Start by marking “Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2: War Of Kings Book 1” as Want to Read:
Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2: War Of Kings Book 1

Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2: War Of Kings Book 1 (Guardians of the Galaxy II #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  832 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
A new line-up! And Star-Lord... missing! The shocking revelations made at the end of their Secret Invasion adventure have ripped the team apart! Is there anyone left to continue the task of guarding the galaxy? Who are the new additions to the team? Is this volume going to be packed full of shocks and surprises? This is DnA and Pelletier...so what do you think? Join the bo ...more
Published September 23rd 2009 by Marvel (first published June 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2

Anne
Feb 14, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it

The problem with finding great comic books is that once you latch on to an interesting story/title, you feel compelled to dig up everything else you can find on it.
War of Kings is something I've been meaning to get to for a while, but now I'm going to have to bump it up to the top of my list.
I have to know what's going on here!

I liked this volume even more than the first one. It's still got quite a bit of humor in it, but now the plot is advancing at a pretty good clip.
Star-Lord's plan
Kemper
Mar 15, 2014 Kemper rated it really liked it
Thanks to the trailer for the upcoming movie adaptation I was singing Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga the entire time I was reading this.

The Guardians of the Galaxy had a falling out among themselves after learning that their leader Peter Quill (a/k/a Star-Lord) had used an underhanded tactic when recruiting them. Now Quill has vanished and some Guardians are off running personal missions, but the universe still needs saving regularly so Rocket Raccoon has pulled the remaining members back together as well
Sud666
Aug 04, 2016 Sud666 rated it really liked it
Part two of the Abnett run on the cosmic space opera that is Guardians of the Galaxy. I rather liked this one as the scope of the tale has expanded into some of the cosmic areas that are rarely explored in some of the other titles.

After the debacle of the first formation falling apart due to the revelations of Peter Quill's mind manipulation-the team fractures. Everybody seems to go on their own way and many after their own projects. Drax and Phyla-Vell go looking for some little girl Drax wants
Joseph
Dec 18, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, another great GOTG book from DnA! The team is ruptured and leaderless, and the time/space continuum problem is still looking to happen. Lots of good fight scenes, as well as some Marvel lore I'm not familiar with, but DnA, once again, have a way of making the obscure/past references make sense to the new/casual reader.

This volume, and the next, cross over with the War of Kings event, so I'm gonna have to read that series to see wtf is going on. Meanwhile, on to vol 3!
Ashley
Apparently the edition I read was an omnibus of volumes one and two. See here for my review.
Aaron
Jan 28, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cosmic extravaganza from Abnett & Lanning. These guys know what the hell they're doing, and seem to be having a ton of fun doing it. This book is considerably funnier than the first volume, with the writers appearing to have relaxed into the Guardians dynamic a little more. I particularly love how they take a dysfunctional team to the highest level of dysfunction (total distrust and dissolution) and still manage to write the book that feels like a team book. Threads spread out all ov ...more
Andrew
Jul 26, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Solid. I read the first volume sometime before the film came out last year, and I liked it. So it's been a while since the Dan Abnett volume 1 (took place during the Skrull Invasion), but man this one just pulled me right along. Everything ties together nicely: I liked Peter Quill's negative zone journey and run-in with Blastaar; I liked Rocket and Co's Badoon fighting romp (great art on that section); I liked Drax and Quasar's search for his daughter; and I liked Gamora and Adam Warlock's conti ...more
Pete
May 24, 2016 Pete rated it really liked it
More action packed nacho cheese goodness. I can tell this is a set up story for the overall plot. Having the Guardians spread out across the galaxy and other dimensions was a little jarring but I look forward to the reunion surrounded by a real plot.

The last two issues were slow and weird. I'm not sure if I missed something in some crossover bullshit. Still fun overall.
Riley Blue
Aug 15, 2014 Riley Blue rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Star-Lord (Peter Quill), Gamora-Adam Warlock y Drax el Destructor-Quasar (Phyla-Vell), están separados del grupo y es interesante ver las venturas de cada uno de ellos, mientras tanto el peculiar Rocket Raccoon forma su propio grupo temporal porque no puede dejar la Galaxia indefensa. Muy buen volumen.
Jonathan Barnett
May 05, 2016 Jonathan Barnett rated it liked it
The Guardians of the Galaxy live up to their name.

