Start by marking “Toy Boat” as Want to Read:
Toy Boat

Toy Boat

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  302 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
A little boy has a toy boat. He made it out of a can, a cork, a yellow pencil, and some white cloth. The boy and his boat are inseparable, until one day when the wind pushes the toy boat out into the wide lake. Alone now, the little boat must face fierce waves, a grumpy ferry, a sassy schooner, and a growling speed boat. How the little boat misses the boy! But if he is goi ...more
Published September 20th 2007 by Philomel Books (first published June 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Toy Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toy Boat

Kathryn
Aug 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Miriam
The story of a devoted little boy and his toy boat which, no matter how well-loved, longs for more adventure than staying attached to the boy's string when they go to the lake. One day, though, a storm comes in and the boat and boy are separated. The toy boat finally has his big adventure but will it be everything he'd hoped for?

A cute enough picture book offering proposes that love and home are better than on-your-own adventures, I wasn't quite as impressed as I hoped to be given how much I enj
Emma
Apr 30, 2015 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: children-2015
I don't think every children's book needs to have a deep, life altering lesson so I tried to ignore the rather strange lesson in this one: staying close to home is better than big adventures.

Instead, I decided it was a cute little story, have thought about trying to build a similar toy boat with my son, and admired the beautiful illustrations.
Katie Foster
Feb 18, 2014 Katie Foster rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was about a boy who makes his own small toy boat. The boy and the toy boat do everything together, including pretending to sail on the lake, until one day the boy accidentally loses the toy boat in the lake. The toy boat is pushed around by other bigger boats, until it meets a nice fishing boat. At the end, the toy boat and the boy find each other again, but it's different because now the boy knows that the toy boat will come back. Teachers could use this book to talk about how the toy ...more
Sally Deem
Feb 23, 2014 Sally Deem rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of a little boy who makes a toy boat out of materials he finds at home. He always has his beloved toy boat by his side and every day takes it to the lake to sail it. One day the toy boat blows away and has his own adventure on the lake. The boat has longed to be with the other big boats on the lake, but finds out that it's a terrifying world and tries desperately to return to his owner. The tiny but strong boat fights to stay afloat and find his beloved boy once again. ...more
Emerson and Theodore
Jan 12, 2015 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
He loves it. The beautiful art work of Loren Long and a metaphorical story about letting your children take appropriate risks and not being afraid to lose them. Story about a boy who builds a boat and loses it out at sea when he lets the string out too long. He is very sad and the boat goes through rough seas. Then the boat comes back home with the waves and help from a tug. The boy does not keep his boat at home, he lets him out to sea again. Very nice story.
Rosa Cline
Dec 14, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, spring, summer
This is a story between a child and his beloved toy. He handmade a boat and he keeps it with him wherever and whatever he's doing. But as the toy boat floats on the river he wants to be more than he is and wonders what it would be like off the string of the boy. One day he gets that wish as a wave knocks the string away. But it's more than the little boat really anticipated. But in the end they find one another once again.
Molly Toomey
Jan 11, 2015 Molly Toomey rated it really liked it
With this being one of my nephews absolute favorite books growing up, I have read this one about a thousand times. It's a heart-warming story about a boy who builds a toy boat and takes it to the sea to swim. The string to which he attaches it breaks and the boat goes into the ocean, having an adventure of his own. He finds that he misses his home and the little boy, returning home, and showing the power of friendship.
Michele Knott
Jun 12, 2014 Michele Knott rated it really liked it
Sweet story, good lessons but beautiful illustrations.
Story of a little boy who made a toy boat. He loves it so much he bathes and sleeps with it. He takes it out to the lake and sails it while holding onto its string. We also hear from the boat that he wants to be out with the other boats. Of course the boat ends up venturing out but learns a lesson. The boy also learns a lesson about holding on to things.
Stephanie Croaning
Aug 16, 2013 Stephanie Croaning rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the story of a young boy and his homemade toy boat. The boy takes the boat everywhere with him, until one day he accidentally drops the string that tethers the boat to him. At first, the boat is excited about his new freedom and anticipates a wonderful adventure, but he learns that the world outside our comfort zone can also be unfriendly and scary. I like the message of the story -- learning to appreciate what is familiar and safe, while balancing that with the need to expand our horizo ...more
Jody Ellis
Jun 12, 2015 Jody Ellis rated it really liked it
A curious little book. The illustrations are rich and the personal touch with boats having eyes are wonderful. A sad story of many not helping the little boat and only one who understands his loneliness and being the little guy.

