pleas ...more
Pamela
Highly entertaining and intriguing.....

“The mattress looked as though someone had gone at it with a butcher knife; there were feathers and shreds of ticking everywhere. The drawers in the bureau hung open like lolling tongues, and clothes were scattered all around the room . . . His heart hammered in his chest; the smart thing would be to turn around and run.”

Action . . . Adventure . . . Mystery . . . Suspense: The Sword of the Templars. A captivating story weaving through conspiracies, legends,
Matt
I quite enjoyed the first book in Christopher's Templar series, but was left wondering a few things:

1) Where was this great writing in the Finn Ryan series?

2) Where was Cotton Malone (book reminded me a lot of Steve Berry)?

3) What does he have in store?

I liked the fast-paced nature of the book and the plots that came to the forefront. Holiday sped all around the world, meeting numerous other characters and the reader was able to learn a great deal about so many countries and cultures. Christophe
Scott Brook
This was a different reading venture than what I usually attempt. I wanted to delve into some of the history of the Templars, started with this book and realized it was going to be a quick read. It was and, unfortunately, so was the story. I felt as though too much backstory was being pushed into a very fast-paced storyline and it felt rather cluttered. The characters were accomplishing goal after goal at an extremely high rate. If only I could be this lucky while treasure hunting!!!

Overall, it
Abigail Grove
I could not recommend this book any less. There are perhaps a few historical lessons to be learned but with the way it is presented you would be much better off (and i'm sure better informed) with a work of non fiction. The plot itself is very patchy and far too fast paced as the characters skip through countries in the blink of an eye, the authors lectures on the historical context make up a very large portion of the book and an equally large portion to dull descriptions of both people and envi ...more
Supraja
Paul Christopher's a quick paced, mythological thriller, The Sword of the Templars is an first book in the series by him on the Templar myth. The story begins with the death of, John Holliday's, uncle Henry Granger and him inheriting a sword, along with his niece, Peggy Blackstock. The sword is found to be one of the most coveted artifact of Templar history and contains a ancient coded message that could possibly lead to long lost Templar treasures.

Soon it comes to their attention that the sword
Leslie
This book was cliched and really skimpy on research and style. The plot was unbelievable with little characterization. I only finished it so I could legitimately write this review. It was like reading the outline for a book instead of a book. Even my writing has been affected by this book.If you want to read about Templars, try the Raymond Khoury book.
Sue Gill
its not bad but has little to recomend it iver others if its genre. The set up is flimsy. The characters underdeveloped and rather stereotypical. The older male with bith academic and martial skills the perky young female who needs to have things explained to her when not being saved but still manages to be plucky and eager.
These people gave up thier normal schedules to run round the globe with never a concern about missed appointments or commitments and a seemingly endless amount of funds.
I fou
Gary
This book was a random pick from the shelf as I wanted something different to read other than sci-fi or fantasy which I really enjoy reading but need a break from, and I really enjoyed reading it.

The plot was good and I like the historic back ground that was used as well. The one thing that I would of liked to have was the suspense of not knowing what was going to happen to characters next, that can't be helped as the plot concentrates on the main two characters only other characters come and g
Wendy
A treasure hunt precipitated by a Templar sword wrapped in a Nazi flag Doc Holliday inherited from his uncle. It's reminiscent of Indiana Jones / National Treasure. It's pretty action-packed and fast-paced. Appreciated that just as I was wondering why the uncle did not look for this treasure while he was still alive, the characters also aired this same sentiment. Maybe I've read too many of these kinds of books, but this one's pretty standard fare. Might continue reading on with the series just ...more
Gils
I randomly found this in the store when I was looking for fiction on the Templars and the Freemasons. This sort of magically appeared in front of me. So naturally I looked up some reviews on goodreads. I should have heeded their advice because this was seriously disappointing.

There was so much detail on one tiny thing in every paragraph that I was constantly skimming or falling asleep. I didn't like the direction the story was taking and I felt like a lot of it was filler. So, I flounce. It didn
Alexi
I went into this book expecting to enjoy it, but ended up pitching it across the room in indignation by the end of the first chapter. Why?
First off, the book starts out in a classroom setting, with a teacher lecturing at his students. Not exactly a gripping start to a story to begin with, but worse was the heavily opinionated tone of the lecture. Christopher was presenting us with the necessary historical "information" about the Knights Templar that we needed to understand his story...but with
Dark-Draco
Lieutenant Colonel John Holliday is happy teaching history at West Point. When his Uncle Henry dies, he discovers a medieval sword hidden in a secret drawer and is almost immediately approached by Henry's lawyer, claiming that Henry stole it. When the house is burned down and the sword almost stolen, Holliday, and his neice Peggy, are determined to find out the truth. They are drawn on a treasure hunt that takes them to England, Israel, France and Portugal, persued by both the Catholic church an ...more
James Lyon
This was a barely literate stinker. I want my money back! I picked this up thinking it would be a decent adventure romp that would help me kill time on the plane. But it was so bad that I actually threw it away in disgust after the first 100 pages. And when I say "threw", I was so upset that I spent money on this piece of trash that I hurled the book across the room. The writing was amateurish: long, detailed descriptions of ornate interiors and exteriors that have nothing whatsoever to do with ...more
Geoffrey Makstutis
I've always had a thing for the Templars and the Crusades, both in history and fiction. While this book fits neatly into the historical quest genre (ala Dan Brown), it has some redeeming features. The fact that it treats the Templars not as heroes, but as money-grabbing thugs during the Crusades, is rather refreshing.

