Start by marking “Letters from My Windmill” as Want to Read:
Letters from My Windmill

Letters from My Windmill

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  3,698 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Alphonse Daudet's novels established him as the most successful writer in France by the end of the XIX century; but it was the LETTERS, first published in book form in 1869, which remained his favourite creation and has proved his most lasting.

Throughout his working life in Paris Daudet never lost his almost umbilical attachment to Provence. These tales of that region are
Paperback, first paperback edition of this tranlation, 224 pages
Published June 29th 1978 by Penguin Classics (first published 1869)

Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont

There are places I like to revisit. There are books I like to revisit also, rich with the memory of past places. I first read the wholly delightful Letters from my Windmill by Alphonse Daudet when I was on holiday with my parents in Provence, in Avignon, to be exact. It was from there, the city of the popes, that we explored the surrounding countryside; from there we discovered the charm and magic of this special part of La France profonde – deep France.

I’ve also managed to recapture the time an
Jane
Aug 05, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
I am given to understand that Alphonse Daudet's novels established him as the most successful writer in France by the end of the 19th century, and yet I must confess that I hadn't heard of him until a few weeks ago, when I spotted this book.

I loved the title, and the premise intrigued me.

The book began with an extract from a bill of sale:

"To Mr Alphonse Daudet, poet, living in Paris, here present and accepting it:

A windmill and flourmill, located in the Rhône valley, in the heart of Provence, o

Jim
Apr 23, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19th-century-lit
Letters from My Windmill is a bit of a misnomer, as letters are not involved. What Daudet gives us, instead, is a series of short sketches mostly set in Provence around Arles, though there are a couple set in Algeria. Some of the sketches are obviously contemporary, while others are set in the Middle Ages or the 17th century.

It is interesting to see Daudet refer to characters from novels by his contemporaries. One essay addresses Pierre Gringoire, the poet from Victor Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris
Brian
Aug 09, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Reading this book is like taking a little vacation in southern France in the mid 1800's. Not a bad place or time to be. Daudet had the ability to make the countryside come alive in his pages. His descriptions of the environment and his surroundings were beautifully rendered. This is a book of observations, folk tales, daily comings and goings as told from his windmill.

If you have ever passed the night in the open under the stars, you will know that while we are sleeping a mysterious world awaken
Trang
Jul 15, 2016 Trang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Cả tập truyện toát ra hơi thở êm ả, bình yên mà mơ màng vùng thôn dã, đọc truyện mà tưởng như ngửi được phảng phất xung quanh cả mùi thơm dìu dịu của cỏ khô, của rơm rạ hay mấy loài hoa dại không tên nào đó...

Câu chuyện mình thích nhất là Cái chết của thái tử, không hiểu sao thấy cảnh cuối cùng khi Thái tử quay đầu vào tường và khóc có gì đó thơ ngây mà buồn quá đỗi.
Kathy
J'adore: "Le Chevre de M Seguin" . . .
Caroline
Whimsical stories and legends set in Provence, supposedly related by the denizen of a windmill no longer used to grind wheat; in fact one of the stories is about how the coming of the steam-driven mill drove the windmills out of business and left the village in a pitiful state. The French and English are en-face, in fact it is one of a series intended for long-ago students of French to brush up their skills, which is perfect as I am Paris-bound next month.

So I read it in French, with the transla
Arcadius
Oct 26, 2011 Arcadius rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-classics

Once among France's leading literary lights, Daudet is largely forgotten today. This collection of stories and sketches, almost all set in Provence or neighbouring territories, contains nothing very earth-shattering, but it is an easy read, big on charm and local colour, and the illustrations by Edward Ardizzone in this edition make a nice bonus. The distinctive culture of Languedoc (as opposed to France) was still just alive at the time Daudet was writing, as we can glimpse from time in stories
Alik
Feb 14, 2010 Alik rated it really liked it
Goodness may be extremely irritating in a book. In this book the effect is somehow minimized. Read it in Russian.
cuddle.thereader
Aug 10, 2016 cuddle.thereader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Những câu chuyện nhỏ chứa những nỗi buồn nhẹ nhàng phảng phất khắp những trang sách.
Luan Le
Jul 24, 2016 Luan Le rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
đọc mà cứ sợ nó hết, ngày chủ nhật trôi qua nhẹ nhàng với những cảm xúc mà cuốn sách mang lại....
Mike
Jan 16, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned
Daudet, known as "the Dickens of France," was on par with Flaubert in his time, but has since fallen off the radar outside France. My interest in his writing stems from Zola and James, both of whom claimed him as a favorite writer. This collection of melancholy, pastoral tales of the Provence region of France has a promising concept: our narrator takes up residence in a small, dilapidated windmill, from which he writes tales, responds to letters, and relates local legends, always making a stark ...more
Sophiebird
Aug 15, 2010 Sophiebird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the peace and tranquility rarely found today
I read this as a download from prusing Gutenberg, not sure why exactly. The letters as it seems are pretty much letters to the reader of memorable happenings,mostly short musings of bits of daily life in Provence, no major drama or such, but so refreshing to pick up for a quick de-stressor and be transported to another time and another mentality. The descriptions of the countryside completely place you there without a lot of wordy fluff - no bejeweled carpet, or such.

