Start by marking “The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk” as Want to Read:
The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk

The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk (Planet Hulk Omnibus)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  6,887 ratings  ·  195 reviews
Savage alien planet. Oppressed barbarian tribes. Corrupt emperor. Deadly woman warrior. Gladiators and slaves. Battle axes and hand blasters. Monsters and heroes... and the Incredible Hulk! Let the smashing commence! This deluxe hardcover collects the entire Planet Hulk saga, plus extras! Collects Incredible Hulk #92-105, Giant Size Hulk #1 and the "Mastermind Excello" sto ...more
Published June 27th 2007 by Marvel (first published June 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Incredible Hulk, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
163rd out of 1,891 books — 4,319 voters
The Incredible Hulk by Greg PakIndestructible Hulk, Vol. 1 by Mark WaidThe Incredible Hulk Visionaries by Peter DavidThe Incredible Hulk by Peter DavidThe Incredible Hulk vs. Superman by Roger Stern
Best of the Hulk
1st out of 41 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Trekscribbler
Every so often, there comes a tale -- with equal parts passion and pathos, with equal parts pride and prejudice -- that not only redefines what a character has meant throughout the already visited pages upon pages of illustrated storylines but also re-establishes the hero as a dominant force for storytellers, readers, the company's universe, and (arguably) the entire comic book industry. PLANET HULK is such a masterpiece.

It's difficult to talk about the adventure without giving too many element
Dan
Don't get me wrong with just three stars, I really did enjoy this, but my goodness the story was thin.

The problem with the Hulk is that there isn't much that can be done with him, he's a supporting character at best. And yet I was still hoping that this story arc would give us something fun to run with by letting the Hulk run wild - and he did, just not in any really interesting way.

The whole story was severely self-indulgent and there was never any sense of stakes or peril. This is the troubl
Anne
Let me start by saying, I'm not a huge fan of the Hulk. I also didn't care for the whole gladiator/fighting on a strange planet thing. It took me forever to work up any sympathy for Hulk, and even longer for me to get into the story enough to sit down and read it for more than a few minutes at a time. Anything that can't hold my attention gets unceremoniously moved to a certain section of my house, and is then forever dubbed one of my 'bathroom books'. You all know what I mean...don't pretend yo ...more
Marc Jentzsch
Fantastic. Sword and sorcery with the Hulk!

There are a few problems that will cause some dissonance for those unfamiliar with the full breadth of the ins and outs of the way the Hulk works. Admittedly I was in this camp, but just rolled with it. The idea of the Hulk being less than a giant irradiated ball of rage grows on you a little. Though I still don't quite understand how the Hulk himself could be so...un-angry so much. Yeah. Need to go read up on that.

The setup was well-done, and if you ha
Paul
How do you take a character like the Hulk, that's been done to death and put a new twist on the character?

You hand him over to Greg Pak and tell him to go wild.

And wild he goes, he takes the Hulk from the "familiar" surroundings of planet Earth, and puts him in a brand new environment, Plant Sakaar. A barbaric planet where the Hulk fits right in despite himself.

No Wonder Marvel let their Conan license expire, who needs a Conan Barabarian when you can have the Hulk be just as, if not even moreso,
Mabel
I've never cared much for the Hulk, at least as a central character. I like him existing as an outlier amongst the superhero teams of Earth, and as the occasional Hail Mary SMASH! I recently read World War Hulk, which is the direct sequel to this huge omnibus, and I wasn't impressed. I'd seen the animated feature length film based on Planet Hulk, and I knew this story has become a favorite, and was probably influential to the Marvel universe. Now I get why.

It's the pacing and the superficial but
Pat McGlynn
This arc is a non-stop kickassathon. In a nut shell, this is What If: Hulk was the star of Gladiator. It does not disappoint. This book is exactly what you think you are paying for, the Hulk smashing an entire planet until he makes his way to the top.

