Start by marking “The Far Away Years” as Want to Read:
The Far Away Years

The Far Away Years

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Danny and Jeff have never had an easy relationship. Danny admits early on that he wants Jeff, maybe even loves him, but all Jeff wants is a normal life, at least as normal as a rock star can have. Over the years, the two of them will come together and drift apart, as Danny spirals deeper into depression over what he feels is an unrequited love.

Jeff has his own reasons for
Published April 2008 by Torquere Press (first published April 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Away Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Away Years

Kassa

The Far Away Years is a mixed blessing. On the one hand it’s very emotional, interesting, and engaging. I didn’t ever want to put it down. The flip side to that is for 200 pages the main characters spiral down in a host of self destructive behavior and really horrible actions. They finally find happiness and redemption in the last 50 pages or so but I find it hard to buy into the happy ending. One week of good behavior versus 10 years of abuse and neglect don’t really even out. Since it
Maggie Simms
I wavered between a 3 and 4 for this one, so 3.5

Since some of my absolute favorite books ranked on the 'edgy' and 'dark' The Substitute, Special Forces, The Administration side, I find myself always interested in twisted love stories in which at least one of the MCs is a bastard or at least, the anti-hero. The one thing that all these books have in common though, is that I find the anti-hero quite likable and find myself rooting for him.

I love rock star stories so a rock star story on the dark
Edina Rose
Sexy rockers Plus-Novel!

The plot: Jeff and Danny, two struggling rockers from the same band, are attracted to each other but Jeff is in denial of his sexuality and Danny is in the closet. Added to that, Jeff is married to a woman and Danny always has a girlfriend. Then one day they start a secret affair. At the same period Jeff has a child and success finally comes for the band. Lots of conflicting interests are present, and that is when everything starts to really get crazy for all of them, the
vLadimiR

A story set in the 80's about rock star Danny who falls for his new band mate Jeff while they try to make it big in the music industry.

Things aren't all hearts and rainbows with this story because after a rift forms between our MCs, Danny's life turns for the worse in a whirlwind of drugs and alcohol. The plot spans a couple of years and while Danny sinks, Jeff seems to flourish in his career.

It is now up to Jeff to rescue Danny from his self destructive ways and finally rekindle the feelings
Elisa Rolle
It's 3.30 in the morning and I just finished to cry. No, not worry, I'm not sad, I'm only sapply happy. I read a book that makes me cry like a fountain and I'm happy... and I can't stop yawning.

1977. Danny is a little skinny guy with a good voice but with a lot of emotional issues. He is gay, even if he can't admit it with the world and even with himself. But when he lays eyes on Jeff, he falls in love head over heels. Jeff is a guitarist; really he is not a pretty boy, rather the opposite, but
Darkm
I liked this book very much and I would have given it 4.5 stars but there were two things that prevented me from doing so.

(view spoiler)
Kat
Karen K
I'm giving this book a 4.5 because I just loved it. The characters were real and raw, the relationship hard and realistic, the writing endearing and descriptive. I'm a sucker for rockstar books and rockstars themselves, and this book made me swoon. It was a wonderful take on the friends to lovers idea, and I really liked that it wasn't all easy and free-flowing, that it happened over a number of years, that none of the characters were saints or angels. It was a fabulous read and I'm sure I'll re ...more
Kristy Maitz
I was looking at the book for a while now. I told myself »Probably to much drama, for your liking« and guess what? I was right.

Both main character Jeff and Danny are very into each other from the start and you can feel it while reading. Then reality strikes and one because of doubts and fears, becomes a little pet dog to idiotic wife and the other one is to the bone wounded, physically and almost dies on drugs. As I was saying drama, drama, drama.

But heck we got happy ending »Yey«.
J
Stopped after 41%. I have to think about how to explain what I found just plain wrong about this story. Characters can have dysfunctional relationships, commit violent and abusive acts against one another, and fall into addiction and lies for long periods of time.

But there's something in these interactions which felt at times patently unbelievable, and in other places downright inauthentic - from the actions to the dialogue. The tension among bandmates and the high tolerance for day-to-day dysf
Adriana
Oct 24, 2012 Adriana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I think I already read this, can't remember...
Snowtulip
Apr 13, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snowtulip by: stacey jo
Shelves: m-m
ANGST!
Natalie
Andrea
After I read a little of this book I thought it wasn't for me. Then I kept reading and all of a sudden hours had passed! I didn't know it was possible to both love and hate characters in a book as strongly as I do these.

