Start by marking “1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII” as Want to Read:
1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII

1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Henry VIII is known stereotypically as a corpulent, covetous, and cunning king whose appetite for worldly goods met few parallels, whose wives met infamously premature ends, and whose religion was largely political in intent. By focusing on a pivotal year in the life of Henry, this study moves beyond the caricature to reveal a fuller portrait of this complex monarch. In 15 ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Lion UK (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 1536, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1536

This is one of the best books that I have ever read in regards to the personality of Henry VIII. Suzannah Lipscomb claims that the accumulated effects of 1536 worked together to deeply affect the personality and behaviour of Henry VIII and from this year onwards we can see the affects of these events in his tyrannical behaviour. Personally I have always felt that there was so much going on for Henry VIII during the year 1536, from the death of Katherine of Aragon to the fall of Anne Boleyn to th ...more
Penny
Henry VIII was born in 1491, over 500 years ago, and yet we seem as fascinated by him as ever. The stream of books, plays and TV programmes about him seems never ending.

I suppose it is tempting for writers and historians to try and think of a new slant on his life to write about. Lipscomb's book definitely does that - by choosing the year 1536 and arguing that it was pivotal in Henry's life, his annus horribilis.

The series of events in that year, starting early on with the death of his first wif
Kavita
1536 by Suzannah Lipscomb is a very interesting read, because of the theories explored explaining how the year of 1536 changed Henry VIII. Anne Boleyn's downfall, Pilgrimage of Grace, Henry Fitzroy's death, marriage to Jane Seymour, Katherine of Aragon's death, the onset of the Reformation, etc. ensured that this year was a turning point in the history of England, as well as a personal turning point for Henry.

The book has some interesting tidbits that I really enjoyed. I also learned new things
James
Henry is a very complex character, partly because he was so inconsistent when it came to wives, religion, but most of all... Temperament. So many people close to him at different stages of his life, met with grisly ends- More, Fisher, Cromwell, Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard. And of course Wolsey and first with Catherine of Aragon- who he'd been married to for nearly twenty years, died in disgrace and despair. What Suzannah Lipscomb does so well here, is she looks at one specific year- 1536- t ...more
Conor Byrne
Suzannah Lipscomb is to be congratulated for a fine study. I really enjoyed this stimulating, original and accessible interpretation of one pivotal year in the reign of Henry VIII - a year that Lipscomb argues changed Henry VIII forever. In particular, I found Lipscomb's interpretation of Anne Boleyn's downfall fascinating and compelling. She convincingly attests to the centrality of early modern customs and values surrounding masculinity and patriarchal honour, demonstrating how this came to ef ...more
Kara

I think in the hands of someone like Starkey or Weir this could have been great - here it is just OK. Really amazing content, research, analysis and theories, but the writing is so-so, not well structured and fails to really suck you in.

However - loved the psychological possibilities behind Henry's actions and OMG the discourse on how he was "compensating" with that painting!
Topping & Company Booksellers of Ely
Dr. Suzannah Lipscomb takes a look at the year 1536 which is, as she puts it, The Year
That Changed Henry VIII. Detailing the various events of the year and the impact that
they had on Henry, Lipscomb provides not only a fascinating historical insight into the
politics and intrigue of the Tudor period, but also a deep and personal biography of one
of our most famous kings. I picked this up with little prior knowledge of the Tudors,
and Lipscomb captivated me with her intelligent historical writi
Eileen Thornton
Henry VIII is one of the best-known Monarchs in British History. Numerous novels and films have told how two of his six wives were executed for treason, while a third died shortly after childbirth. However, Suzannah Lipscomb, has pieced together several incidents during 1536, which imply this year was a turning point in the King’s life.

Having read several novels about Henry VIII, I felt I knew everything I needed to know on the subject, but it seems I was wrong. Author Suzannah Lipscomb has foc
Carla
No new revelations in this book by Suzannah Lipscomb, but a very informative retelling of the events of 1536 that caused Henry VIII to change from a noble king to a vicious oppressor. The deaths of Anne Boleyn and Henry Fitzroy, in addition to his third marriage to Jane Seymour and his continued bouts of ill health, created a perfect storm in the king's life, transforming him into a bloodthirsty tyrant. Lipscomb provides the information in a style much like the one in which she speaks - fluidly ...more
Koenraad
1536 is the fantastic debut of dr. Suzannah Lipscomb. She totally changed my view of Henry VIII. Her book is just amazing and very addictive. I took it with me on my trip to France to read in my room in mornings or evenings. But after I started to read it the first morning I had to finish reading it. So I spent the first day of my hollyday reading 1536.

