Start by marking “Parenting Your Anxious Child with Mindfulness and Acceptance: A Powerful New Approach to Overcoming Fear, Panic, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy” as Want to Read:

We live in a chaotic and often unpredictable world, so it's only natural for you and your child to have anxieties. But seeing your child cry, cling to you, or even use aggression to avoid his or her own fears and worries may cause you to worry even more, trapping both of you in a cycle of anxiety and fear.

You can interrupt this cycle with the proven-effective mindfulness a
Published March 3rd 2009 by New Harbinger Publications

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting Your Anxious Child with Mindfulness and Acceptance

Heather
Mar 07, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Lots of really helpful stuff in this book. There's a lot of background material before it gets into the practical stuff. While it wasn't super-exciting, I did find it helpful to set the framework for what was to come. The rest of the book is very practical with lots of exercises and scenarios. I really took away the idea of mindfulness as being aware of what I'm actually doing in the moment. I highlighted a lot of passages that are really just things I need to be thinking to myself in the heat o ...more
Caroline
Oct 27, 2010 Caroline rated it it was amazing
This book takes time to digest, and the most important parts to read over and over. This book helped my anxious child and myself more than anything else has. It is a unique and inspired approach for my child and me. I highly recommend this book, especially if you've tried everything else and nothing seems to help.
Ereksonkate
Aug 23, 2013 Ereksonkate rated it it was amazing
Very Good book for parents with children who experience anxiety which at times can be intense. I liked the author's realistic approach. He effectively described what it is like to be anxious and gave several exercises on how to help the child and parent with anxiety accept and work with it.
Eva Musby
Aug 30, 2012 Eva Musby rated it it was amazing
My interest is in anorexia, and although this book is not aimed and eating disorders, I believe it's an excellent tool for parents seeking to help their child.

I was delighted to find it, as beforehand the only book I wanted to recommend on the subject of mindfulness and acceptance was in French ("La guérison intérieure par l’acceptation et le lâcher-prise" by Canadian writer Colette Portelance). This one is even more relevant because it deals with both the child’s and the parent’s journey throug
Kerry
Aug 29, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I borrowed my copy from the library, but will be purchasing my own copy. It is a nice combination of more theoretical information and practical tips and tricks. In that sense, it's a book you can read more than once and go back to when you need to. Although it focuses on helping anxious children, I can see how the approach outlined in the book could be applied to other undesirable behaviour patterns in children (ie whining). A must read for parents with anxious kids, but a recomm ...more
Kathleen O'Grady
Feb 27, 2014 Kathleen O'Grady rated it really liked it
This is actually quite a good book -- both theoretical and practical -- despite the new-agey title.

McCurry provides insight with depth, clarity and context. But it is his hands-on solutions and exercises, which come at the end of the book, which are the most helpful.

As a parent of a neurotypical child and a child with high functioning autism, I found this book to be helpful for both. It provides solutions beyond issues of anxiety and is a useful guide for parenting generally.

Highly recommend.
Kirsti Call
Aug 18, 2013 Kirsti Call rated it really liked it
This book has practical and concrete advice for parents of anxious children. I felt there was a little too much exposition at the beginning of the book, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm a therapist and I already knew most of what he was talking about or if it was just plain dry. I would highly recommend most of the book though!! This is definitely a new approach, using the wisdom of mindfulness and acceptance.
Theresa Truax-Gischler
I'm adding this to the toilet training section to help with children who develop phobias concerning toileting, withholding problems, or for whom toileting and bathrooms become aversive. Look also on my Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) shelf for a list of additional books on treating anxiety disorders and working with children.
Amber Koppenhofer
Nov 07, 2014 Amber Koppenhofer marked it as to-read
I picked this up because my son has issues with anxiety. I read the first few pages with the intention to complete the book, but my son has been doing better (for now), and I'm currently reading other books. I may revisit this one, if needed, in the future.
Jamie
Jul 22, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
Good book if you don't have any experience with childhood psychology or psychology in general, but I was looking for more of a how-to book. I didn't get much help other than a refresher on how to speak to and deal with children.
Michael Burrows
Nov 05, 2013 Michael Burrows rated it liked it
High level book that you really have to work at to get anything useful. Conceptual. Intellectual? Not very practical.
Jennie
Oct 05, 2014 Jennie rated it it was amazing
First of these child anxiety books to really resonate.
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Samantha
Samantha is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
Nerida
Nerida is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Galina Green
Galina Green marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Karen Furr
Karen Furr marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Arch
Arch rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Fiona O'Neill
Fiona O'Neill rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Peter Sheffield
Peter Sheffield marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Sharon
Sharon is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
NJ
NJ is currently reading it
May 08, 2016
Shanna Kemp
Shanna Kemp rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Maureen
Maureen is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Juanita González
Juanita González marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
MzTonka
MzTonka marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016