If you like flawed characters who take you on a roller coaster ride but finally get you to a happy ending, you'll love this.
SueM
3.5 stars. An emotional and angst-ridden novel, following Jeff and Danny as their lives become increasingly depressing and distant from reality. Lots of manipulating and selfish people seem to surround them, exacerbating their emotional roller-coaster and tearing apart their fragile relationship. The novel takes place over a fairly long time frame (about a decade) and for the most part is bleak and dark. It's really only in the last quarter or fifth of the novel that hope begins to shine through ...more
Rachel
This was an engaging story with 2 MCs torn over being gay and out and loving each other. 1 has an idea of normal and nearly ruins both their lives . Addiction is part of the story too.
They have to work for their HEA but its a good read.
Samantha Turner
Emotional

This book just took me on such an emotional rollercoaster. The love and hate of the relationship between Jeff and Danny was explosive.
Dawn
Interesting

I enjoyed this book. That being said I enjoyed the story no real hot sex scenes. Just a good coming together story. Struggles to get to happiness.
Stacey Jo
OMG! I lost a nights sleep over this book. Yep, couldn't stop reading. The writing is superb. The characters were so alive. If you like rockstars and angst, then this is the book for you. The book spans over a 10 year span in the 70's and 80's of the lives and "secret" relationship of Danny and Jeff. It's an emotional ride with some kleenex moments if you are inclined to cry. It has the sweet HEA that Jeff and Danny deserve. But I gotta say, after reading this one, I need to trad something light ...more
Alyosha

Interesting, compelling read about two rock stars.

warning/incentive: Extremely angsty (multiple suicide attempts, drug-abuse, both physical and emotional abuse, cheating, dubious consent, egocentric characters, evil bitch wife, self-hatred, closeted, character in denial about his sexuality, childhood trauma, personality change, selling oneself for drugs, years of separation, love story rather than a romance)
Alli
Some plot holes, but still well written & captivating. The story is harsh & sad in places so anyone looking for a shmoopy book won't find it here. Both characters are hugely troubled, selfish & hateful at times, but still wonderful.

Addiction, deep denial were depicted fairly realistically, although a couple of issues were wrapped up too neatly. A huge romantic payoff at the end. I loved this book.
TF
At times this book was really dark and I just wished I could smack Jeff on the head and tell him to face his fears but instead the only thing I could do was to keep on reading and hoping that it would work out fine in the end.

I've never wanted to be a rock star, might be because I'm close to tone death, but this book made me wonder why anyone would want to live the kind of Life they where living.
Indigo
This was a hard (emotionally) story to read. It took me forever zo finish and b turn I hated it or felt a morbid fascination, because it made me often feel very unconfortable, a bit like a voyeur of somebody's misery.
I am glad the reading is over and this book let a lasting sweet and saur impression.
Lily

This was a hard story to get through. Lots of angst, infidelity, drug use and a toxic 10 year relationship that was almost magically cured in the end. Despite all that it's well-written and totally sucked me in.
Juli
Kathy
Jan 19, 2012 Kathy added it
I was not very thrilled with this book. Too much angst and self destruction. The ending was great but fast considering how long it took the two of them to finally get together.
Sandy Malone
I loved this book. I felt so sorry for Danny, and really had a HUGE issue with Jeff, he seemed like such an ASS! In the end he was redeemed, but it seemed kinda rushed.
Rosie
3.5 Stars.
  • Reverb
  • With The Band
  • A Red-Tainted Silence
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • Black Gold (Black Gold #1)
  • No Fear (Conquest, #2)
  • Moonlight Becomes You (Lucky Moon, #1)
  • Entanglements
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • The Dark Angels: With Wings
  • Shades Of Dreams
  • Metal Heart
  • Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #2)
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • The Green-Eyed Monster (Crucifox, #1)
  • The Replacement Guitarist (The Replacement Guitarist, #1)
  • Heart Song
  • Broken
An erotic gay romance writer with delusions of grandeur and grades of insanity. I love writing about rock stars because I think that kind of life creates opportunities to explore a person's flaws, their shortcomings. I like to look behind the masks people present to the world, try to see the real them, ugliness and all. Also, I have a thing for bad boys...
More about L.F. Blake...
Tequila Angel The Magician's Assistant

“What would you rather have?"
"Cheeseburger and a small fry. Coke classic. Better yet, dope classic."
"Sure. I'll take a milkshake. What's the special flavor this week, chocolate Jack Daniels?"
"Strawberry scotch."
"Stick one of those paper umbrellas in mine."
"Shove a syringe in mine. And a plastic tombstone. RIP, baby. He was born a rock star. He died a junkie."
"Rock in peace."
[...]
"He wanted the world and lost his soul. [...] Sold it all for rock and roll. Lost his heart in a needle. Found his life in the grave. The road to hell is paved in marijuana leaves. Now he rocks in peace.”
10 likes