Start by marking “Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top” as Want to Read:
Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top

Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In 1997, amid Aerosmith's sold-out world tour and number one album release, word about Joey's troubles was reported in the press.Despite the advice he had received to play it down, Joey revealed in an interview his ongoing struggles with depression. The response from fans and people battling those same internal demons was overwhelming. Joey—who has been the drummer in Aero...more
Published June 30th 2009 by HarperOne (first published June 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hit Hard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hit Hard

Allison
Joey Kramer's book is all about him - surprise surprise, right? It's an autobiography, of course it's about him! But it's about his struggles through life, it's not just a name-dropping, I'm a kick-ass rock star type of book.

Joey Kramer tells you everything. He tells you about frequently crying like a baby as a grown man, he tells you about shitting his pants because he was so strung out, he tells you about the guilt he feels for missing out on his son's childhood because of drugs. He shoulders...more
Larry
If you are searching for an insider's look at the debauchery of the rock n' roll life or an in-depth exploration of Aerosmith, this is not the book for you. Read "Walk This Way" for the Aerosmith scoop and any book about Elvis Presley, the Grateful Dead or Led Zeppelin for the crazy life of a rock star. "Hit Hard" is a book about self-discovery and self-realization, and a pretty poor one at that. There are dozens of better rock books out there and dozens of better recovery/mental health books av...more
Luciano
There were parts of this book that were absolutely riveting. I'm still amazed that a human being, with this level of talent, can sink to the bottom the way he did. Sometimes the story flounders, but luckily for only a page or two. Kramer weaves a story drawing from both his upbringing in an abuse home and the rise, fall and rise again of Aerosmith and which deliver a real emotional punch. You have to give the guy credit for having the balls to write something with so much depth and be willing to...more
Tammy
This book has been on my 'to read' list since it came out. Not your typical sexdrugsandrockandroll memoir, although we certainly get a sense of all of these aspects in the classic tale - boy picks up an instrument, boy meets the right people in the right place at the right time, boy allows his excesses to take over his life, boy lives to tell the tale (that last part varies sometimes - in the classic tale...)

What stood out for me in this memoir was Mr. Kramer's obvious love for his art. Sure, t...more
Chip'sBookBinge
As a long time fan of Aerosmith, I was very excited and looking forward to reading Hit Hard, knowing the struggles of Joey Kramer and his combative relationship with Steven Tyler, which was hinted at in the long-form video for The Making Of Pump. But now having just finished the book, I'm very disappointed with the results of reading it. The best way I can describe Hit Hard is that it's a "self help" book disguised as a Rock and Roll Biography. While reading through the book, I felt cheated as a...more
Rene
Hit Hard is a memoir written by Joey Kramer the drummer for the Band Aerosmith. Although I like some of their songs I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Aerosmith so I may be biased in this review.

I probably wouldn't have picked this book off the shelf but I won a free copy from the publisher through this lovely goodreads site and I never turn away a free book! I'll read anything and when I found out that the book was about Kramer's and his bandmates struggles with addiction I was interested. I'm...more
Aaron
Pretty superficial as far as rock and roll memoirs go. A lot of the "good stuff" gets glossed over (examples: the gas station incident, how he met Linda, his relationship with Linda, fatherhood). Some things we already knew get treated as somewhat anecdotal.

I was surprised to learn that Joey was the last member of the band to submit to sobriety. Other books on this band have sort of painted him as the one who partied less and perhaps needed rehabilition less. Joey's account is the opposite stor...more
Christopher Hivner
As the drummer for Aerosmith Joey Kramer has done things and met people most of us never will. He has made a lot of money and felt the overwhelming adoration of thousands of people at one time. He has been lauded for his musical ability and loved as a son, brother, father, husband and band mate. But because he is human, none of this shields him from a bone-crushing depression and wondering what life is all about.

Hit Hard is Kramer’s life story from an abusive upbringing in the Bronx, to the drug...more
Ian
I've got to say I found this a bit of a struggle. The story of Aerosmith's drummer Joey Kramer is not your typical rock star biography. Although all the bases are covered from childhood to the formation of the band to their rise, fall and rebirth the main theme of the book is Joey's 'issues'. From domineering and abusive parents to domineering and abusive bandmates. From drug and alcohol problems to marriage problems. The depression that led to his eventual breakdown. All via several stints of r...more
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Very interesting. Not the best written but I learned some stuff about Aerosmith and about drumming. Plus I got some insight into how someone else copes with anxiety and depression.
I did notice he barely mentioned his accident where he was burned at a gas station. Other than mentioning it was very painful. He also didn't mention a lot about his son. What kind of father he is since he got off drugs. He mentioned a lot about his dad because that's where his issues were at. It did make me cry a litt...more
Joe Eidson
As a lifelong Aerosmith fan I jumped at the chance to read this autobiography and will probably pick up Steven Tyler's upcoming release as well. Many of the stories that Joey tells in this book overlap with those in "Walk This Way" - the book about the band as a whole - although it is nice to have his perspective on the sordid events that make up Aerosmith's history. I had no idea that he was abused as a child and dealt with those issues long into adulthood, and it was both shocking and emotiona...more
Todd
I'm not sure when I started reading this book what I expected, but it wasn't the story I ended up reading. I have been a fan of Aerosmith for years and have been lucky enough to have seen them in concert. I have also enjoyed books on the music heros of mine. But there was more to this story than just the rise/fall/ and rise again of Aerosmith and Joey Kramer. There is a gut wrenching story about his battle with depression and the excesses of being a rock star. Also he put acrossed very well how...more
Daisy
joey kramer is an awsome drummer,he's been in aerosmith since the day he met joe perry, brad whitford ,tom hamilton,and the frontman steven tyler. he is an insperation to every aerosmith fan. he has also inspirred me, all the things that he went through when he was a kid all the way to a teenager, watching his father die slowly was painful. and joey kramer and every single band member in aerosmith will be remembered maybe more than twenty years from now. (joey kramer keep doing what you do and...more
Jeremiah Sain
Definitely not your typical rock n' roll memoir. Joey's story focuses much more on his own personal demons and shortcomings through his life and how he has struggled to come to terms with himself and his relationships.