I was affraid I would have difficulties reading 1536 because English isn't my native language but I had no difficulties reading it. It was writte
Deborah
Suzannah offers a scholarly view of potential theories on the causes of the changes in Henry's personality. Allows the reader to draw her own conclusions.
Mallory
An in-depth look at the events of 1536 and how they changed Henry VIII.
Finuala
I've no doubt that Suzannah Lipscomb knows her subject matter, but I do feel this got lost in translation. The writing was just ok, the premise of the book was interesting but unproven and the temptation to edit the book into something that hanged together better was great. I was sufficiently engaged that I will read other books by the author, but I'm a little.. disappointed. A case of 'Can do better', but still worth reading.
Michele Kallio
An informative read....if you really want to understand just why 1536 was Henry VIII's 'annus horribilis' you must read Lipscomb highly readable book. Her clear and concise writing helps the reader to understand how that terrible year changed Henry from Prince Charming into the monster he became. An excellent read!
Kate Boardman
A very interesting book that flies in the face of popular belief. Suzannah sets out her argument in laymans terms. 1536 was definitely Henry VIIIs 'annus horriblus' (sp) Whether Suzannah has answered the reasons for Henrys alleged decline into tyranny is open to argument. I for one think she's onto something here.
Sylwia Zupanec
Informative and readable '1536' concentrates on the year that - according to author - changed Henry VIII into a tyrant. It's not a long book but it is a page-turner and explains the events of 1536 very well.

Becky
Her theories are interesting and well supported, but the writing style was not what I was expecting from someone who has a doctorate degree. It sounds like she really dumbed her writing down.
Abby
Fascinating, intelligent and original. I loved this book and urge anyone with an interest and/or thorough knowledge to read this book. It taught me a thing or two!
Jonelle
Very easy read for the general public, broad enough to not be overwhelming, yet well researched and detailed enough to get some learnin' on.
Susan
This was a short book but a meaty one. I particularly enjoyed the author's discussion of the events surrounding the execution of Anne Boleyn.
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Radio 3 listeners
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Donna Hinkley
Donna Hinkley marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Larry Tubens
Larry Tubens marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Kymberly Galvan
Kymberly Galvan marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII
  • The Boleyns: The Rise & Fall of a Tudor Family
  • House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty
  • Bessie Blount: Mistress to Henry VIII
  • Henry VIII: Man and Monarch
  • In Bed with the Tudors: the Sex Lives of a Dynasty from Elizabeth of York to Elizabeth I
  • The Lady Penelope: The Lost Tale of Love and Politics in the Court of Elizabeth I
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason. The Secret Wars against the Tudors
  • Henry: Virtuous Prince
  • The Men Who Would Be King: Suitors to Queen Elizabeth I
  • Divorced, Beheaded, Survived: A Feminist Reinterpretation of the Wives of Henry VIII
  • Tudor Women: Queens & Commoners
  • The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn: Family Politics at the Court of Henry VIII
  • The Divorce of Henry VIII: The Untold Story from Inside the Vatican
  • England Under the Tudors
  • Edward VI: The Lost King of England
Dr Suzannah Lipscomb is Senior Lecturer and Convenor for History at New College of the Humanities, London, and also holds a post as Lecturer in Early Modern History at the University of East Anglia. She has appeared on BBC’S The One Show, ITV’s GMTV, Channel 4’s Time Team, and BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, presented BBC Radio 3’s The Essay and co-presented Inside the World of Henry VIII on the Hi ...more
More about Suzannah Lipscomb...
A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England A Journey Through Tudor England: Hampton Court Palace and the Tower of London to Stratford-upon-Avon and Thornbury Castle The King is Dead Fun House: A John Ceepak Mystery (John Ceepak Mystery, #7) Henry VIII: 500 Facts