Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!

Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In this accessible presentation of the famous Bates method, Thomas R. Quackenbush (who teaches the Bates method in California and Oregon) describes how eyesight can improve naturally, at any age and regardless of heredity. This book is a wonderful tribute to the genius of Dr. Bates, who was a pioneer in discovering how vision becomes blurred and how it restores itself natu...more
Published January 24th 2000 by North Atlantic Books (first published April 25th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Relearning to See, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relearning to See

Jess Scott
=====[ORIGINAL REVIEW written on December 12, 2008:]=====

In one of the reviews in the first two pages of the book, someone comments that the book could really be titled "Relearning to Live". I heartily agree. A lot of the 5-star reviews say it as it is.

Compared to the hundreds of dollars I've spent on eyeglasses, eighteen dollars to read about improving eyesight (to the point where eyeglasses aren't needed--truly!), seems to be a bit of a paradox. I was a bit skeptical at first, but the will to...more
Steve Goodwin
One of those types of books which should be required reading for general health.

We learn how to exercise our bodies through P.E. classes but not much is ever mentioned about our eyes. How to keep them healthy, and keep their full range of focus ability.

Like many muscles, if we don't use them, we lose them. Staring at computer screens, or blank walls in offices all day, doesn't stretch our eyes to look into long distances.

A good read, with practical advice which may help many people. Like most th...more
Brad Belschner
This book helped my improve my prescription from -10.5 to -6.5 Diopters. That's a huge difference, and I'm deeply indebted to Thomas Quackenbush (probably the all-time worst name to have if you work in alternative medicine!). I wanted to get all the way to 20/20 vision, but in the end I concluded this was not possible. The theory underlying this book is flawed.

The Bates Theory teaches that eyeballs are malleable, and that the muscles *surrounding* the eyeballs control focus. But eyeballs aren't...more
Mary  Iva Oliver
Read the book to learn how to easily apply shifting and other methods to improve the eyesight. Use Amazon.com's `Look Inside Tool'; search for Shifting, Sketching, Brushing and Centralization taught by this Expert Author, Teacher.

I attended the Author Thomas Quackenbush's Natural Vision Improvement class in 1999 in San Francisco, CA after reading, studying his book 'Relearning To See-Improve Your Eyesight Naturally' in 1997. Later I read his 2nd book 'Better Eyesight, The Complete Magazines of W...more
Janus
I have had a unclear eysight especially for long distance view.

I take a little walk every morning and there I check my eyesight. There is a high voltage pole 1 km away and I thought the pole was made of 2 poles (with a horisontal bar above). Today I know and can clearly see that the double pole is for sure only one single pole. I see it clearly now, and even also the thin wires holding it in place.

Now I see the text on the televison clearly. Had great problems with that before this book.

There...more
Morgan
Jun 29, 2010 Morgan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to understand their eyes and improve their vision
Shelves: reference
Tom Quackenbush's textbook is a fascinating melange of basic biology with total devotion to Dr. William Bates and his methods. Quackenbush spends dozens and dozens of pages quoting entire passages from Bates' books and periodicals. I take issue with Quackenbush's fanboy fervor towards Bates' teachings-as-doctrine (and unlike the skeptics on Wikipedia, he does sweep some of Bates' mistakes under the rug), but this book is full of beautiful science and clear diagrams of how many of the exercises c...more
Livia Blackburne
It's a rather unfortunate last name for an alternative medicine author. I didn't read most of it -- just the relevant chapters. After reading this, I did request reduced prescriptions from my optomitrist, and twice in a row now, I've returned to the optomitrist to find that I see 20/20 with the reduced prescription. I'd say my eyes have improved maybe from -5.75 to -5.00? I don't quite remember. Not sure how far I can take this, but hey, any improvement is nice.
Dorai
A pretty nice book, even if you don't believe the Bates method and don't care to improve your natural eyesight. It does a decent job explaining eye physiology and what goes into an eyeglass prescription, but without being overwhelming about it (most other Bates books don't go there at all and tend to be too elementary). It's a great resource to have if you'd like to order inexpensive glasses online with modified prescriptions.
Dustin Palmer
Thick book that takes some perserverance to get through, but the insights (no pun intended) are amazing--but only if actually applied. I'm applying the book in conjunction with many practical changes in how I see. I strongly suggest taking notes and practicing the new ways to see.
Peter
It had some interesting ideas, but overall no clinical (or other) research or trials were offered as proof.
Happyreader
Mar 21, 2008 Happyreader marked it as to-read
Shelves: health-and-diet
I'm all for aging gracefully but I'm fighting the reading glasses.
KristaMaureen
Time will tell if it'll work or not.. :)
Jeremy
Nov 27, 2011 Jeremy is currently reading it
Shelves: own-it, on-lend
Lent to Suzanne
Hossein Poorkhadem
Hossein Poorkhadem marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nouran Ibrahim
Nouran Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Castleofblue
Castleofblue is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Pasta
Pasta marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Amanda Hall
Amanda Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Robert Jorge
Robert Jorge marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Walker
Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Better Eyesight: The Complete Magazines of William H. Bates Restoring Your Eyesight: A Taoist Approach