Start by marking “Christmas At Thrush Green” as Want to Read:
Christmas At Thrush Green

Christmas At Thrush Green (Thrush Green #13)

The people of Thrush Green celebrate Christmas in a traditional style which has hardly changed over the generations. Children eagerly hang up their stockings, families go to Church together, and everyone enjoys Christmas cake and other treats of the festive season. This Christmas novel is packed with festive cheer.
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Orion (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas At Thrush Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas At Thrush Green

Katherine
I consider myself a true fan of Miss Read and her books. So much so that I've collected most of her books throughout the years and I re-read them when I'm in special need of old friends in the form of gentle, uplifting books.

I approached this one with some trepidation because I heard it have been co-authored due to Miss Read's advanced age and failing health. A note in the acknowledgements at the beginning of the book reads:
I would like to thank my long-time editor, Jenny Dereham, for all the wo
Paulette Sheward
Relax anderson enjoy.

A delightful Read. She always manages to make you feel like you are there. Will add to Miss Read collection.
Arati
May 27, 2012 Arati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The villagers of Thrush Green celebrate Christmas in a way that has hardly changed over the generations. Children eagerly hang up their stockings, families go to church together, everyone enjoys Christmas cake and other treats of the festive season.'

Thrush Green is a quaint village set around a village green and the village church, around which the village's activities abound over the Christmas season. Phil Hurst and her journalist husband Frank set about running the annual nativity play. Alber
Kate
Nov 30, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The villagers of Thrush Green celebrate Christmas traditionally, in a way that has hardly changed over the generations. Children eagerly hang up their stockings, families go to church together, everyone enjoys treats of the festive season. And when it snows as the carol singers make their way round the cottages on the green, it seems as if Christmas will be perfect this year. But not everything is as peaceful as it seems. Phyllida and Frank have their work cut out for them when they agree to ...more
Deborah
Aug 16, 2014 Deborah rated it liked it
This book wasn't actually written by Miss Read, and it shows. She approved the plot and what was going to happen to the characters, and then let her editor write it. One star deducted because despite trying very hard, it simply isn't Miss Read's 'voice' telling the story, and it's a book that would have been better not written.

Having said that, it's nice to find out what happened next to all our favourite characters. So if you've read all the other Thrush Green books it's hard to resist.

Second s
Jeannie
Jan 01, 2010 Jeannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought it! A brand new Miss Read book. She hasn't published in 10 years. It's actually outlined by Dora Saint and written by her assistant but reads like her other books. I'm saving it to read closer to the holidays.

I read it from Christmas Eve to New Years Eve and really enjoyed it! It reads like a Miss Read but the characters are a bit harsher and astoundingly unforgiving. spoiler....

I was a little disappointed in where some of the characters were heading, like Paul and Ella. I wonder if Mis
Ann
Dec 29, 2015 Ann rated it liked it
This is a generous three stars! It has been recently written (2009), it says by Miss Read but her editor has written it with her. I think that it keeps faithful to the original books. I have difficulty however, with the time lag - I think the first Thrush Green book was published (just checked) in 1959!! If my memory serves me well I think that Paul Youngs was a small boy - how come he's still only in his teens?? They are very pleasant, easy to read books, no specific year is mentioned but some ...more
Lisa
Oct 04, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book in a long-running series that started in the 1950s--and I've only read the first book and this one--shocked a bit because it's set in the 1980s, so far as I can tell. Not a whole lot has changed in English village life, however, and although the book gets off to a slow start, it ultimately focuses on friendship, good humor, the joys and sorrows of aging, and the daily aspects of family life, as well as introducing a cute Nativity pageant and a New Year's Eve dinner that ties up the ...more
Jackie Bridgen
Jan 25, 2011 Jackie Bridgen rated it really liked it
Oh, I was worried about this one! Mainly written by her editor of thirty years, in close consultation with the lady herself, who is now in her nineties, I'd guess - I almost didn't go for it.
I'm glad I did though. With the exception of about three phrases that made me suck in air and go 'oh no, Miss Read wouldn't have said that' it was classic Thrush Green, and had matured nicely.
It helped a lot that they found an illustrator whose work is a real homage to J S Goodall, and all in all, a lovely C
Wendy
Jan 02, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm holding onto this gem until closer to Christmas. How exciting that Miss Read has chosen her long-time editor to write this book for her. Dora Saint is now 96 years old and is legally blind. We in the Miss Read yahoo group were delighted to know there would be another book after so many years without one. I love Miss Read's books.

