Start by marking “Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!” as Want to Read:
Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!

Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!

In this accessible presentation of the famous Bates method, Thomas R. Quackenbush (who teaches the Bates method in California and Oregon) describes how eyesight can improve naturally, at any age and regardless of heredity. This book is a wonderful tribute to the genius of Dr. Bates, who was a pioneer in discovering how vision becomes blurred and how it restores itself natu ...more
Published January 24th 2000 by North Atlantic Books (first published April 25th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Relearning to See, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relearning to See

Jess Scott
Jul 05, 2010 Jess Scott rated it it was amazing
=====[ORIGINAL REVIEW written on December 12, 2008:]=====

In one of the reviews in the first two pages of the book, someone comments that the book could really be titled "Relearning to Live". I heartily agree. A lot of the 5-star reviews say it as it is.

Compared to the hundreds of dollars I've spent on eyeglasses, eighteen dollars to read about improving eyesight (to the point where eyeglasses aren't needed--truly!), seems to be a bit of a paradox. I was a bit skeptical at first, but the will to
Steve Goodwin
Nov 08, 2013 Steve Goodwin rated it it was amazing
One of those types of books which should be required reading for general health.

We learn how to exercise our bodies through P.E. classes but not much is ever mentioned about our eyes. How to keep them healthy, and keep their full range of focus ability.

Like many muscles, if we don't use them, we lose them. Staring at computer screens, or blank walls in offices all day, doesn't stretch our eyes to look into long distances.

A good read, with practical advice which may help many people. Like most th
Mary  Iva Oliver
Dec 14, 2011 Mary Iva Oliver rated it it was amazing
Read the book to learn how to easily apply shifting and other methods to improve the eyesight. Use Amazon.com's `Look Inside Tool'; search for Shifting, Sketching, Brushing and Centralization taught by this Expert Author, Teacher.

I attended the Author Thomas Quackenbush's Natural Vision Improvement class in 1999 in San Francisco, CA after reading, studying his book 'Relearning To See-Improve Your Eyesight Naturally' in 1997. Later I read his 2nd book 'Better Eyesight, The Complete Magazines of W
Brad Belschner
Oct 30, 2011 Brad Belschner rated it liked it
Shelves: health
This book helped my improve my prescription from -10.5 to -6.5 Diopters. That's a huge difference, and I'm deeply indebted to Thomas Quackenbush (probably the all-time worst name to have if you work in alternative medicine!). I wanted to get all the way to 20/20 vision, but in the end I concluded this was not possible. The theory underlying this book is flawed.

The Bates Theory teaches that eyeballs are malleable, and that the muscles *surrounding* the eyeballs control focus. But eyeballs aren't
J
Jan 19, 2013 J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
I have had a unclear eysight especially for long distance view.

I take a little walk every morning and there I check my eyesight. There is a high voltage pole 1 km away and I thought the pole was made of 2 poles (with a horisontal bar above). Today I know and can clearly see that the double pole is for sure only one single pole. I see it clearly now, and even also the thin wires holding it in place.

Now I see the text on the televison clearly. Had great problems with that before this book.

There
Richard
Jun 15, 2017 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: biology, health
The Bates method involves

* Movement: eyes should always be in motion, never fixed on anything
* Centralization: keep looking at only one thing at a time
* Relaxation: don’t strain

The book includes suggestions for better shifting (sketch lines with your eyes), breathing (he likes yawning), blinking (do it more).

There is a section on nutrition (standard advice for real, low-processed foods. He also suggests no dairy or wheat).

http://www.seeing.org/ seems to be the main online site.

Wikipedia is high
Charles
Mar 23, 2015 Charles rated it it was ok
I tried. I tried this for years. I did the exercises, I walked around with my glasses so much that I became able to function fairly well amidst a huge blur. I was on a forum for fans of this book and they would all go on about how much it helped their vision. And then one day I said I was frustrated (my vision was really wretched) that my vision was, according to my eye chart, exactly the same, and people wrote and said basically, well, this really helped me feel better about not wearing glasses ...more
Morgan
Dec 22, 2009 Morgan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to understand their eyes and improve their vision
Shelves: reference
Tom Quackenbush's textbook is a fascinating melange of basic biology with total devotion to Dr. William Bates and his methods. Quackenbush spends dozens and dozens of pages quoting entire passages from Bates' books and periodicals. I take issue with Quackenbush's fanboy fervor towards Bates' teachings-as-doctrine (and unlike the skeptics on Wikipedia, he does sweep some of Bates' mistakes under the rug), but this book is full of beautiful science and clear diagrams of how many of the exercises c ...more
Livia Blackburne
Jul 05, 2010 Livia Blackburne rated it liked it
It's a rather unfortunate last name for an alternative medicine author. I didn't read most of it -- just the relevant chapters. After reading this, I did request reduced prescriptions from my optomitrist, and twice in a row now, I've returned to the optomitrist to find that I see 20/20 with the reduced prescription. I'd say my eyes have improved maybe from -5.75 to -5.00? I don't quite remember. Not sure how far I can take this, but hey, any improvement is nice.
Marcia
Oct 01, 2014 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Reading Better Eyesight Without Glasses by Dr William Bates, left me very confused, but this book made the concept much clearer and provided the exercises to return one to normal habits. Why is this not taught in all schools?
Dustin Palmer
Mar 07, 2010 Dustin Palmer rated it it was amazing
Thick book that takes some perserverance to get through, but the insights (no pun intended) are amazing--but only if actually applied. I'm applying the book in conjunction with many practical changes in how I see. I strongly suggest taking notes and practicing the new ways to see.
Jer
Oct 18, 2010 Jer marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-it, on-lend
Lent to Suzanne
Happyreader
Mar 21, 2008 Happyreader marked it as to-read
Shelves: health-and-diet
I'm all for aging gracefully but I'm fighting the reading glasses.
Peter
Jul 25, 2009 Peter rated it it was ok
It had some interesting ideas, but overall no clinical (or other) research or trials were offered as proof.
KristaMaureen
Mar 04, 2014 KristaMaureen rated it it was amazing
Time will tell if it'll work or not.. :)
Aurel Mihai
Jan 09, 2016 Aurel Mihai rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, medicine
Part quackery, part medicine, part advertisement, excessively long.
Wulfie
Wulfie rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Giedrius
Giedrius rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
Blyvan
Blyvan rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Jan Kunz
Jan Kunz rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Marwa Cherkaoui
Marwa Cherkaoui rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Ermias
Ermias rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2014
Asma
Asma rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Yuriy
Yuriy rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Stefan Jernberg
Stefan Jernberg rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2016
Nea
Nea rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Divya
Divya rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Improve Your Vision Without Glasses or Contact Lenses
  • The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies--and More
  • The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • Healing from Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life
  • The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
  • Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet
  • Take Off Your Glasses and See: A Mind/Body Approach to Expanding Your Eyesight and Insight
  • The Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses
  • Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health
  • Age-Proof Your Brain: Sharpen Your Memory in 7 Days
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion: Revolutionary Program That Lets You Rediscover the Body's Power to Rejuvenate It
  • The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World