Start by marking “Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)

Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder #1)

History meets mystery with a new twist in this raucous, colorful debut novel set in the bustling theatrical world of Shakespeare and Marlowe during the reign of the formidable Elizabeth I. Fast-paced and sprightly, it takes Nick Revill, a young actor in the newly established Chamberlain's Men company at the Globe Theatre in Southwark, to a luxuriously appointed Thameside m ...more
Published July 31st 2000 by Carroll & Graf (first published July 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep of Death

Jim
Apr 01, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
A Shakespearean murder mystery. The story is set at the time of Shakespeare in London. Sir Thomas Eliot was asleep in his hammock in his private walled orchard, a sleep from which he wouldn't wake as his killer poured a poison into the ear of the recumbent form. A murder resembling the murder of Hamlet's father in Master Shakespeare's play. Our protagonist is a player, acting with the Chamberlain's men....actors now have the wonderful Globe Theatre in which to perform "We are no longer a bunch o ...more
Paula
Sep 26, 2010 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, series, historical
I'm a sucker for historical crime fiction and always like the chance to get hold of the first novel of any new (or new-to-me, at least) series. I'd heard about this series but hadn't been able to get my mitts on 'Sleep of Death' till very recently, although it was first published in 2000.

If the title didn't give it away, 'Sleep of Death' is yet another Elizabethan period mystery, this time set in Shakespeare's own troupe of players - our protagonist, Nick Revill, is a would-be thespian who's man
LJ
SLEEP OF DEATH (16th Century Mystery) – VG
PhillipGooden – 1st of series
Carroll & Graf, 2000 – tradepaper
During the reign of Elizabeth I, actor Nick Revill, joins the Chamberlain’s Men, the acting company of Richard Burbage and author William Shakespeare. When he unmasks a thief, he is asked to investigate the death of a young man’s father whose mother then marries his uncle.
*** There are scenes of great good humor, early investigative techniques, some suspense—could Shakespeare be the killer
Fred Rauch
Apr 13, 2015 Fred Rauch rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that there is mild swearing (on three pages) and the main character is involved with Nell, a whore, this is a good book. The plot line is believable and the killer's identity has fooled everyone, including Nick Revill, the main character. There are funny parts. When Revill is trying to explain Hamlet to Nell while in bed with her and all the "activity" involved is funny because she clearly does not understand nor does she really care. William Shakespeare (Master WS) appears beca ...more
Cece
Jun 14, 2009 Cece rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The first in a new-to-me series set in Shakespeare's London. Our hero is a "player" in the company resident at the Globe theater. To be honest, the "historical" part is just a surface thing-this whole plot could have been transported to other periods in history or even to contemporary times with minor tweakings-but his wordcraft is pleasing and the characters have some depth to them. I will read more.
John Lee
Oct 23, 2011 John Lee rated it liked it
My first by this author and it was chosen after reading a review of a later novel.
Enjoyable read, certainly enhanced by knowing Hamlet. I wonder if I shall have to read unfamiliar Shakespeare titles before tackling others in the series.
This is another 3.5 which I will mark down to 3, on balance, but suffice it to say that I have every hope for the series and have the next two awaiting my attention.
Elizabeth Desole
Aug 11, 2012 Elizabeth Desole rated it liked it
A fun mystery read that takes place in Shakespeare's time (he is one of the characters). The protagonist is a player at the Globe and falls into solving a mystery. The historical detail is a bit slim, but there. The solution is a bit from left field. The premise of Hamlet being woven into the story was entertaining though.
Vivienne
Feb 25, 2011 Vivienne rated it really liked it

The pretext of this series of historical murder mysteries is that each one centres around on of Shakespeare's plays. In this case as the title suggests it is 'Hamlet'.

I found this an easy, enjoyable read; full of period detail with a very engaging central character in aspiring young actor, Nick Revill.
Pat
Sep 30, 2013 Pat rated it did not like it
I don't ususally consider myself a prude, BUT this author dropped the "F" bomb 16 times in the first 30 pages, followed by a trip to a whore house. I don't need this. There are too many good, well written books out there. I will not waste my time finishing this one.
Jo
Nick Revill is a player at the Globe who finds himself investigating the death of the father of a young man in the audience. And so there follows a bawdy romp through Shakespeare's London with a plot mirroring the play of Hamlet. It's fun and easy to read but not as gripping as I expected.
Mags Delaney
Feb 24, 2016 Mags Delaney rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I enjoyed this book - bringing together two of my favourite things Shakespeare and Crime Thrillers! It was a refreshing read I look forward to the next one.
Beth
Jan 13, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Interesting historical mystery with a story that parallels Hamlet with Shakespeare in a minor role. The plot kept me guessing and I thought it well researched and written.
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Hasini Walpola
Hasini Walpola rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Karyn The Pirate
Karyn The Pirate rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2009
Ken Cook
Ken Cook rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Elisa Rice
Elisa Rice rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2016
Ira Garcia
Ira Garcia rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Laura/Soly
Laura/Soly rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Mike Kraus
Mike Kraus rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2011
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2011
Tom Salyers
Tom Salyers rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2012
Sheila A.
Sheila A. rated it liked it
May 19, 2011
Pedro
Pedro rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Redsteve
Redsteve rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2010
Cheryl Loman
Cheryl Loman rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Queen's Head
  • Interrupted Aria (Tito Amato, #1)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • The Tomb of Zeus (Laetitia Talbot, #1)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Critique of Criminal Reason (Hanno Stiffeniis, #1)
  • Firedrake's Eye (David Becket and Simon Ames, #1)
  • A Conspiracy of Violence (Thomas Chaloner, #1)
  • Gold Digger (A Klondike Mystery #1)
  • The Sweet Smell of Decay
  • Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella, #1)
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • I, Claudia (Claudia Seferius, #1)
  • City of Silver: A Mystery
  • Death in the Dark Walk (John Rawlings, #1)
Philip Gooden lives in Bath. In addition to his Nick Revill series, Sleep of Death, he is the author of The Guinness Guide to Better English and the editor of The Mammoth Book of Literary Anecdotes. Each of his Nick Revill mysteries revolves around a Shakespearean play mirroring life - in Sleep of Death the play was Hamlet, in this offering it is Troilus and Cressida.
AKA Philippa Morgan.

Series:
* S
More about Philip Gooden...

Shakespearean Murder (6 books)
  • Death of Kings (Shakespearean Murder, #2)
  • The Pale Companion (Shakespearean Murder, #3)
  • Alms for Oblivion (Shakespearean Murder, #4)
  • Mask of Night (Shakespearean Murder, #5)
  • An Honorable Murderer (Shakespearean Murder, #6)