"Come January, thousands of
Taha
Jul 07, 2015 Taha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitapta bahsedilen değirmenin bulunduğu, yazarın övüp durduğu Fransa'daki Provence isimli yeri araştırdım. Lavantalarıyla ünlü bir yer olan Provence gerçekten de yazarın anlattığı kadar güzele benziyor:
description
description
Kitap gerçekten değirmende yaşayan bir tanıdığınız size mektuplar yazıyormuş, gezdikleri yerleri ya da anılarını anlatıyormuş hissi veriyor. Sıcak ve samimi bir kitap. Ama beni belli bir yerden sonra sıkmaya başladı. Yazarın yazdıklarında bir düzen ve kurgu aramaya başladım. Ama bulamadım:(
Ayrıca
Yann
May 04, 2014 Yann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, fiction
De tous les jolis dictons, proverbes ou adages, dont nos paysans de Provence passementent leurs discours, je n'en sais pas un plus pittoresque ni plus singulier que celui-ci. A quinze lieues autour de mon moulin, quand on parle d'un homme rancunier, vindicatif, on dit "Cet homme-là! méfiez-vous!... il est comme la mule du Pape, qui garde sept ans son coup de pied."
فاروق الفرشيشي
J'ai lu la version arabe (simplifiée) depuis longtemps, et je ne sais pas pourquoi je la trouve meilleure que cette version originale. Certes, il y a plus de nouvelles, plus de goût provençal, mais moins drôle.
Nino Frewat
Nov 10, 2011 Nino Frewat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-fiction
I'm ambivalent when it comes to reading volumes of short stories, but this one, I will always be coming back to it
Ellen
Sep 02, 2007 Ellen rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Dull, Biligual People
Boring as hell.
Marijan
Oct 02, 2015 Marijan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Zbirka emotivno nabijenih pripovijedaka iz Provanse.
Francois
Des petites nouvelles qui font sourire.
Lana
Nov 06, 2016 Lana rated it it was amazing
Đây là cuốn sách yêu thích nhất của tôi trong mọi cuốn sách tôi đã đọc. Văn phong nhẹ nhàng, bay bổng, nghịch ngợm và sâu lắng. Những trang sách miêu tả khung cảnh đồng quê Provence yên bình như hút tôi vào đó. Đôi lúc tôi thấy mình, không, khát khao mình được hóa thân vào chính tác giả, ngồi trong cối xay gió cũ kỹ ngắm nhìn những đàn cừu đang đi lên ngọn đồi phía na, nằm dài trên bãi biển dưới ngọn hải đăng ngắm đàn hải âu bay lượn trong gió. Những mẩu chuyện nhỏ, tưởng chừng rời rạc, nhưng lạ ...more
Cmeo
Dec 18, 2016 Cmeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nhẹ nhàng, giản dị, thơm mùi cỏ dại với cánh đồng lúa mạch, với đàn dê, với hương đồi núi miền Nam nước Pháp.

Ece
Dec 26, 2016 Ece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rahatlatan hoş bir kitap, içinde çeşitli öyküler barındıran, değirmen ve çevresinde yaşanmış olan efsaneler de anlatılıyor beni en çok etkileyen değirmenci Cornille usta'nın öyküsüydü.
Davide
Il libro è una serie di racconti provenzali di Daudet, pubblicati su un giornale francese e qui raccolti e pubblicati.
ნინო ქერდიყოშვილი
ყველას გვდევს ჩვენი პარიზი თან.დაე, ვიოცნებოთ, თამამად ვურტყათ დოლს,ვურტყათ,რაც ძალი და ღონე გვაქვს.
Huy
Dec 31, 2016 Huy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
giữa mùa đông hơi lạnh của Việt Nam mà đọc về mùa hè tuyệt diệu của nước Pháp là mình cứ ngơ ngẩn vì cảnh sắc và mơ mộng được đến Pháp :P
Frumenty
Feb 05, 2014 Frumenty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little at a loss to explain why anyone bothers to read this book any more. Maybe there are cultural factors at work that I'm not aware of. Daudet appears to have written this book in much the same way I sometimes read the less engaging books that I embark on. He begins with flourish, then quickly runs out of enthusiasm (and ideas); from the fact that he sets off on a quite different tack I infer that he has picked it up after a longish hiatus; then another hiatus is apparent since he gets ...more
Phong-Lan BÙI
La thư he, la nhưng câu chuyên nho đâm vi cô tich. Tư mơ đâu cho đên kêt thuc, đong lai trong ngươi đoc la vi nông thôn miên Nam nươc Phap đăc trưng va không lân vao đâu đươc, vơi nhưng côi xay gio cu, nhưng canh đông, vươn nho, nha thơ, tu viên, nhưng hôi chơ, nhưng ngươi nông chân va đan gia suc cua ho,... xa xa hơn nưa la nhưng con tau vươt trung dương va nhưng ngon hai đăng đây cô đôc giưa biên.