I savoured this book over Christmas. Although there are parts of it that don't sound like Miss Read, I was glad to catch up with the characters. Dora Saint's own eye
M.K. Aston
Nov 18, 2014 M.K. Aston rated it liked it
I adore reading Miss Read, her Thrush Green and Fairacre stories all, and it's become a bit of a habit to dust off one of her Christmas books at this time of year. While this most recent title (written in collaboration with her long-time editor Jenny Dereham) has all the nostalgia, charm and colourful characters of her other books, for me, it doesn't quite match them in it's overall enjoyment. But it's still a lovely tale and I'll no doubt read it several more times in the future when the ...more
Angie
Dec 19, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Always good to return to a Miss Read story; life in her quaint English villages is based on long term relationships between friends, couples, businesses and even buildings. A lesson in sustainability and parsimony which warms the heart and makes me wish for simpler times, entertaining and old friends. My only suggestion is start at the beginning of the series as the list of players goes on and on.
Mary
Sep 17, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
The Thrush Green books were written in the 1960's,'70's, '80's and 90's by a delightful woman who was born in 1913. I first read a few of the "book club" editions, which were published in the late 1970's. I was excited to see the library carried some of them & kept me busy reading one summer. There's just something so peacefully charming and cheerful about these books ...
Maryzj
Nov 29, 2014 Maryzj rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-group
A simple, feel-good christmas tale, but incredibly dated, even though it was only published in 2009. Sentences about womenfolk doing the christmas shopping and teenage boys kicking over litter bins, and people called Dulcie and Dimity all add to the old-fashioned feel, and some of the writing is so stilted "As agreed, we'll aim to serve up at nine" - who speaks like that?
Charlie Trafford
Mar 22, 2016 Charlie Trafford rated it liked it
It didn't take long for me to realise it's nothing like a Miss Read book, despite the fact that time moves on, this book has a forced modern feel about it, which is not in keeping with previous books. Many of our 'old friends' seem to have a personality change, definitely not the Thrush Green we have come to know and love..disappointing
Joe
Mar 27, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
For a novel in which nothing happens, this comes to a very satisfying resolution. I've read a number of other reviews which fret about the quality of the prose, since this book was evidently ghost-written by Miss Read's longtime editor. But what I'm struck by is how nicely the book is plotted. This whole series is about maintaining good cheer in the face of mortality. I appreciate that.
Judith Graham
Apr 17, 2016 Judith Graham rated it it was amazing
What a lovely feel good book. I loved the characters and the different story lines running through the book. It reminded me of old fashioned Christmases and ones I spent as a child and I thoroughly recommend it.
Libbeth
Dec 30, 2010 Libbeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, christmas
A very gentle listen whilst stitching during the Christmas break. A catch up with the characters of earlier Thrush Green novels and their everyday lives.
Gayle
Jan 07, 2013 Gayle rated it liked it
This is not a favorite of mine, but I still love all the Miss Read books. They are the books I read just before bed, you unwind your brain and relax into village life.
Deborah Wyatt
Nov 28, 2015 Deborah Wyatt rated it it was amazing
My sister, Beth bought this book for me and I absolutely love it! I've read it every Christmas since and will continue to do so.
Ellen
Jan 11, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
Sad that this is the last of the Thrush Green books. I enjoyed this one very much. I will have to check out the Fairacre books. I hope they are as good as this series.
Betsy
Dec 31, 2014 Betsy rated it it was ok
I'm the wrong audience for this book. It's surprisingly old fashioned for a book written in 2009. I was especially put off by the multiple mentions of "women's work." No thank you.
Veronique
Apr 25, 2011 Veronique rated it did not like it
My only poor excuse for reading this book is that I was recovering from the flu whilst on a beach holiday.
Pete
Jan 06, 2013 Pete rated it it was amazing
Quaint, simple, beautiful... The perfect Christmas read with wonderful characters, pure joy and festive cheer. Not a lot happens but it is the sentiment that's worth reading for!
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Carol Cropp
Carol Cropp rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
  • The Twelve Deaths Of Christmas
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • Winter Story
  • Santa Maybe
  • Mulled Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel #21)
  • The Oxford English Dictionary: 20 Volume Set and CD-ROM [With CDROM]
  • The Egyptian Jukebox: A Conundrum
  • Shoulder the Sky (Dering Family, #3)
  • Ethel and Ernest
  • A Christmas Cracker
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Thrush Green (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
  • Battles at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #4)
  • Return to Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #5)
  • Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • At Home in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #8)
  • The School at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #9)
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)