Start by marking “George and Martha Rise and Shine” as Want to Read:
George and Martha Rise and Shine

George and Martha Rise and Shine (George and Martha)

In five brief episodes two hippos confirm their friendship: “The Fibber,” “The Experiment,” “The Picnic,” “The Scary Movie!,” and “The Secret Club.”
Published April 23rd 1979 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 29th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about George and Martha Rise and Shine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George and Martha Rise and Shine

Alicia
Nov 01, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George and Martha reminds me of the Frog and Toad books that I read as a kid. Both series were published around the same time and share a similar aesthetic. Rather than a story about a frog and a toad who are best friends, George and Martha is about two hippos who are best friends. Similar to Frog and Toad, George and Martha have very different and very child-like personalities. Rise and Shine contains three short stories about the two friends. While this early reader edition of Rise and Shine w ...more
Magila
May 06, 2013 Magila rated it really liked it
4.5
Samantha
Jan 09, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship, hippos
5 stories about two friends who are hippos.

The Fibber--George tells Martha a bunch of fibs and she calls his bluff.

The Experiment--Martha studies fleas with itchy results.

The Picnic--Martha desperately wants to have a picnic, but George won't get out of bed. She forces him to play along by propping his bed up on roller skates, but falls asleep after all her efforts.

The Scary Movie--George invites a hesitant Martha to see a scary movie, but ends up scaring himself.

The Secret Club--Martha is jeal
Jessica
Dec 03, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
George and Martha is a cute children's book about two hippos that are good friends. The book has short stories about their silly conversations and quirky adventures! My favorite story was story number four about the scary movie. George convinces Martha to go to her first scary movie! I thought it was very funny who Martha originally was very scared and George was acting all tough, but then Martha actually giggled through the movie when George ends up turning as white as sheet! The book has 5 cut ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 08, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This book isn't labeled a certain 'level' but I would put it a level 2 book. A 'merging' reader wouldn't take long to learn to read on their own with a little help. It's set up of four small (three to four pages) stories. Each page has three to four short sentences on them. With an illustration on the previous page. My granddaughter did pay attention through it but I started to loose her toward the end, it's kind of 'slow' but for a beginning reader it would be fine. My teenage special needs son ...more
Heidi Hart
Apr 07, 2014 Heidi Hart rated it it was amazing
Rediscovering Old Favorites with My Kids James Marshall's George and Martha stories were some of my favorite read-aloud books when I was a kid (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I thought the idea of pouring split pea soup into one's loafers was hilarious, and I loved the way Martha got revenge on George for violating her privacy in the bathtub. Now, I am delighted to find that these stories are truly timeless, and my little boys (1 and 3) love them as much as I did.
Angela Kim
Sep 17, 2012 Angela Kim rated it liked it
This book is divided into four sections. I think it is a good start for children to read chapter books. When I was reading this book, I got kind of bored because the words were not interesting and the illustrations were too simple. It could have used more colors to make children more interested. Also the story did not have a point. I don't think children will like this book as much as other chapter/section books.
Heather
Feb 21, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Great series of books - short and fun with lessons good for all ages

Story #1: The fibber / Was George Telling the Truth?

Story #2: The Experiment / What Was Martha Peering at under Her Microscope?

Story #3: The Scary Movie: Does Everyone Like Scary Movies?

Story #4: The Picnic: How Did George Like Martha’s Picnic?

Story #5: The Secret Club: Why Was George Spending So Much Time in His Secret Clubhouse?

Maria
May 24, 2008 Maria rated it really liked it
Love this book. It's divided into 5 little vignettes about George and Martha. It says the story is about "two fine friends" but they seem more like husband and wife to me. Maybe that's too racy for the under 10 crowd. I don't know. Anyway, I like it because Martha is feisty and has wild ideas while George is sweet and a little neurotic. There's something awfully familiar in their dynamic. Anyway, the book makes me laugh every time.
Mitchell
Aug 28, 2015 Mitchell rated it really liked it
To the best of my memory, I haven't read any George and Martha stories before today. Or at least they made very little impact on me. And the first two were kind of lame. But in this one Martha shines. Whether she is doing science on fleas or hopping on a pogo-stick - Martha is just that one step further out there that makes these stories less simple. I also liked George turning white as a ghost.
Stephanie Klaren
In the Green Light Readers addition there are only three stories about George and Martha: "The Fibber," "The Experiment," and "The Picnic." This is a level 2 book and it have a few harder vocabulary words in it, Laboratory for example. There are three different stories to read in this book which can get students ready to start reading small chapter books.
Abby
May 14, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing
George and Martha books were some of my favorites to read when I was a kid. I just checked George and Martha Rise and Shine out from the library to read with my niece. I really like the set up of these books. I like how they are comprised of multiple, shorter stories within one book. I think each story is a perfect length to engage young readers while keeping up a faster pace.
Lauren Brown
Dec 15, 2011 Lauren Brown rated it really liked it
This book is a really good book for reviewing truth. In the beginning George is trying to impress Martha and makes up some fibs. Martha ends up doing experiments and figures out they are fibs. This is a good book for younger readers K-2.

Natalie Hoist
Dec 05, 2016 Natalie Hoist rated it liked it
This was not my favorite book. It is a simple story, and the pictures are very bland. I wouldn't read this in my classroom because I think the students would loose interest very quickly.
Bree
Jun 26, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it
Notes:
frog-and-toad-style stories but very unique
best for age 6+ not pre-K
friendship messages and humor without moralizing
love the simple illustrations and text
Robert
Feb 18, 2011 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: fiction, 2-1, friendship, own, cfc
This is a collection of a few short stories. I'm not a big James Marshall fan. This book did nothing to change that. The stories were not funny. Perhaps I missed the point.
Don Gubler
funnier than some of the other George and Martha's
Judah
May 20, 2014 Judah rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
It's like Frog and Toad for platonic opposite sex friendships!!!

Courtney Burns
Another fine collection of stories.
Dana
Sep 27, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This series of stories were one of my favorites as a kid. Maisie is having a hard time finding the same kind of love, but would probably try a different set.
Sara
Mar 24, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute kids' story.
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2008
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Maureen Gallagher
Maureen Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
May 15, 2008
Ally
Ally rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2008
Beka
Beka rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
Audrey Clark
Audrey Clark rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • Lovable Lyle
  • Brownie & Pearl Hit the Hay
  • Race You to Bed
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)
  • Angus and the Cat
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Yummy: Eight Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Horsefly and Honeybee
  • Best Friends for Frances
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I
More about James Marshall...

George and Martha (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends