Toy Boat

Toy Boat

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  40 reviews
A little boy has a toy boat. He made it out of a can, a cork, a yellow pencil, and some white cloth. The boy and his boat are inseparable, until one day when the wind pushes the toy boat out into the wide lake. Alone now, the little boat must face fierce waves, a grumpy ferry, a sassy schooner, and a growling speed boat. How the little boat misses the boy! But if he is goi...more
Published September 20th 2007 by Philomel (first published June 30th 2007)

Kathryn
Aug 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Miriam
The story of a devoted little boy and his toy boat which, no matter how well-loved, longs for more adventure than staying attached to the boy's string when they go to the lake. One day, though, a storm comes in and the boat and boy are separated. The toy boat finally has his big adventure but will it be everything he'd hoped for?

A cute enough picture book offering proposes that love and home are better than on-your-own adventures, I wasn't quite as impressed as I hoped to be given how much I enj...more
Katie Foster
This book was about a boy who makes his own small toy boat. The boy and the toy boat do everything together, including pretending to sail on the lake, until one day the boy accidentally loses the toy boat in the lake. The toy boat is pushed around by other bigger boats, until it meets a nice fishing boat. At the end, the toy boat and the boy find each other again, but it's different because now the boy knows that the toy boat will come back. Teachers could use this book to talk about how the toy...more
Sally Deem
This book tells the story of a little boy who makes a toy boat out of materials he finds at home. He always has his beloved toy boat by his side and every day takes it to the lake to sail it. One day the toy boat blows away and has his own adventure on the lake. The boat has longed to be with the other big boats on the lake, but finds out that it's a terrifying world and tries desperately to return to his owner. The tiny but strong boat fights to stay afloat and find his beloved boy once again....more
Mrs. Knott
Sweet story, good lessons but beautiful illustrations.
Story of a little boy who made a toy boat. He loves it so much he bathes and sleeps with it. He takes it out to the lake and sails it while holding onto its string. We also hear from the boat that he wants to be out with the other boats. Of course the boat ends up venturing out but learns a lesson. The boy also learns a lesson about holding on to things.
Stephanie Croaning
This is the story of a young boy and his homemade toy boat. The boy takes the boat everywhere with him, until one day he accidentally drops the string that tethers the boat to him. At first, the boat is excited about his new freedom and anticipates a wonderful adventure, but he learns that the world outside our comfort zone can also be unfriendly and scary. I like the message of the story -- learning to appreciate what is familiar and safe, while balancing that with the need to expand our horizo...more
Sarah Murray
This book was amazing! The biggest thing that captured me was the unbelievable pictures and colors. The drawings of the boats and the crashing of the waves was done beautifully. Colors and pictures are one of the biggest things that draws children into paying attention to the story. I could see little boys especially loving this book because of the many different boats.

This story also had a very cute message. Even though the little toy boat got away from the boy, it was constantly searching for...more
Kimberly
So cute. I used it while teaching little kids about marine engineering.
Parker Catlett-Miller
I really like these illustrations!
Treasa
A little boy loves the toy boat that he built, but the boat dreams of sailing out onto the lake like the big boats. When he finally gets his wish, the toy boat discovers that this freedom is not as wonderful as the love of the little boy.

