Start by marking “The Confessions of Noa Weber” as Want to Read:
The Confessions of Noa Weber

The Confessions of Noa Weber

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Acclaimed author Noa Weber has a successful “feminist” life: a strong career, a wonderful daughter she raised alone, and she is a recognized and respected cultural figure. Yet her interior life is bound by her obsessive love for one man—Alek, a Russian émigré and the father of her child, who has drifted in and out of her life.

Trying to understand—as well as free herself fr
Published February 10th 2009 by Melville House (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Confessions of Noa Weber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confessions of Noa Weber

Anne
At first, I hated this book. But after reading well into the story, I began to admire the honesty of the author in her quest to understand the addidction to, the obsession for a man. Did she teach me anything? Probably not. But she might have given me some things to think about.

My friend, who recommended and lent the book to me, placed a note on the cover, exclaiming, "Enjoy!" No. I didn't "enjoy" this book. But here are some quotes that kept me going:

"Now too I do not think that I fell in love
Amy

Noa Weber is a wealthy, single woman who late in life decides to write her memoirs. She’s been a single mother and a successful novelist, but her life is most marked by her obsession with a Russian Jew named Alek. Their relationship is filled with complications and at many times is completely one sided on her part: Alek has a full life without her. Noa’s life experience is more complex than most. Her attempt to recall her past motivations and experiences is problematic: “There’s a kind of lie in
Lewis Manalo
Noa Weber is a lady obsessed with her baby daddy. She's straight addicted to him, which may not be a new story, but this is the first time I've ever heard the story told from the point of view of a feminist Israeli woman.

Just as Noa contends with her identity as a feminist who's whipped, she also delves into the ironies and hypocrisies of Israeli identity, of a youth as a Commie, and of motherhood.

Noa's voice was difficult to get used to, but once you realize how self-effacing it is, she becomes
Iwokeinrelief
This was good.

If that sounds dismissive then so be it – the book was well written, at times it was very well written, and (I can only assume as I don’t speak the original language) well translated – but I’m of the opinion that, for the most part, if I can summarize a book’s plot in three basic sentences and not leave anything of significance out, than I probably am not going to think very highly of the book, no matter how well written it might be. This likely speaks more of me as a reader, and m
Kiessa
Around the World in 52 Books: Israel

This award-winning translated novel by feminist author Gail Hareven of Israel is one that provoked a mixed and wide range of emotions in me.

Forty-seven year-old Noa Weber has spent 29 years actively, but secretly, consumed by obsessive "love" for a man who does not return her "love." I use the word love only because she did. At numerous points throughout the book I had to wonder if the character's "love" could more aptly be described as a powerful combination
Melville House Publishing
Acclaimed middle-aged writer Noa Weber—acclaimed both as a writer and as one of Israel’s leading feminists—has all the trappings of a successful “feminist” life: She has a strong career, a wonderful daughter she raised alone, and she’s a respected cultural figure. Yet her interior life is inextricably bound by her love for a man—Alek, a Russian émigré and the father of her child, who, over the years, has drifted in and out of her life.

Trying to understand—as well as free herself from—this lifelo
Daisy
Jun 28, 2010 Daisy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Daisy by: Amy Henry
It's honest. And readable and interesting and I had a good time with it. 3 1/2 stars.
Noa is a contradiction. She's intellectual and analytical and practical about life and love and all that goes with it. But it spite of that, a phrase she uses often, she's completely taken over by the love and obsession and longing for one man. (She even wonders at one point if she can say anything new about longing. Apparently she can--300+ pages of it).
I kept thinking it's kind of an unremarkable story told in
Sharlene
I have a love-hate affair with Overdrive. I love that I can borrow and return books without having to leave my bed. It’s got a pretty good selection – you should see my ‘wish list’ (where I’ve added books to read). But it also sucks – I can’t highlight passages, I can only bookmark pages. I know it’s a borrowed e-book but I would love to be able to highlight sections of the book to come back to later when I’m writing my review. But no…. just bookmarks, no highlighting, no note-taking.

So here I a
Jean Kelly
This seemed to be a story from beginning to end that deals with the question of love - a young girl falls for a somewhat older man, has a child, married for less than romantic reasons. She seems to know from the beginning that he doesn't love her yet she spends all of the rest of her life is a relationship of sorts with him and this love is the be all and end all for her. Sadly, I did find the sentiment familiar and with a disturbing ring of truth.
Susann
3.5 stars. Noa has been obsessed with the same man for 30 years. How do I know she has a true addiction to Alek? Because when she talks about him, she sounds eerily similar to Heidi Fleiss talking about her drug addiction on "Celebrity Rehab." (One never knows where one's guilty TV pleasure will take one.)

Noa is full of contradictions. Even though her 30-year obsession is clearly not healthy, she doesn't come across as a victim. Her addiction seems both out of her control and a conscious choice.
I finished this award-winning book overwhelmed with loathing and fury that its author is touted as a "feminist" writer. Essentially, it consists of a first-person monologue of an obsessive personality detailing over far too many excruciating pages her decades-long preoccupation with an absolutely contemptible love-interest. I found it impossible to separate the author from her character and find each unforgivable. That the character Noa Weber achieves career success and literary recognition in h ...more
Dana
Noa Weber is a successful Israeli author of crime thrillers that feature a female-lawyer version of James Bond, Nira Woolf. Now, however, she is sitting down to write a confession of her all-consuming unrequited love for Alek, which has ruled her life.

