The Wedding Gamble

The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Sarah Wellingford did her duty and married the compelling Marquess of Englemere, a man who awakens passions within her. Nicholas Stanhope's tragic past has convinced him that women are not to be trusted. But this marriage of convenience is becoming very inconvenient, as he is perilously close to falling for his wife.
Hardcover, Large Print, 380 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Mills & Boon (first published May 1st 1999)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne
This is a book that quickly grew on me. At first it was hard for me to catch onto the writing style of Ms. Justiss but after I did I began to really enjoy the story. I liked all the characters. The author catches the historic banter and time of the story very well and I often wondered where she learned some of those classic words and made them fit in so realistically.

The plot was simple. Sarah marries Nicholas for financial reasons. Even though the marriage isn't a love match, it's easy to tell...more
Dancer
The one thing of which a reader must be aware when chosing a Harlequin title is the word count. Because of this factor, the ending is sometimes rushed. That is true in this novel, although I enjoyed the character development of both Nicholas Stanhope and Sarah Wallingford.
willaful
This convenient marriage romance had many good qualities. Both parties did their best to avoid being unreasonable or cause misunderstandings. The conflicts between them were mostly real -- she had a former lover she still loved, he had a mistress he hadn't yet broken with. (Though he stopped sleeping with her, so there's no actual cheating.) It was just too episodic a story for my tastes. Be warned that it gets very heavy in places.
Linda
Regency romance, a bit too much heart break for me, two people who just won´t communicate and therefore suffer a lot, until the last two pages. Didn´t really connect with me, i prefer a little more fluff. Or maybe i´m just having an off day =). Slow middle in the book, didn´t pick up until the end and i nearly didn´t finish it. Sorry to say.
Lady Wesley
I've never read Julia Justiss before, but I quite enjoyed this clever marriage of convenience story. In addition to the usual, it's got a bit of a love triangle and an odious villain. Quite entertaining.
Cherise
Reread. I do adore this one, especially with such an honest and unabashed H.

Conventional marriage of convenience theme, but with both starting out with a warm friendship. Both have another lurking somewhere, but ended up together. Initially it is because the h is truly desperate and H feels protective of her, but as they spend time together, it grows into a deep abiding love that may not be violently passionate, but strong and enduring all the same.

The H started out admiring the h but ended up...more
A wonderful story about a marriage of convenience. Sarah and Nick (leading characters) are forced to marry, Sarah because of her fathers Gambling Debt's are about to be called in and leave her and her siblings homeless; and Nick who has promised to marry by the end of the season sweeps in and saves the day and Sarah from an abusive would be suitor/husband after his own engagement is called off with Sarah's friend. While there are no grand adventures or a grand mystery that must be solved, the au...more
Pam
Historical romance with a twist. Sarah Wallingford was compelled to marry Nicholas Stanhope, the Marquess of Englemere, in order to save her family from financial ruin. Sarah finds herelf in love with Nicholas -- too bad that he doesn't want a wife who loves him.
Dana
I’m not a fan of marriage of convenience stories. Most of the time I completely loose interest in the romance after the couple marries and that was the case with this book. I liked the banter between the couple but I almost felt that they worked better as friends. I just wasn’t feeling the romance here. Fortunately, there was enough going on with the plot and side characters that I still found this book entertaining even though I didn’t like the romance.
Lisamarie
I was quite surprised at the plot for this book. Sarah was such a good heroine. Nicholas was a little weaker. I was truly surprised with Sarah's ex - it's not usual for a woman who was self described as not pretty having three men pursue her. It was a good story and I recommend it to anyone wanting a good story. I did cry in some parts because I got involved with Sarah's feelings, but it was a very emotional time for her. It drew me in and kept me interested.
Highland-dreamer
I don't think the description does this book justice. I thought it was well-written and entertaining.
Jaime
Historical romance with delicious chemistry between the hero and heroine.
Carmela
Carino anche se niente di eccezionale;) però è stata una lettura rilassante
Ms Vee
Ms Vee marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Δέσποινα
Δέσποινα marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Wei Hou
Wei Hou marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Barb Chansky
Barb Chansky marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Lawanda Mckenzie
Lawanda Mckenzie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Epilogue1212
Epilogue1212 marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Julia Justiss grew up breathing the scent of sea air near the colonial town of Annapolis, Maryland, a fact responsible for two of her life-long passions: sailors and history! By age twelve she was a junior tour guide for Historic Annapolis, conducting visitors on walking tours through the city that was a hotbed of revolutionary fervor. (Annapolis hosted its own tea party, dispensing with the cargo...more
More about Julia Justiss...
A Most Unconventional Match (Wellingfords, #3) The Untamed Heiress The Courtesan The Smuggler and the Society Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #3) One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie, #4.5)