This story reminded me a lot of the Golden Book Scuffy the Tug Boat, which is not a bad thing since I am very fond of Scuffy. The story was a little different though, so it certainly had its own merits. And Loren Long's illustrations are so beautiful - they real...more
Tracy
I love Loren Long's illustrations. I could pour over over the pictures noticing the details and taking it all in. Mackenzie(3 1/2) loved that the boats had eyes and that the eyes seemed to capture each boat's personality. She noticed the angry eyes on the ferry boat and that the fishing boat had a smile. Randall DeSeve does a great job with nautical vocabulary in this one. I also enjoyed talking with M about the "humble" fishing boat. Lots to talk about. A definite reread.
Monica
This is the wonderful world that was mine. Growing up in the middle of four boys definitely helped make for a magical imagination and adventure. My brothers and I built many contraptions and friends, similar to this Toy Boat. The little boy and the Toy Boat are both gently relatable characters. When I closed this book, I felt like I had just read an unexpected letter from a dear old friend bringing love and memories temporarily forgotten. I loved it!
Alisa
I don't often give 5 stars to books of any kind. This book has such a sweet story about a little boy and his toy boat he makes out of random "parts". It ends up sailing away at the beginning of the book, then sails back at the end. I loved the story a mommy, especially of a mother of little boys, but the illustrations are also gorgeous. This one is a keeper!
Amy
Henry loves this one. He studies the makings of the boat (spool of thread, stick, can) on the endpapers before reading it each time.
My only issue is, why does the mom have to be the reason the boy drops the string and the boat is lost in the first place? Nice going, Mom. I change the text when I read it so the mom isn't such the bad guy. Geez.
Rebecca
Cute book. My 3 year old enjoyed it quite a bit. The boy never lets the boat's string go. The boat would like to be let go. Finally, a storm blows the boat out of the boy's hand. Eventually, they reunite and the boy doesn't hold the boat back so much, but the boat always comes back. Nice moral and the illustrations are good too.
Kristine
Nov 18, 2007 Kristine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of preschool boys
This book is amazing. At our latest visit-our local librarian recommended it to me for my son. The illustrations are stunning and the story of a toy boat's "journey home" hit with my son who has a closeness to certain toys of his own. We have read it at least 3 times a day for four days. GET IT FOR XMAS!!!
Anna
This book was a really sweet story about a boy who loses his boat and gets it back again. It only got a three from me because although the writing was wonderful the illustrations didn't seem to do the story justice. I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with them, they just didn't work for me....still a cute book.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I much preferred Kathy Henderson's The Little Boat, which covered a similar story. Here a young boy loses his homemade toy boat (I really would like to think that kids will still play with such things) on a big lake one afternoon.
Jeffrey Ellsworth
A little boy's boat made out of a soda can and pencil wants to sail free like the other big boats. One day the boy's boat, held by a string, is lost and learns to sail with the other boats. The boat sail back to the boy.
Mary Train
It looks like a summer story, but it's more than that...sort of reminds me of a picture book version of the story of Edward Tulane. If you love that story, this one should resonate as well.
Chelsea
A little toy boat that belongs to a boy wonders what it would be like to sail free. After drifting away to a big and scary adventure it knows where it wants to be. Really enjoyed the illustrations.
The Library Lady
Boat loving children are going to love this story of a little toy boat, who longs to have an adventure, ends up sailing on the high seas, and finally returns safely home to its boy!
Aimee
I'm a sap for sweet stories about little boys. On so many levels this book is brilliant--in it's perfect simplicity, wrapped around it's perfect profundity.
Alia
Cute and I loved the art. It has a narrative tone similar to The Velveteen Rabbit which can be sweet or annoying depending on how you look at it.
Julie
Good moral to the story. The illustrations are really good, especially the scenes of the stormy ocean. Not really exceptional, though.
Katie
We love this book. The illustrations are powerful, the repetitive words help our kids learn, and the story itself is adorable.
Angela
fictional account of a lost boat being found again by its owner. I like the fact that the boy actually made the boat by himself.
Fjóla
Sweet story, with really pretty acrylic illustrations, although not quite as remarkable as I was anticipating.
Jen
Exploring is fun at times, but there is no better place than being home with those you love.
Paula

A toy boat gets separated from its owner and has an adventure on the high seas.
Marcie
beautiful loren long paintings. could use in units on transportationor toys.
  • Otis
  • The Junkyard Wonders
  • Doctor Ted
  • Very Hairy Bear
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • Toy Dance Party (Toys #2)
  • The Flower Man
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles
  • Pierre the Penguin: A True Story
  • Every Friday
The Duchess of Whimsy Peanut and Fifi Have A Ball Mathilda and the Orange Balloon