This is the first book translated into English by Israeli author Gail Hareven. Hareven certainly has a way with words, although credit should also go to her translator, Dalya Bilu. The writing in this book pulled me in from the first page, and it w
Silvia
Fremevo dalla curiosità di leggere Le confessioni di Noa Weber senza sapere bene perché. Forse perché mi sono resa conto di non poter sempre leggere autori maschi. Forse perché non vedevo l’ora di leggere un ebook de La Giuntina. Forse perché speravo, non invano, di ritrovare un’eco della scrittura onesta e limpida di Shulim Vogelman, che ha tradotto il libro. Forse perché mi attirava la copertina, con queste splendide labbra leggermente imbronciate colorate di verde.

Ad ogni modo, non a torto fr
Irving
This story about Moa Weber os about a liberal who lives in Israel, Basically it 's abou Noa, Alex, her husband and lover. She is fixated on him toe degree to adegree. They
are married but he doen''t love her but respects her. He is a traveler that's in and out of her bed while trafeling around Europe while sleeping with other women and having children, He has a daughter, Hagur,. who he not attched to nor does he ignore her. .
Noa is a bright women, lawyer, and a famous author. Is love blind?

Merg
August Bourré
Perhaps the best thing I've read about obsessive love, if only because Noa Weber's love for Alek is not just felt, it is thought and understood, the obsession acknowledged and weaved deliberately into the fabric of her life rather than dismissed or reviled or 'worked on' in some way. For every moment where Noa looks pathetic for loving so undeserving a man as Alek with such blind intensity, there are a dozen that make her look triumphant and wise.

Hareven rambles a bit, and the book has a tendenc
Lauren Albert
Beautiful and compelling book about a woman's obsession with a man. Hareven enables the reader to see how one can live in two selves--one which behaves and the other which sees and judges the behavior. The narrator's story is a great example about how our lives are often shaped positively by seemingly negative events or behaviors. The book shows the complexity of human emotion and behavior.
E. Ilana Diamant
Portrait of a/the female writer as a possessed individual.
NOT to be read in one sitting!
Possessed = lovesick and love tortured, self-involved and self-loathing, naive and serious.
I disagree though with the author's "prescription" that contempt whether from others or the self can help in such cases. If it did, many therapists would be out of business.
Katie
I heard about this one on NPR's book segment, and instantly wanted to read it. I wasn't disappointed, and had to keep reminding myself that it was a translation, because at times the language was so precise and evocative that I marveled at what it must be like to read it in its original Hebrew. This book will move you.

Re-read February 2011.
Don Hackett
This book makes a good pair with The Bad Girl, by Vargas Llosa: Obsessive loves fragmented across recent history, one of a man for a woman, and this book of a woman for a man. I might have given The Bad Girl 5 stars because the male perspective touches me closer to my heart, but they are both very good books.
Shannon
This might be the best thing I've read it years!!! I think I will make it (and me) sound dumb if I try to elaborate. This is the only book by Gail Hareven (an Israeli author) that's been translated into English, and you should all read it.
Erika Dreifus
Terrific book. Was so glad to see it win an award for Best Translated Fiction this year. See my early take on it here/
Heather
A strange and lovely book. Noa Weber was alternately a sympathetic and vaguely repulsive character, but she was compelling and interesting at all times.
Elizabeth
I kept waiting for something to happen. Some beautiful passages... the book perfectly captures the feeling of suspended time and waiting
Kari
Interesting ideas, just dragged on about 200 pages too long. I didn't find any passages worthy of an underline past page 140.
Jessica Zu
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." Hareven certainly knows how to write without any paradox!
Ariellering
Perhaps it was the translation, but the prose was insipid and forced. Not a compelling read.
Virginia
Didn't finish- good idea but just couldn't get into the obsessive lover angle.
Susan
This book has such amazing translation that I cannot put it down!
gwen
I think this book lost a lot in translation, unfortunately.
Beth
  • Limassol
  • Badenheim 1939
  • The Debba
  • There Are Jews in My House
  • The 188th Crybaby Brigade: A Skinny Jewish Kid from Chicago Fights Hezbollah--A Memoir
  • Almost Dead
  • The Jokers
  • American Genius
  • The Armies
  • Walter Benjamin: The Story of a Friendship (New York Review Books Classics)
  • Husband and Wife
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
Gail Haraven is a writer from Israel. She is the author of six novels and three short story collections, as well as plays and nonfiction. She was awarded the prestigious Sapir Prize for Literature for The Confessions of Noa Weber, and currently lives in Jerusalem. The Confessions of Noa Weber is her first book translated into English.
More about Gail Hareven...
Lies, First Person לב מתעורר הדרך לגן עדן אני ליאונה האיש הנכון

“Love can be described as compulsive thinking. Compulsive thinking latches on to details and dwells on them as if they hold enormous significance which cannot be grasped in a moment.” 2 likes
“Sometimes you have to stick your finger down your throat and vomit up the disgusting insides of the self... sometimes you have to increase the nausea in order to get rid of the disgust...” 2 likes