Tac gia Daudet cung kê cho chung ta nhưng câu chuyên ki bi, đâm mui cô tich va dân gian như Con lư
Yahya
Sep 15, 2016 Yahya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful trip with Daudet from France especially from Provence to Algeria and back to France.. The most stories/letters I love is "Le portfeuille de Bixiou" and "La legende de l'homme a la cervelle d'or" .. And I found out the origin of some things that my culture use but I didn't know from where they are.
Bouquins en Francais: French Classics 8 43 May 25, 2013 11:38AM
  • La Gloire de mon père
  • Le Médecin Malgré Lui
  • Le Lion
  • La mare au diable
  • Contes de la Bécasse
  • Paroles
  • Le Barbier de Séville ou La Précaution Inutile
  • Le jeu de l'amour et du hasard
  • Fables
  • Lorenzaccio
  • La symphonie pastorale
  • Les Malheurs de Sophie (Trilogie de Fleurville, #1)
  • Poil de Carotte
  • The Horseman on the Roof
  • Les Caractères
Alphonse Daudet (13 May 1840 – 16 December 1897) was a French novelist. He was the father of Léon Daudet and Lucien Daudet.

Aphonse Daudet was born in Nîmes, France. His family, on both sides, belonged to the bourgeoisie. The father, Vincent Daudet, was a silk manufacturer — a man dogged through life by misfortune and failure. Alphonse, amid much truancy, had a depressing boyhood. In 1856 he left L
More about Alphonse Daudet...

“Et comme j’essayais de lui expliquer ce que c’était que ces mariages, je sentis quelque chose de frais et de fin peser légèrement sur mon épaule. C’était sa tête alourdie de sommeil qui s’appuyait contre moi avec un joli froissement de rubans, de dentelles et de cheveux ondés. Elle resta ainsi sans bouger jusqu’au moment où les astres du ciel pâlirent, effacés par le jour qui montait. Moi, je la regardais dormir, un peu troublé au fond de mon être, mais saintement protégé par cette claire nuit qui ne m’a jamais donné que de belles pensées. Autour de nous, les étoiles continuaient leur marche silencieuse, dociles comme un grand troupeau ; et par moments je me figurais qu’une de ces étoiles, la plus fine, la plus brillante ayant perdu sa route, était venue se poser sur mon épaule pour dormir..” 7 likes
“Mais oui, maîtresse... Tenez ! juste au-dessus de nous, voilà le Chemin de saint Jacques (la Voie lactée). Il va de France droit sur l’Espagne. C’est saint Jacques de Galice qui l’a tracé pour montrer sa route au brave Charlemagne lorsqu’il faisait la guerre aux Sarrasins. Plus loin, vous avez le Char des Ames (la Grande Ourse) avec ses quatre essieux resplendissants. Les trois étoiles qui vont devant sont les Trois Bêtes, et cette toute petite contre la troisième c’est le Charretier. Voyez-vous tout autour cette pluie d’étoiles qui tombent ? Ce sont les âmes dont le bon Dieu ne veut pas chez lui... Un peu plus bas, voici le Râteau ou les Trois Rois (Orion). C’est ce qui nous sert d’horloge, à nous autres. Rien qu’en les regardant, je sais maintenant qu’il est minuit passé. Un peu plus bas, toujours vers le midi, brille Jean de Milan, le flambeau des astres (Sirius). Sur cette étoile-là, voici ce que les bergers racontent. Il paraît qu’une nuit Jean de Milan, avec les Trois Rois et la Poussinière (la Pléiade), furent invités à la noce d’une étoile de leurs amies. Poussinière, plus pressée, partit, dit-on, la première, et prit le chemin haut. Regardez-la, là-haut, tout au fond du ciel. Les Trois Rois coupèrent plus bas et la rattrapèrent ; mais ce paresseux de Jean de Milan, qui avait dormi trop tard, resta tout à fait derrière, et furieux, pour les arrêter, leur jeta son bâton. C’est pourquoi les Trois Rois s’appellent aussi le Bâton de Jean de Milan... Mais la plus belle de toutes les étoiles, maîtresse, c’est la nôtre, c’est l’Etoile du Berger, qui nous éclaire à l’aube quand nous sortons le troupeau, et aussi le soir quand nous le rentrons. Nous la nommons encore Maguelonne, la belle Maguelonne qui court après Pierre de Provence (Saturne) et se marie avec lui tous les sept ans” 2 likes