This is hands down the best modern Hulk comics get. I'm sorry Loeb got his miserable hands on the Hulk, because between this and World War Hulk, Hulk has reached great heights in terms of story telling, action and power.
Noah Soudrette
Wow. This is easily the best Hulk story I've ever read (keep in mind I never read Peter David's run thought). There's tons of action and some great characters and character development. Just perfect.
Nicci B
I learned not to piss Hulk off.
Matthew
Burroughs-esque space opera meets sandal epic packed with action and populated by a cast of fleshed out and interesting characters.

It starts out with Hulk transplanted into a gladiator setting, I wasn't too confident in it at this point, as I've seen many popular characters go down this road, the trope was even spoofed by The Venture Bros. Luckily, the action breaks out of the arena early on and we are taken on quite a tour. The characters are all complex and unique, many of them sympathetic. T
Yazeed
I was reading the new avenger omnibus (which was good btw ) and then I reach this one-shot "illuminati" that was supposed to set up the civil war event. anyway it also had another thing which just ..blew my mind. So, reed Richard from the F4, xavier from the xmen, iron-man etc etc. a secret group set to fix the world problems (I knew it sound silly but it was so awesome the way the writer handled it.) and yes hulk was one of those problem .. what did they do? they tricked him out of the planet i ...more
Steven Laverty
A potential masterpiece plagued by poor pacing. I found this story to be entertaining and frustrating in almost equal measure. The premise of the story is unusual, intriguing and makes for a fantastic set up. A lot happens over the course of the book and has some truly wonderful and memorable surprises. However, unfortunately the pacing of the story is atrocious at times. Very often a new idea or development occurs only to have the narrative jump away from it a couple of frames later. This means ...more
Because_I'm_Batman
Okay two words: HULK SMASH. Constantly. Hulk literally starts out ripping himself free of a spaceship after are ever lovely heroes kicking him off the planet planning to send him to a "deserted" planet where he can live in "Peace." Yeah well Hulk doesn't really get that, but thats okay, because instead he tears his way through a alien planet at war, fighting monster as a gladiator! How cool as that? Pretty much as cool as it sounds. And though it had a great deal of smashing it had a perfect amo ...more
Michael (Tattoogirl Reads)
What I knew about Hulk before I read Planet Hulk: He's a human who turns into a green monster. His name is Banner. (Thank you,Avengers movie). I knew that I didn't really want to read anything about the Hulk. The End.

What I know now: that I was totally wrong about the Hulk. Oh my God, this was such an epic read! I'm sorry to everyone I turned up my nose at when they recommended this to me. You were right. I was wrong.

This was an amazing roller coaster; I even got all sniffly at the end. I was ha
Mark Plaid
If you're like me and you haven't heard much about the Incredible Hulk since The Green Goliath that Bruce Banner turned into was a muscle bound mentally challenged beast with the vocabulary of a three year old child (or worse you think he turns into a growling, wordless Lou Ferrigno), then be prepared to throw away some of those expectations. I heard at some point a few years ago Banner could turn into the Hulk and retain his identity. Well, this is no longer the case either. Hulk is a distinct ...more
David Monroe
This book compiles Incredible Hulk #92-105, Giant Size Hulk #1 and the "Mastermind Excello" story from Amazing Fantasy #15. The Planet Hulk series was one of the best Hulk stories of all time.

After trashing Vegas, S.H.I.E.L.D., Tony Stark and Reed Richards decide it's time for this to stop. A ship is created and The Hulk was captured and blasted off to an uninhabited planet to live out the rest of his days. But in true comic book style, something goes awry.

Hulk gets sucked into a wormhole and
Mike
This trade collects Incredible Hulk #92-95, Banner War from Giant Size Hulk #1, Incredible Hulk #96-105, Mastermind Excello and Planet Cho from Amazing Fantasy #15 and Planet Hulk:Gladiator Guidebook, in that order.

Banner had agreed to go into space for Shield to destroy a satellite and save the world. His reward is exile due to a betrayal by the Illuminati, who believe Hulk simply too dangerous to keep on Earth and rig his spacecraft to take him to an uninhabited planet to be left alone... fo
Praxedes
Excellent graphic novel lacing superb artwork with a great story! It echoes many of the themes in other Hulk stories (i.e. the Banner/Hulk struggle for control, Hulk's alienation from and mistrust of humans, etc.) without sounding stale. As usual, the Green Monster enjoys painfully few moments of bliss before it's time to 'smash' once again. I thought the ending was a bit too sudden, but I suppose that's just a setup for the next installment, World War Hulk. Highly enjoyable.
Dexter
Wow. Wow. Wow. This storyline makes hulk even more bad ass than he already is. This is an excellent preview to the World War Hulk story line.

