Start by marking “Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)

Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
History meets mystery with a new twist in this raucous, colorful debut novel set in the bustling theatrical world of Shakespeare and Marlowe during the reign of the formidable Elizabeth I. Fast-paced and sprightly, it takes Nick Revill, a young actor in the newly established Chamberlain's Men company at the Globe Theatre in Southwark, to a luxuriously appointed Thameside m ...more
Published July 26th 2000 by Carroll & Graf

To ask other readers questions about Sleep of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep of Death

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardAngels And Ministers Of Grace by Michelle O'LearyThe Gods Themselves by Isaac AsimovThe Mousetrap and Other Plays by Agatha ChristieAnd Be a Villain by Rex Stout
Titles Based on Lines from HAMLET
37th out of 90 books — 19 voters
Rip Van Winkle by Washington IrvingSleeping Murder by Agatha ChristieThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Odyssey by HomerPolitically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner
Zeds 'n' beds
97th out of 139 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
A Shakespearean murder mystery. The story is set at the time of Shakespeare in London. Sir Thomas Eliot was asleep in his hammock in his private walled orchard, a sleep from which he wouldn't wake as his killer poured a poison into the ear of the recumbent form. A murder resembling the murder of Hamlet's father in Master Shakespeare's play. Our protagonist is a player, acting with the Chamberlain's men....actors now have the wonderful Globe Theatre in which to perform "We are no longer a bunch o ...more
Paula
I'm a sucker for historical crime fiction and always like the chance to get hold of the first novel of any new (or new-to-me, at least) series. I'd heard about this series but hadn't been able to get my mitts on 'Sleep of Death' till very recently, although it was first published in 2000.

If the title didn't give it away, 'Sleep of Death' is yet another Elizabethan period mystery, this time set in Shakespeare's own troupe of players - our protagonist, Nick Revill, is a would-be thespian who's man
LJ
SLEEP OF DEATH (16th Century Mystery) – VG
PhillipGooden – 1st of series
Carroll & Graf, 2000 – tradepaper
During the reign of Elizabeth I, actor Nick Revill, joins the Chamberlain’s Men, the acting company of Richard Burbage and author William Shakespeare. When he unmasks a thief, he is asked to investigate the death of a young man’s father whose mother then marries his uncle.
*** There are scenes of great good humor, early investigative techniques, some suspense—could Shakespeare be the killer
John Lee
My first by this author and it was chosen after reading a review of a later novel.
Enjoyable read, certainly enhanced by knowing Hamlet. I wonder if I shall have to read unfamiliar Shakespeare titles before tackling others in the series.
This is another 3.5 which I will mark down to 3, on balance, but suffice it to say that I have every hope for the series and have the next two awaiting my attention.
Cece
The first in a new-to-me series set in Shakespeare's London. Our hero is a "player" in the company resident at the Globe theater. To be honest, the "historical" part is just a surface thing-this whole plot could have been transported to other periods in history or even to contemporary times with minor tweakings-but his wordcraft is pleasing and the characters have some depth to them. I will read more.
Elizabeth Desole
A fun mystery read that takes place in Shakespeare's time (he is one of the characters). The protagonist is a player at the Globe and falls into solving a mystery. The historical detail is a bit slim, but there. The solution is a bit from left field. The premise of Hamlet being woven into the story was entertaining though.
Vivienne

The pretext of this series of historical murder mysteries is that each one centres around on of Shakespeare's plays. In this case as the title suggests it is 'Hamlet'.

I found this an easy, enjoyable read; full of period detail with a very engaging central character in aspiring young actor, Nick Revill.
Jo
Nick Revill is a player at the Globe who finds himself investigating the death of the father of a young man in the audience. And so there follows a bawdy romp through Shakespeare's London with a plot mirroring the play of Hamlet. It's fun and easy to read but not as gripping as I expected.
Pat
I don't ususally consider myself a prude, BUT this author dropped the "F" bomb 16 times in the first 30 pages, followed by a trip to a whore house. I don't need this. There are too many good, well written books out there. I will not waste my time finishing this one.
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Rick Webb
Rick Webb marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Sarah added it
Oct 12, 2014
Viktoria Bespalko
Viktoria Bespalko marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
John Mannion
John Mannion marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Pauline Montagna
Pauline Montagna marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jun 30, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Samu
Samu added it
Jun 25, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Diana Morgan
Diana Morgan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Philip Gooden lives in Bath. In addition to his Nick Revill series, Sleep of Death, he is the author of The Guinness Guide to Better English and the editor of The Mammoth Book of Literary Anecdotes. Each of his Nick Revill mysteries revolves around a Shakespearean play mirroring life - in Sleep of Death the play was Hamlet, in this offering it is Troilus and Cressida.
AKA Philippa Morgan.

Series:
* S
More about Philip Gooden...
The Story of English: How the English Language Conquered the World The Salisbury Manuscripts (Tom Ansell, #1) The Durham Deception (Tom Ansell, #2) Death of Kings (Shakespearean Murder, #2) Mask of Night (Shakespearean Murder, #5)