Start by marking “The Sandman: The Dream Hunters” as Want to Read:
The Sandman: The Dream Hunters

The Sandman: The Dream Hunters

4.46  ·  Rating Details ·  8,555 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
THE SANDMAN: THE DREAM HUNTERS is a comics adaptation of Gaiman's original prose novella by the same name illustrated by Yoshitako Amano. This graphic novel was illustrated by the legendary P. Craig Russell. A humble young monk and a magical, shape-changing fox find themselves romantically drawn together. As their love blooms, the fox learns of a devilish plot by a group o ...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by Vertigo (first published November 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, please sign up.

Sarah If you're familiar with the main series, you'll have the benefit of recognizing a few (very) minor characters, but this really can be read as a…moreIf you're familiar with the main series, you'll have the benefit of recognizing a few (very) minor characters, but this really can be read as a standalone.(less)

David Schaafsma
I read all the volumes of The Sandman and loved it but this is a spinoff work, published in 2009, a fable of a monk and a fox set in “old Japan,” that has the feel of something Gaiman adapted from a centuries old myth, but in fact was invented whole cloth all by his lonesome. And Japan is a good place for a story of this mythological complexity, because it is a country and culture steeped in mythologies and monsters, in a belief in yokai.

The Dream Hunters focuses on a monk and two spirit creatu
Brad
Apr 29, 2016 Brad rated it really liked it
A quite enjoyable tale with a classic moral transcending the Oriental flavor, with cameos from a few of our favorite Sandman characters, including Dream, himself.

The art is, I believe, much better than most of the previous Sandman series, with clean lines and beautiful images, but that's also a taste of the thematic style, so obviously it was intentional on every level and not just an improvement on the series which is ostensibly ended... (but not quite, obviously.) :)

It was fun and light, with
Lauren
Jan 09, 2017 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. I think my heart has just stopped!

Sandman: The Dream Hunters is a superb addition to the Sandman canon and once again, shows us the literary storytelling genius of Neil Gaiman. P. Craig Russell also deserves whole-hearted praise for his depiction of a Gaiman classic tale focusing on the love between a fox (who adopts the form of a beautiful woman) and a monk. The story is heart-breaking at times and focuses on the real meanings behind love, devotion, faith and life.

Honestly, this
Caitlin
Jan 31, 2015 Caitlin rated it really liked it
As a huge Sandman fan, I’m pretty easy to please, but this was wonderful.

Sandman: The Dream Hunters is an adaptation of a short story that Neil Gaiman wrote that combined both Dream from Sandman and Asian fairytale elements.

Dream Hunters is the story of a monk and a fox who go to great lengths for each other. The monk is minding his own business at his temple when both a fox and a badger try to convince him to move along and free up the nice spot. The ways in which they tried to persuade the mo
Rosa
Feb 11, 2010 Rosa rated it it was amazing
Even though the story is based on a tale from Gaiman's head, it completely reads like a Japanese fairy tale. The story is a beautiful unrequited romance and the illustrations are gorgeous. I also like how the ending is left a little bit open, so that the reader can hope they ended up together.
Jayme
Feb 23, 2010 Jayme rated it really liked it
I read this to compare with the original illustrated narrative version of Dream Hunters. It was good, but not as good as the first. It really started to work for me in the second half of the book the though. At the point where you see the monk's dream, Russel cut out all the narrative for this part and did the entire dream with only the pictures to speak. It was really well done.

The afterword was very enlightening. Neil Gaiman admits that he never meant anyone to take the afterword of the origin
Evan Leach
Jun 17, 2016 Evan Leach rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics, 2000-2009, dc
This is an adaptation of Neil Gaiman's 1999 illustrated novella, The Sandman: The Dream Hunters. The novella, an invented Japanese folktale with some Sandman elements thrown in, is excellent. P. Craig Russell turned the story into a four issue comic miniseries, which is collected in this volume.

The story - which appears to be pretty much copy/pasted from the novella - remains strong. And Russell's artwork is well done and does a good job of complementing the story. However, I'm not really sure
Ignacio Senao f
Feb 23, 2015 Ignacio Senao f rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soñar despierto es posible con la saga Sandman. Vuelve a demostrarlo Gaiman.

Odio sus novelas, amo sus comics. Dicen que Moore es el mejor autor para comic, y este es el chiste que más funciona conmigo. Neil es un genio que han puesto en nuestro planeta con la obligación de acercarnos a lo que no podemos concebir con nuestra mente.

Un viaje como siempre onírico, mezclado con el cuento clásico. En el que el amor, terror y fantasía es tratado en su máxime. Finalizando todo esto con una moraleja que
Stacey
I have both versions of this illustrated story. The text is largely similar (partially adapted for Russell's version) in both fairy stories, but with different illustrators. Both versions are equally beautiful in their own way, and the story itself is lovely and ethereal.
Ivona
Oct 04, 2015 Ivona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prostě úžasné. :)
Suleyman Gedik
Jan 12, 2017 Suleyman Gedik rated it it was amazing
One of the best Sandman stories I have read. A must read for Sandman fans and fantasy and mythology lovers.
Javier Maldonado
Nov 08, 2015 Javier Maldonado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Ahora quiero leer el libro original con las ilustraciones de Yoshitaka Amano!
Carol Rodríguez
Pufff... menos mal que me quedaban más cosas de Sandman por leer más allá de la saga principal. Me cuesta, me cuesta la idea de desprenderme de este cómic, de dejar de tener material nuevo sobre el Señor del Sueño. Así que ayer leí este tomo suelto, Los cazadores de sueños, que a su vez está basado en una novela del propio Neil Gaiman ilustrada por Yoshitaka Amano (sí, sí, el de los Final Fantasy), que tiene toda la pinta de ser un trabajo delicioso (ya caerá en mis garras, ya).

