Start by marking “Drive Like Hell: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Drive Like Hell: A Novel

Drive Like Hell: A Novel

Luke Fulmer belongs behind the wheel of a car. Taught to drive at the age of ten by his father, Luke can do more damage with a stick and a clutch than most men can do with a bottle of whiskey and a lousy mood. He counts down the days to his sixteenth birthday when he can finally get his license. Unfortunately, the first thing he does with it is "borrow" his neighbor's car. ...more
Published February 8th 2005 by Scribner (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Drive Like Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drive Like Hell

Amanda
May 23, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: blog
Luke's lust for driving was inspired by late night rides in his father's '66 Chevelle Super Sport. During the wee A.M. hours somewhere on the backroads of a small town in Georgia, his father, Lyndell, would take his then 10 year old son along as he drank, smoked, engaged in some light B & E, imparted questionable nuggets of wisdom about life and women, and taught him to drive like hell. At 16 years old, Luke Fulmer now has only one thing on his mind: getting his driver's license so he can be ...more
H R Koelling
Jan 13, 2011 H R Koelling rated it it was ok
I thought this was a pretty sleepy book. I was sucked in by the blurbs on the cover pronouncing it, "hilarious," "the funniest book," and "comedy." It didn't live up to any of these descriptions. The title is pretty catchy, too, but ultimately VERY misleading.

OK, it's a "nice" book, but not something I'd recommend you take the time to read if you have several other novels waiting to be read. Despite the fact that this book has a car on the cover and the synopsis of the book on the inside flap p
Bryant
Nov 24, 2014 Bryant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One hell of a read. Hudgens has crafted the only kind of coming-of-age story I can tolerate: ruthless, wild and never too self-serious. The plot is manic, the cast infectious, the prose loose and spare but razor sharp with the detail. All the boring parts are skipped. I laughed, I cried, I couldn't stop reading. Hudgens is a true story-teller.
Jamie
Aug 05, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-dirty-south
What’s not to like? Stockcar racing and rock n’ roll and bootlegging and burgers at the Varsity. Georgia, I love you.
Curtis
Oct 19, 2012 Curtis rated it it was amazing
Drive like Hell was and is an amazing story. It is intense as well as romantic and inspiring. It is about a young boy named Luke Fulmer. He goes thorugh a very hard time but gets through it and comes out with a girlfriend and a life plan. Luke Fulmer is a young boy who lives in the southern part of the US. He has a brother named Nick. His brother sells pot and is in a band with his crazed girlfriend and his hilarious best friend. One day, when Luke's mother is robbed of her telivision set by her ...more
Heather
Oct 19, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. Fully a guy's book. Read it since I know the author's wife, plus it had been on my TBR pile for a few years. Interesting story, decently written. Full of small town, drug taking, drug dealing, teens behaving badly because it's all they know, lots of vulgar language. Definitely explains how one can end up drug dealing, profane, skipping school, etc. Would only recommend to a few select people. But, it was good for what it was.
Sandi
Feb 10, 2013 Sandi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, read-2013
I thought this was a very good debut novel. Set in small town Georgia during the late seventies the story line follows young Luke Fulmer through the six months he must endure after getting his driver's license suspended. The first person narration was very engaging since Luke is smarter and more articulate than your usual pot smoking, aimless teen and his struggles to try and keep on the straight and narrow despite his family situation kept me turning the pages.
Peter
Sep 12, 2007 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this as part of the Fountain Bookstore bookgroup. Author appearing at Fountain mid September...

Just finished. Really enjoyed his depiction of life in the rural south. It meshed with my experiences of rural Minnesota in my teens. If you like car culture, or rural culture, you'll probably like this book. (Or outlaw culture: NASCAR, moonshine, Dukes of Hazzard, etc) Also strong themes of old country music.
Jeffrey
Dec 31, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. There are some great lines in here (none that I can really repeat here, as there may be young ones ready this...doubtfull, but could be.)

The ending was a little abrupt, and didn't really close it up well, but it was good.

Did make me want to slap some of the characters in the back of the head for being so stupid sometimes.
Jules Hucke
Jun 19, 2014 Jules Hucke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Drive Like Hell is funny as hell. I laughed aloud so many times the people riding the bus with me gave me weird looks. Great balance of subtle depth and layered humor. Kinda want to sit around stoned watching shitty TV with Luke Fulmer now.
Josh
Mar 19, 2014 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, 2014
I made fun of my friend for having this book on his shelf because it looks like a nascar romance novel from the side, and he told me to read it. I was wrong - it's a decent enough redneck coming of age story. Nothing special, but better than the silly cover would suggest.
Rob
Nov 07, 2011 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guy-books
I could not put this book down. From the first page to the last, I couldn’t believe the twists, turns and fast-paced action. it’s the seventies, man, in all its polyester and hard-rock glory!
Valerie
Jan 08, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
I recommended this to my friend, Shane. I wonder if he ever read it...it's a great "boy" book--the kid is 15-16 and driving, pot, rock n'roll, and loud music is in the air in the 1970's
Nadine
Oct 23, 2008 Nadine rated it really liked it
Funny and touching 6 months in the life of a dysfunctional-but-trying redneck family of 3 living just outside of Atlanta in the 70's.
Jessica Lynn
Jessica Lynn rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Brian Gruidl
Aug 05, 2014 Brian Gruidl rated it really liked it
fun read...not as funny as the reviews had said, but it was an enjoyable light summer read.
Lindon Abarra
Nov 09, 2012 Lindon Abarra rated it really liked it
Ganding 2
Tuesday O'Bryan
Tuesday O'Bryan rated it it was ok
May 09, 2009
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2011
Sarah Humphrey
Sarah Humphrey rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Susan Sigler
Susan Sigler rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Ryan Luetzen
Ryan Luetzen rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Randy
Randy rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2009
Chevvy
Chevvy rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2010
James Miller
James Miller rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Mikel
Mikel rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2011
Christie
Christie rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Guy
Guy rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dallas Hudgens is the author of the short-story collection "Wake Up, We're Here" (Relegation Books, 2012), and the novels “Drive Like Hell” (Scribner, 2005), a Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers Selection, and “Season of Gene” (Scribner, 2007), a Book Sense Notable.
More about Dallas Hudgens...