Start by marking “Essential French Grammar” as Want to Read:
Essential French Grammar

Essential French Grammar

This is the first French grammar designed specifically for adults with limited learning time who wish to acquire a knowledge of simple, everyday spoken French, and who have no need of all the archaic, highly literary, and seldom used forms that must be covered in a conventional grammar. It is not a simplified study, but a selective grammar that points out many time-saving ...more
Published June 1st 1961 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Essential French Grammar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential French Grammar

Samantha
Feb 24, 2017 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Terrific little mini-reference book for French grammar, but only useful if you already have a decent grasp on the language.

I'd recommend for rusty French speakers/readers who need a refresher or for those currently at an intermediate stage of learning the language. Assumes too much knowledge of both French grammar and grammatical rules in general for beginners.
Bryan
It's hard for me to gauge the usefulness of this quick grammar reference: on the one hand, advanced students are probably going to find it too simplistic, while at the same time it might be too advanced for beginners. On the other hand, the book doesn't claim to be anything more than what it is, which is a presentation of the essentials of French grammar. So, without exercises, and with a minimum of examples, the author addresses conjugating French verbs; word order; masculine, feminine and plur ...more
Stanley Daugherty
Jun 12, 2015 Stanley Daugherty rated it really liked it
A quick grammar that is helpful for those who have studied French in the past and need a brief review before moving to more advanced material.
Patrick
Jul 14, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: other
I've been studying on my own for a graduate school French proficiency exam, mostly using Sandberg and Tatham's French for Reading. French for Reading's greatest feature, in my opinion, is its multitude of reading exercises; it is, however, pretty weak on actually explaining the grammar it gives you to memorize. Resnick's book fills in that need pretty effectively.
J.B. B.
Jan 09, 2008 J.B. B. rated it it was amazing
this is a great, cheap companion to using conversation and things like rosetta stone to learn french. is really slowly filling in the holes in l'Françes des moi! (of course not well enough quite yet to know the correct phrase to use there !)
Thomas GOSSE
Dec 27, 2015 Thomas GOSSE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: français
Essential and compact French grammar. I keep a copy with me at all times so that I can review when I have some down time, such as waiting in a doctor's office.
Bi
Sep 02, 2016 Bi rated it really liked it
very helpful as a companion guide
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: language
None
Vickyish
Jul 26, 2016 Vickyish rated it it was amazing
Clear, concise, compact. Perfect! Great to refer to or quickly skim through, and everything is nicely organized. Helpful for when I get confused.
Mark Turnbull
Mark Turnbull rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Dominic Ocean
Dominic Ocean rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
haik
haik rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
John Winieski
John Winieski rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2016
Hannah Noel Parton
Hannah Noel Parton rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Isaac Johnson
Isaac Johnson rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Allison Evans
Allison Evans rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Lucija
Lucija rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Marc Snyder
Marc Snyder rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Halmstein
Halmstein rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Yvonne Stokoe
Yvonne Stokoe rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2016
Jim Linnane
Jim Linnane rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2015
Justin Isaac
Justin Isaac rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
amanda
amanda rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Nigel
Nigel rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Kelvin
Kelvin rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
David Grimaud
David Grimaud rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Solana
Solana rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Stephen Bassey
Stephen Bassey rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2017