I read this a few years ago and saw this listed on my notes. I actually can't recall that much about it. I remember liking it but its obviously not that memorable. This version served as the basis for the 2014 Marvel movie of the same name, therefore this will likely appeal more to those familiar with the movies than the comic books.

An aspect that I enjoyed was the crazy time loop of it all. The Original Guardians are from the future while this
Khairul H.
Aug 06, 2009 Khairul H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Surprisingly enjoyable. I say surprisingly, because I was expected a rehash of the Guardians of 20 years ago. Glad I was wrong. Smart writing and nice pencils make me a happy boy. Also, it has Groot, a sentient tree who likes punching people. Sometimes all you need in a comic book is to see a talking tree in a jumpsuit punch bad guys, y'know. Stupid awesome stuff like that is why I'm reading this book.
Hrishi
Jun 07, 2014 Hrishi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a complicated, satisfying book with some mind-blowing art, intricate story-telling, and great characters. If like me, you're reading through Marvel Cosmic and have the context of everything that's going on since the reboot that was Annihilation, you'll enjoy the volume all the more. This book collects issues 7 through 12 of the Abnett run of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and sees the team splintered, in the wake of the revelation that Quill/ Star Lord manipulated them into joining. This s ...more
Anthony
Aug 29, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
The first volume left me a little disappointed. This one is much better, and more of what I was expecting: cosmic super hero stories with a good sense of humour weaved into it. I probably enjoyed this volume a bit more because I knew the characters better, so I was connected to them more emotionally.
Ana
Apr 27, 2014 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encanta!
Alan
Jan 30, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
These may not be Marvel's cosmic characters as we remember them, but Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning do a solid job of mixing space opera with super heroics. Frankly I could have done without the whole Dragon of the Moon part of the storyline.
Robert
Dec 30, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Wow, this series finally started coming into its own with this volume. Given the tie in to the "War of Kings" event (which I have not read...where's the Comixology sale?), I expected the slightly dull veneer of the previous volume to continue. Maybe it was the breaking up of the team at the end of the last arc that propelled the plot forward: switching between three to four different groups within an issue allowed for much more screen time for all characters and continued to open up some interes ...more
Chris Aylott
Feb 15, 2014 Chris Aylott rated it liked it
You've got to give Abnett a lot of credit for being willing to bust up the Guardians of the Galaxy only six issues after they got together again for the first time. It works well as a story-telling gambit, too. We got to know the characters as a group over six months; now we get a closer look at them in smaller groups. We also get even more new characters, bringing in even more of the cast-of-dozens feel that I've always loved about DC's Legion of Superheroes.

And the art? Well, either the artist
Silas
Feb 05, 2015 Silas rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable, straightforward story full of little hints to draw you further in to more obscure parts of the Marvel universe (the future Guardians of the Galaxy, the War of Kings storyline). I liked that it brought the cosmic story back to something that ties in to Earth via the Negative Zone and the prisons that are built there. There are sort of three storylines going on here, but I can see how they might converge, and it has me interested in seeing both how they turn out and how they ...more
Laurla2
Dec 31, 2014 Laurla2 added it
Shelves: graphic-novel
i didnt like this one so much. the library got me vol 2 before vol 1, so i'm not aware of any betrayal or breakup yet. and this collection is mostly random single character comics, not actual full guardians comics.

Guardians of the Galaxy #7-12. If the Guardians have broken up, who will save the galaxy from the Church of Universal Truth, the Badoon and King Blastaar? Fear not, for a new team has risen, including Bug, Major Victory, Gamora, Groot, and led by Rocket Raccoon. And they are ready to p
Nicole Bunge
Aug 07, 2013 Nicole Bunge rated it liked it
Much better pacing (a lot less frentic - yes frantic and hectic)than the last volume, at least in terms of the art, than the first volume.