For the age group this targets, their not going to see that message adult readers do.

A lovely read, recommended!
Sarah Murray
Aug 30, 2011 Sarah Murray rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! The biggest thing that captured me was the unbelievable pictures and colors. The drawings of the boats and the crashing of the waves was done beautifully. Colors and pictures are one of the biggest things that draws children into paying attention to the story. I could see little boys especially loving this book because of the many different boats.

This story also had a very cute message. Even though the little toy boat got away from the boy, it was constantly searching for
Tara
May 22, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up solely because the illustrations are breathtaking. The story is sweet and well done. Some messages include: Adventure can be fun, keep positive people close, leave negative ones behind, and of course there's no place like home.
Oliver
Nov 07, 2015 Oliver rated it it was amazing
Emma
Feb 12, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Charming. I could see this being a hit with the kids who are big fans of Cars but also works for others just as nicely.
Kimberly
Apr 19, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It really captures childhood, it is so imaginative and the illustrations are beautiful.
Diane
Jan 31, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
Themes of friendship, independence and trust are handled in this simple story about a boy and his toy boat.
Lauren
Feb 18, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Awesome illustrations - great story about a toy that finds its way home after being lost at sea.
Gabriel
Nov 08, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
I like when you go back and read books from when you were little, too.
Lori
Apr 02, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing
N LOVED this book. One of the first books he read aloud to us. Very sweet.
Kimberly
Jul 09, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
So cute. I used it while teaching little kids about marine engineering.
Karen Gibson
Sweet picture of friendship--between a boy and his toy boat.
Danno
Apr 17, 2015 Danno rated it really liked it
A tear jerker story with a happy ending. The little toy boat survived challenges even adults would struggle with.
Claire
Jun 23, 2016 Claire rated it liked it
The illustrations were fantastic. But the story....I wasn't sure exactly what the point was?
Parker Catlett-Miller
I really like these illustrations!
Treasa
Jan 25, 2010 Treasa rated it really liked it
A little boy loves the toy boat that he built, but the boat dreams of sailing out onto the lake like the big boats. When he finally gets his wish, the toy boat discovers that this freedom is not as wonderful as the love of the little boy.

This story reminded me a lot of the Golden Book Scuffy the Tug Boat, which is not a bad thing since I am very fond of Scuffy. The story was a little different though, so it certainly had its own merits. And Loren Long's illustrations are so beautiful - they real
Tracy
Jan 01, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love Loren Long's illustrations. I could pour over over the pictures noticing the details and taking it all in. Mackenzie(3 1/2) loved that the boats had eyes and that the eyes seemed to capture each boat's personality. She noticed the angry eyes on the ferry boat and that the fishing boat had a smile. Randall DeSeve does a great job with nautical vocabulary in this one. I also enjoyed talking with M about the "humble" fishing boat. Lots to talk about. A definite reread.
Monica
Dec 20, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing
This is the wonderful world that was mine. Growing up in the middle of four boys definitely helped make for a magical imagination and adventure. My brothers and I built many contraptions and friends, similar to this Toy Boat. The little boy and the Toy Boat are both gently relatable characters. When I closed this book, I felt like I had just read an unexpected letter from a dear old friend bringing love and memories temporarily forgotten. I loved it!
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A little boy has a toy boat that he absolutely adores (even to the extent of sleeping with it). One day he has the boat out on the lake and the string gets pulled out of the little boy's hand and the boat is at last free to explore the lake with the other big boats. It turns into a scary adventure, but in the end the toy boat finds his boy.

Really engaging illustrations.
Alisa
Jul 29, 2011 Alisa rated it it was amazing
I don't often give 5 stars to books of any kind. This book has such a sweet story about a little boy and his toy boat he makes out of random "parts". It ends up sailing away at the beginning of the book, then sails back at the end. I loved the story a mommy, especially of a mother of little boys, but the illustrations are also gorgeous. This one is a keeper!
  • Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas