Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

Shadow in Hawthorn Bay

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Shadow in Hawthorn Bay introduces fifteen-year-old Mary Urquhart, a Scottish girl with a special gift – the gift of “second sight”. One morning, in the spring of 1815, Mary hears her beloved cousin Duncan calling desperately for her help. But Duncan is 3,000 miles away in Upper Canada, and to journey to him means leaving the safety and comfort of home for an unknown wilder...more
Published September 1st 1988 by Puffin Books (first published April 1st 1987)

Falina
This book reminded me of why I often prefer children's books to adult books. Even when the characters undergo challenges and heartache, they're just somehow more uplifting than so many adult books, especially "classics" which a lot of the time seem to be about people slowly mentally disintegrating.

Favourite quote:
"My heart can never truly leave those hills, Luke. I know I must live with that sadness but I know that I do not have to live as though burdened by a heavy cloak soaked in rain. I can...more
Jessica
One of my favorite books in grade school/junior high. It was very interesting to read about the contrast between life in mid-1800's Scotland and Canada. I always assumed that the settlers brought their own ways with them, but Mary soon finds that her clothes are wrong, her way of working is wrong, and she doesn't have the skills she needs for life on the Canadian frontier. Also, what do you do when you've traveled across an ocean for someone, and they aren't there when you arrive? Her aunt and u...more
Gale
HAUNTED IN THE NEW WOLRD BY HER DARK COUSIN

This dark fantasy does not approach Lunn's superb THE ROOT CELLAR, but proves an interesting read all the same. Two cousins in 19th century Scotland, born the same week, grow up inseparable. Despite their different temperaments and appearance, Mairi and Duncan are two halves of one coin; they vow at age 11 to remain of couple for ever. Then Duncan's family decides to emigrate to Upper Canada, a move which threatens to tear assunder the unique bond that...more
Krystyne
It started off a bit slow but then I got completely immersed in the story. Well written book. I liked the Canadian history in the background. The romance was an added spark to the story.
Sarah Clough
I read this as a youngster. I just re-read it on the hunt for a particular book. It wasn't the one I was looking for, but I found it moving and worthwhile even at the age of 34.
Blythe
I read this book in grade 6 - and many many years later I still think of its haunting tale. A beautifully told story, that stuck in the mind of a 12 year old reader.
Sally
Mary in Scotland has a dream that her cousin Duncan needs her. Problem #1, he's in Canada. Problem #2, it's the 1800s so she can't just hop on a plane or call him - she has to get herself onto a boat for three or so months and keep her fingers crossed that he's still alive when she arrives! Interesting tale, that really shows the troubles of keeping in contact with people in times before ours.
Cheryl in CC NV
Just to be clear on one thing - this is most def. not the 'sequel' to Root Cellar, and both stand on their own just fine.

What else is it? A rich bit of historical fiction. A haunting romance. A ghost story. And a story of a teen girl who makes her own way in a time & place that tested the strength & resolve of grown men. Gracefully, engagingly, even entertainingly written.
Nanna
Sep 28, 2011 Nanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This is a re-read of a book I loved in my youth. I decided to re-read it for research for the next novel I plan to write. Gorgeous writing, engaging story. Definitely more middle grade than YA. I remember it being very scary when I read it as a child, but definitely that wasn't the case now. It still didn't detract from my enjoyment of this fast read.
Kristen Smith
A story of how a young woman comes to find herself. A nice love story. A nice family history. It's one of those I like to reread every few years. I would say 11/12 and up due to matter-of-fact sexual innuendo involving secondary characters. Also deals with suicide. Read it before letting your kids under 13 read it.
Joanna
not half as good as it's precedent, The Hollow Tree. Uses witchcraft, if i recall right... i only skipped through it to see if the main charectors were the same. They werent.

i had ot atleast give it a two star, b/c of who it's author is. =)
Fragilemuse
This was one of the most haunting and memorable books I read as a child. I revisit every couple years and it never ceases to give me chills.
Ashley
Would recommend this book to young adults or even older adults. the story is timeless and touching. Speaks a lot about the power of human action.
Erin
One of my favorite books when I was in grade six. I remember feeling actually frightened about what could happen to the main character.
Georgina
The characters were a bit stiff at times (especially Mary) but the story turned out well all the same.
Hpitcher
the best book that i had to read for school. still not great
Nightfalltwen
I read this back in grade six. I remember liking it back then.
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kristy Halseth
Kristy Halseth marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Anoush Emrazian
Anoush Emrazian marked it as to-read
Gilly
Gilly marked it as to-read
Megan Smith
Megan Smith marked it as to-read
Amelia Loken
Amelia Loken marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Haunted
  • A Handful of Time
  • The Gravesavers
  • Forbidden City
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • The Nine Days Queen (Beneath the Crown, #1)
  • From Anna
  • Janey's Girl
  • Mortebouse (Lou!, Tome 2)
  • Something From Nothing
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • Jeanne, fille du Roy/The King's Daughter
  • Pile of Bones (Parallel Parks, #1)
  • Lisa's War
  • The Druid's Tune
  • Freaks: Alive, on the Inside!
Janet was born Janet Louise Swoboda on December 28, 1928 in Dallas, Texas, U.S.A, moved to Vermont when she was two and lived there until she was ten when the family moved to the outskirts of New York City. She came to Canada in 1946 to go to Notre Dame College in Ottawa and then to Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. There she met and married Richard Lunn, a fellow student. She has lived in...more
More about Janet Lunn...
The Root Cellar The Hollow Tree A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson (Dear Canada) Twin Spell Amos's Sweater