I'm a huge Aerosmith fan, but like I said, this book doesn't focus much on the band's notorious exploits. For that, you should try their autobiography, Walk This Way, which is a fantastic read. Joey's openness & honesty is refreshing and I learned a lot about myself from readi...more
Brian
I'm a drummer, though not in Joey's league. Aerosmith was certainly on the playlist of my teens, and the author provides plenty of backstory for fans.
What I truly appreciated was Joey's frank look at himself and his bandmates, and the (epic) struggle he undertook to overcome addiction - both drug and personality wise. A powerful story and message, without being the least bit 'preachy'.
Nancy Hinchliff
Pretty well written. It concentrated mostly on Joey's relationships with his family and with Aerosmith, the rock group of which he is still the drummer. He went into detail about his drug and alcohol addictions and his emotional problems. I was engrossed in the book as I am writing a series of articles on aging rockers and am very interested in this particular group among others.
Jen
Well, I LOVE Aerosmith, and LOVED Steven Tyler's book, so I was SURE I'd love this one too, but unfortunately, I haven't been interested enough to even finish it yet. Joey writes a good recounting of his life before Aerosmith and how he got with the band, but its kind of whiney if you ask me. Kind of a pity party there, and it's easy for my mind to wander when reading it.
John Rose
First off I would like to say kudos to HarperCollins for getting this book delivered at my doorstep less than 24 hrs. after my name was drawn in the goodreads giveaway. I found this book to be enjoyable. Joeys honesty about his battle with depression , anxiety & drug addiction is quite moving.
Sara Lane
As much as I love Joey Kramer and Aerosmith (enough to name my daughter Angel because she was born on his birthday). This book was difficult for me to get through. However I was impressed that he was so open about the difficulty of dealing with his parents; his father in particular, and how playing drums was theraputic for him.
David Ward
Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom At the Top by Joey Kramer (Harper One 2009)(780.92). This is a memoir by the drummer for Aerosmith. He means well, but he adds nothing new (or of interest)to the subject. Shallow doesn't begin to sum this one up. My rating: 4/10, finished 9/1/2010.
Luis R.
Not half bad, but more about the emotional journey of his time in Aerosmith rather than an inside look into the making of their records or live show. I'm a little disappointed that he didn't write about some of the later recording sessions in Aerosmith's career. Overall, it's just ok.
Chris
It took to the last two chapters to see that Joey really got his act together. It was interesting to see how Aerosmith lived and the fact that Steven Tyler has quite a few obstacles too. Amazing that people who make soooo much money can let drugs get in their way....
Ginny
As an Aerosmith fan since my teens, I really, really wanted to like this book a lot. Most of it, save for childhood stuff, is rehashed stuff from "Walk this Way." Though there were more details about more recent times. "Walk this Way" was definitely better.
Joey Kramer, drummer for Aerosmith, gives very few details in this account of his life-long struggle with addiction and depression. If you're looking for "backstage" insight into the world of 70's rock, skip this superficial biography.
Travis Coverston
Really enjoyed this audio book about the Aerosmith drummer. Gives great detail and emotion about what he went through in the band and battles he faced with drugs and rehab. A few chapters were slow, but life isn't 100% fast paced either.
Fenixbird SandS
Jul 09, 2011 Fenixbird SandS rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Addicted, recovered, artists, rock lovers
Recommended to Fenixbird by: Changing Hands Bookstore
May I recommend a link to a friend's review of this performer & his eye-opening book at http://www.boomerocity.com/hithard.html ? Also a link to Mr. Kramer's fan pages http://www.joeykramer.com/index.cfm/p...
Sandi
Not your usual rocker's recovery memoir. Kramer recounts his breakdown and depression that stemmed from the various abusive relationships he was involved in, first with his father and then Steven Tyler.
Kokolani Missett
Hmmmm! Interesting but I've read better... It got a little boring when he went in to so much detail about drum playing and drummers. If you're not into drummers, the last 1/4 of the book is a snooze...
Tyler Brockman
i think this book is really good seems how that this is his life story .it is very volger and shows that people can change their bad habits. this guy has put him self though hell and back to make himself.
Dave Williams
This book was an easy read. There were a few good stories. No revelations or surprises. If you are an Aerosmith fan, check it out. If you aren't skip it. There really isn't anything memorable here.
Joey Kramer has been rocking with Aerosmith since the band began in 1970. Kramer and his partners have sold over 150 million albums, and today their multigenerational global audience is bigger than ever. In addition to the Grammys and the twenty-one multi-platinum albums, Aerosmith was inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 2001. The band has been the subject of several documentaries, inclu...more
More about Joey Kramer...
Hit Hard Hit Hard Hit Hard Hit Hard Untl Kramer/Aerosmith Book LP