Helps I like these characters better and they're given room to breathe and actually explain themselves between hodge-podge save-the-universe battles. (At least they take the time for cheesey throw away one-liners "of course the last time I met you, on X you did Y!" so I'm not going WTF!?! and am expected to have followed and absorbed the whole Marvel Universe
J.
Aug 17, 2012 J. rated it liked it
OK, first: there's no reason this has "War of Kings" in the title, other than perhaps to grab readers. It gets the characters in place for the main event, but doesn't appear to have anything to do with the events of WoK, otherwise.

So, at the opening of this book the characters that are interesting (Groot, Raccoon, Bug, Mantis) have separated from the boring ones (Warlock, Gamora, Quasar), so we start with a good plotline involving them, and their (currently lost and in trouble) leader, Peter Qui
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would not have given this collection the War of Kings name, as it serves as more of a prelude to the War, but it's a terrific set of stories. Abnett and Lanning intertwine a story of Gamora and Warlock clashing with the Church of Universal Truth, an eerie tale of Quasar and Drax hunting for a lost friend, Star-Lord getting trapped in the Negative Zone, and Rocket Raccoon inviting a few new players to join the team for a rescue mission.

As the previous sentence may have indicated, this is not a
Todd
May 13, 2015 Todd rated it really liked it
"I hate Cosmic stuff". First real question: Why did Jack Flag dye his hair red, white and blue? Did he want his jailers to know he's still super-patriotic?

Besides that, this is a great collection. The characters move and aren't at the same place they started. They kick-ass in their own story with hints of a larger universe.

I'm intrigued by the developments of a Phyla-Vel. I hope that it is actually realized before this series ends. Eloquent Drax is surprisingly comical.
Anna Livingston
Apr 10, 2014 Anna Livingston rated it really liked it
I liked this much better than the first volume, maybe because I had a better sense of the characters this time around -- but I think the storyline was more compelling as well. Now I'm actually looking forward to the movie instead of feeling a bit meh about it.
Callie Rose Tyler
Aug 12, 2016 Callie Rose Tyler rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
So much going on...the original Guardians have split up so Rocket and Groot fill out the ranks with Bug, Mantis, and Major Victory.

Meanwhile Drax is searching for his daughter, Gamora is taking on the Universial Church of Truth, and Starlord is stuck in the Negative Zone.

It's been a while since I read volume 1 so I was a little lost at parts. There is little to no recap and the briefings I enjoyed are sparse and far between.

Starlord's Negative Zone battle was definitely the highlight with tons o
Stephanie
May 13, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel
The Guardians are probably (and I don't mean this as an insult) the weirdest segment of the Marvel Universe. But that is what makes them stand out from, say, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, & so on. Unfortunately, it also makes them a harder sell.
Benjamin
Aug 27, 2014 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
OK, now we're getting somewhere! Time-traveling "Guardian" with Captain America's shield? Character deaths and resurrections? Problems all across the universe? This is where the best Guardians of the Galaxy stories start!
Jon Boon
Jul 18, 2014 Jon Boon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abnett and Lanning have dragged these Marvel cosmic characters from Annihilation, through Conquest and into Guardians and given them, well, character. Spark and humour, intimacy without losing the epic. Very 5 ...more
Megan
Things are heating up. It's still a fun read with tight writing and gorgeous art. I'm missing some of the background information, but it is written in such a way to still be accessible and enjoyable.
S.E. Doster
Apr 15, 2014 S.E. Doster rated it really liked it
Volume two is just as intense and witty as the very first volume of The Guardians of the Galaxy. New characters are introduced to the team's lineup, and Star Lord has found himself in trouble!
  • Annihilation, Book Three
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 5: Escape from the Eighth City
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 6
  • Daredevil, Vol. 3: The Daredevil You Know
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: War of the Marvels

Guardians of the Galaxy II (6 books)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Legacy