Pero esta adapta
Garrett Zecker
Dec 20, 2015 Garrett Zecker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Garrett by: Nate
I was actually a little bit reluctant to read this second to last volume of Sandman – it seemed to me that it was somewhat out of place in the oeuvre, and only had somewhat of a loose tie to the original story arc as Gaiman and his artists are occasionally wont to do in the series. The fact that it was so outside of the time-frame of original publication, along with the strange suggestion of the orient on the cover (why?) sort of turned me off.

I was very wrong – the story is a gorgeous folktale
Richard Tokebroker
Feb 12, 2014 Richard Tokebroker rated it it was amazing
Sandman is probably my favorite comic book series, and since I hadn't read this little collection before, I immediatly jumped on it when I saw it at our local library. Upon reading it to completion, I decided it was probably one of my favorites from within the series as well. Gaiman just has a way with words and myths, even if he is totally making it up as he goes along. Which is exactly what he did with The Dream Hunters.

If you ever eat your way through Sandman, look this one up. You won't be d
Jostalady
Apr 03, 2010 Jostalady rated it liked it
This is a little different than I am used to from Gaiman, but the commentary really brought it home for me how brilliant this piece is. The art and Asian mythical style are so convincing that people still write Gaiman asking for the original source. Now that I know what he set out to achieve, and how he went about it, I can see what makes this such a special addition to any thorough Gaiman collection.
Cassandra
May 08, 2016 Cassandra rated it really liked it
Neil Gaiman expertly weaves characters from the Sandman series into a story that very closely resembles a traditional Japanese folklore tale. As usual, Craig Russell's art is beautiful. The thing that stops me from giving this a solid five stars is that the story isn't always believable. The interaction between the monk and the fox feels real and beautiful, but the wealthy Japanese lord's motivations felt contrived.
Harry Doble
The story of a Buddhist monk and the fox spirit who loved him. No, it's not furry erotica, and was originally claimed to be based on a Japanese folk tale that Gaiman later admitted he made up. Later he found there were some similarities to a collection of classical Chinese stories by Pu Songling he hadn't read yet. It is quite elegant and beautiful in its simplicity.
Devyn Kennedy
Jan 16, 2014 Devyn Kennedy rated it it was amazing
The story here was magical, beautiful, and heartbreaking. You are pulled into to this world and feel as though, by some stroke of kindness, these lovers will survive and yet you are left without. That is not to say, however, that you are left wanting. The art of the graphic novel is raw and expressive. All together, it is beautiful. Everyone should give this story a read.
Jean
Feb 09, 2010 Jean rated it really liked it
I had not read the Sandman stories so I cannot compare this adaptation--for me it stands alone.
Though I found the story sparse at times, I enjoyed it. The back matter is unusually dense, discusses the story behind the story.
Yehudit
3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this little, japanese-influenced fairy-tale by Neil Gaiman. For all that it was entirely made up by him, it felt really authentic to me (with my little experience in Japanese fairy-tales....), which I appreciated. Overall, a very nice addition to the series.
Mar 07, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Although the words are the same, Russell's comix treatment conveys a different feeling than Amano's original "illustrated novel."

I really enjoyed both---it is fascinating to compare the interpretations. Gorgeous works.
Hannah Givens
Oct 31, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
Tragic and lovely, on par with some of my favorite short stories in the original Sandman graphic novels.
La Revistería Comics
Pantalón no talisto.
Saco sí es talisto.
Pantalón puede lleval
Saco tiene que espelal.

Y otros clásicos del lejano oriente adaptados por P. Craig Russell.
babybabayaga
Neil Gaiman never ever lets me down. I was pleased as punch to discover that the shrink wrapped copy I picked up was the graphic novel and not the original illustrated story. Utterly beautiful.
Matthew Jackson
Jun 05, 2010 Matthew Jackson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A short sweet, perfectly lovely little mythic story with gorgeous Russell art. It's also a wonderful introduction to what the Sandman is for those who have not yet delved into the series proper.
Cinnamon Spark
It was an amazingly beautiful story. ♥
Erin Britton
May 20, 2017 Erin Britton rated it it was amazing
Along with Alan Moore’s Watchman and Frank Miller’s Sin City, Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman is one of the most popular, as well as the most critically acclaimed, comic book series of all time. With a distinct lack of burly men in tights and voluptuous women in neon spandex jumpsuits, The Sandman was in the vanguard of titles published in the late 1980s and early 1990s that sought to break away from the traditional conception of comics through darker, more relevant storylines and so to appeal to a wi ...more
Tomáš
Mar 06, 2017 Tomáš rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Krása, Sandman jak má být. Z krásných ilustrací mě svrbí prsty dát plný počet hvězd, ale musím uznat, že vše už tu bylo a ani příběh není žádné překvapení. Rád si ale přečtu jakékoliv další pokračování, jako obvykle ;)
  • The Sandman: King of Dreams
  • Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 1: Bindings
  • The Dreaming: Beyond the Shores of Night
  • Madame Xanadu, Volume 1: Disenchanted

“Nothing is done entirely for nothing. Nothing is wasted. You are older, and you have made decisions, and you are not the fox you were yesterday. Take what you have learned, and move on.” 32 likes
“Even in dreams and in death, a monk and a fox are from different worlds, as they were in life, and in different worlds they will forever stay” 6 likes