The plotting of the story won't surprise anyone, but the historical asides are diverting and add some interest. The one thing that I did find absurd was the James Bond-esque habit
David Jones
Book three of the year was Sword of the Templars by Paul Christopher. I haven't really read more then a couple Templar related books but I've always been fascinated by Medieval era things.

The first you'll notice is the author uses tons of details for everything. He comes across as an obvious history buff and weapons buff in general. I myself, can't say I'm thoroughly knowledge on those subjects so I have to take them at face value. I found that the details were pretty easy to brush over to avoid
Radi Radev
Още в първите редове на тази книга срещаме името на Дан Браун и е споменат филма „Индиана Джоунс и последният кръстоносен поход“. Логично е "Мечът на тамплиерите" да е свързан с мистерии, опасности, археология и криптограми.
Лично за мен този роман се чете доста по-леко от "Шифърът на Леонардо". Пол Кристофър е майстор на диалозите и е способен само в една реплика мъдро да обобщи мнението си за здравето и смъртта:

Victor Torres Jr.
I picked up this book because of my interest in the Knights Templars and their treasures. I'm also a fan of adventure and thrillers. This book didn't work for me. The research seemed pretty questionable to me and everything was way to easy for the protagonist. They moved from country to country in a matter of minutes. They resolved issues instantly and got away with what would be considered murders with no type of outcome. Just a bit to far-fetched for me.
Kathleen Messmer
Christopher's books are so addicting I have a hard time getting anything else done! This particular series includes a West Point instructor and his niece. His Uncle and her Grandfather (the same person) dies and leaves them a hair-raising mystery to solve that takes them around the world being pursued by numerous bad guys. I loved all the twists and turns and the ending is just as it should be. Read it! You won't be sorry.
Peter
I have been reading a fair number of books with the Knights Templar as the common theme. I am really beginning to recognize the historical names and places that can be correctly accounted for. This was another take on the mythology that has sprung up around the whole "Templar Treasure" that has never been found.
It was a good read. I did find the action a bit hard to swallow given that the main character is a professor at West Point. Sure he had military training and such, but after a few years
Robert
Stacy
This book tries to keep up with similar stories like The Davinci Code and the National Treasure movies (they are, in fact, quoted and referred to several times). I'm sorry, but while the premise is well conceived I was disappointed in the development. It falls short of the standards the author set for it. Okay book if you have no expectations.
Autumn
It was an entertaining read. Not earth-shattering brilliant literature, but it was packed with action and adventure and to be honest the end left me wanting more. I won't be disappointed as there are a string of these novels that I assume follows the characters introduced in this one. Another novel or two in and I might rethink this opinion- it might leave me singing higher praises or bemoaning the fact I got sucked into more.

I'm a sucker for anything 'templar'- be it based in historical fact or
Sharon Thomson
**spoiler**

I wondered where this book was going and I found out in the last couple of pages - it was going on to book 2. What a let down. Nothing much happened in this book except an increasing body count! A lot of coincidental things happened, but didn't tell you anything.
Greer Andjanetta
A story in the Dan Brown format, ancient doings, hidden treasure and templar artifacts provoke current day murders and mystery. An entertaining story (first of several in a series) but the writing style is not as crisp or captivating as Brown's.
Dan Dupre
A bit slow in the beginning but quickly sped up into a swift pace with adequate pauses in action. Good description of places I've never seen. Nice ending that let one know its done for now but definitely not over. I'm looking forward to the next installment of the series.
Scott Nichols
A story written in the vein of people thrown into the ancient archeological and mystic world of the Templar Lore. The main characters are drawn somewhat simply and do not really move outside of their 2-dimensional structure.

Overall, its a decent enough thriller written in this niche.
Damien
Very interesting plot, but very poor delivery. Whole book leaves you in nowhere land. You can't really tell if you're amazed or annoyed. Feeling is just like reading something generated by 12 monkeys, lacks that something which makes it different from all other books of same genre.
Rita McDowell
Very Good Read!

If you enjoy excitement with a touch of history then this read is the answer! Excellent entertainment and will leave you wanting more! Enjoy!
Anita
Medieval mystery, hidden symbols and codes, so I was rather surprised at my inability to get into the plot. I tried, I really did. But even till the end, it didn't do it for me. By my standard, there was quite a bit of historical information (which I've encountered in books of similar genre), which for whatever reason, I found to be dry and boring this time around. That aside, the plot had its fair share of cat-and-mouse, but to me, I found that the protagonists were mostly mouse, and for three- ...more
Disappointed 2 8 Jan 01, 2015 06:51PM
  • The Lost Temple
  • On the Fifth Day
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Sacred Blood
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
  • The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds, #1)
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Double Eagle (Tom Kirk, #1)
  • The Sanctuary
  • The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • The Prophecy (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #5)
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • Pyramid
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...

Templar (9 books)
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)
  • The Templar Legion (Templar, #5)
  • Red Templar (Templar, #6)
  • Valley Of The Templars (Templar, #7)
  • Lost City of the Templars (Templar, #8)
  • Secret of the Templars (Templar, #9)
The Templar Cross (Templar, #2) Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1) The Templar Throne (Templar, #3) The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4) The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2)