What's more bad ass than a huge invulnerable, angry, strongest mortal alive, beast? How about one that turns into a military general, frees the slaves, and inspires the world to fight for freedom? I'm not talking about Abe Lincoln... this story is 100% Hulk.

Bad ass. In the 70's or early 80's they wrote stories about the Hulk being in space and fighting al
Emma
Easily the best Hulk comic I've read, and potentially the best Hulk comic full stop. But it does fall apart at the end, where plot twists are pulled out of nowhere and there's some really cringe-worthy plot twists, such as (view spoiler).

I'm also not a big fan of the Hulk's personality in this. I like the increased intell
Isaiah Kisala
Probably the Hulk book I'd suggest anyone who has an interest in the character not being a same old hero, nor the dumb bruiser he's commonly portrayed as. Here he takes on a Very Robert E. Howard Barbarian role of an outsider in a corrupt kingdom who brings it down around the ruling class. However, this is also a look at hulk in an environment where he is not only welcomed, but among creatures who are just as monstrous if not more so then him. You watch as Hulk develops a brand new personality, ...more
Ralph
An excellent Hulk story. Hulk is sent into space by heroes of the Marvel universe as he is a danger to the Earth, and due to a malfunction he ends up on the planet Sakarr. Hulk becomes gladiator and savior or is he the one destined to destroy the world? Leads right into World War Hulk. Highly recommended.
Michael
Sure, the gladiator meets Alien themed narrative isn't the most original, but this is very entertaining. Hulku the Worldbreaker lives up to his title. Certainly, even if the narrative isn't groundbreaking, this is a Hulk story to come back to.
Michael
excellent story arc done by marvel. i had stopped reading comics but this was the one that has brought me back into the fold. get ready to see the hulk as he should have been brought to you long ago. i loved it.
JD Korejko
Oh, well now. THAT was fun!
I had no interest in this as it was coming out in issue form, but I'm so glad I picked up this tpb. Finally, a little bit of something different for a one note character.
Fatima
my dad actually got me into this, and at first i was not interested
but it actually has a good story plot,also read others related tothe story plot, it's a good book:)
Nathan
A lot of similarities to John Carter of Mars, but a pretty decent story. I had read World War Hulk when it came out, so it's good to see the background in this story.
Rodolfo
Pak & co managed to rescue the Hulk from the tired Jekyll-and-Hyde type of stories. It's the Hulk as a more fully realized character, with few references to Banner (one notable exception: the second Giant Sized story). This is Hulk, not as a rampaging monster and force of nature, but Hulk as a person who must contend with tragedy and loss on multiple levels. The radical departure from the previous Hulk material begs the question: is this a Hulk story at all? Pak hints that he's recovering a ...more
Joey Cruz
Here we have an anomaly in modern superhero comics -- and perhaps the last great idea to close out the early-2000s renaissance at Marvel comics.

Take the incredible Hulk, rocket him into outer space on a collision course with the combined plots of Dune, Gladiator, and John Carter of Mars, and what you get is a surprisingly moving story that has a lot more going for it than just the novelty of its premise. You wouldn't think a Fugitive/Mr Hyde/Werewolf character like the Hulk would translate well
  • Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
  • X-Force, Vol. 1: Angels And Demons
  • Nova, Vol. 1: Annihilation: Conquest

Planet Hulk (7 books)
  • The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk Part 1 (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection #23)
  • The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk Part 2
  • The Incredible Hulk: Prelude To Planet Hulk
  • Red Hulk: Planet Red Hulk
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 5: Planet Without a Hulk
  • Hulk: Planet Skaar
World War Hulk X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong X-Men: Magneto Testament Batman/Superman, Vol. 1: Cross World House of M: Fantastic Four / Iron Man