Start by marking “Mrs. de Winter” as Want to Read:
Mrs. de Winter

Susan Hill

Mrs. de Winter

2.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,821 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
From the very first moment of Rebecca ("Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again"), readers were immersed in the claustrophobic world of Maxim de Winter, his innocent child bride, and the memory of the malevolent beauty, Rebecca. At the end of Rebecca, Manderley is burning and Maxim and Mrs. de Winter are on their way to the Continent to try to build a quiet, safe lif ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published December 1st 1993 by MacMillan Audio (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. de Winter, please sign up.

Kthegr8
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Deris
Aug 14, 2012 Deris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the original Rebecca do yourself a favor and stay away from this book. Susan Hills kills a good mystery. How dare she destroy such a beloved novel! She does an injustice to the characters and its a bore. She ruins the tale of Maxim and the late Mrs. De Winter. It starts poorly, continues poorly and ends horribly. I wish there could be an invention to erase it from my memory.

It took everything out of me not to tear the book up and set it on fire. But that would mean I would have to p
Maryse
Apr 13, 2007 Maryse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksale-finds
A follow up to Daphne du Maurier's classic, Rebecca. Mrs. de Winters, however, falls short of everything. It just isn't compelling enough to read other than to find out what happens to the de Winters after Rebecca . I can't even remember much of the plot. Plus the characters seem dry and tired, as if all that they want to do is rest and be forgotten.
Caroline
Aug 26, 2012 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
It must take a brave author to do a follow on book to Daphne Du Maurier’s ‘Rebecca’, but this is what Susan Hill has done. I think Rebecca was calling out for a sequel though – when I read the book I kept looking for more pages to read, the ending was so underwhelming.

The good points of Susan Hill’s book for me were:

• She was brilliantly able to emulate Du Maurier’s sensuous and sensitive descriptions of people, countryside and houses.....and this was a joy.
• Similarly, she was able to continue
Dawn Michelle
Mar 13, 2008 Dawn Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

As if Rebecca wasn't bad enough, we had to have someone come along and write a sequel that was equally bad, if not worse in some parts. Even my mother who loved Rebecca disliked this. Blech.
Ignacio Senao f
Continúa donde acabo Rebeca. Alargando innecesariamente la historia. Tiene poco interés lo que sucede, tan solo recrearse de los paisajes y viajes narrados en primera persona. Hill escribe bien, te mete en su mundo casi físicamente. Pero peco en la poca originalidad de sus historias. No se puede ser perfecta.
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Sequels are difficult at the best of times, but when another author takes the responsibility of taking one on, it's going to be a real challenge. I have read mixed reviews on Susan Hill's handling of Mrs De Winter, the follow up to the very successful "Rebecca", but I have to come down on the side of the people who liked it. I thought she did a very good job and I felt I could have been reading a book written by Daphne du Maurier, as Ms. Hill kept very much to the same writing style and general ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 08, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book

I was looking in the library for a Daphne du Maurier book to take on holiday to Fowey, as that's her home town and I remembered from a previous visit that I'd probably be overcome with the urge to read her work while I was there and thought I'd go prepared. None of the du Mauriers in the library appealed to me but I spotted this instead and decided it would fit the bill nicely. It's a sequel to du Maurier's most famous book Rebecca.

This book is narrated again by Maxim de Winter's second wife who

Marlene
Aug 04, 2011 Marlene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Hill is a talented writer (I highly recommend her "The Woman in Black"), she does good work evoking DuMaurier's style, and the ending is, perhaps, inevitable. But the book bogged down by the middle, and I skimmed the last 75 pages, because the characters were just tiresome. Although the sequel starts 10 years after "Rebecca" and the destruction of Manderley, the "second Mrs. DeWinter" (still unnamed) doesn't appear to have matured so much as a day. While it's often pointed out that she's b ...more
Shahr Baran
Sep 01, 2014 Shahr Baran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
دیشب در عالم رویا دیدم که دوباره به ماندرلی پا نهاده ام .این نخستین جمله ربه کا اثر دوموریه شاید بسیار معروف باشد وفریبنده تر از اغاز پایان ربه کاست ((مهتاب نبود //اسمان بالای سرمان را ظلمت فرا گرفته بود ..اما اسمان بالای افق تا ریک نبود مانند فوران خون سرخ فام مینومد وخاکستر ها با باد نمکی دریا به سوی ما میوزیدند ))پس از ان حادثه هولناک در ماندرلی چه شد ؟چه بر سر ماکسدووینتر وهمسر دومش امد ؟بر سر خانوم دانورس وجک فیول چه امد ...سوزان هیل به همه این سوالها در این کتاب پاسخ داده است ..اما درباره ...more
Ann
Sep 06, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this right after rereading Rebecca. It made me focus on aspects of du Maurier's novel to which I'd been somewhat oblivious. What does go through your head if you are married to a man who confesses to you that he killed his first wife? What sort of future could the couple have, given Maxim's guilt, and his wife's limitations. When I read Rebecca for the first time, I was perhaps 15, and completely identified with the gauche young girl attracted to the glamorous older man. From my current p ...more
Kathy
Nov 21, 2008 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, and wished there was a sequel. So when I learned one had been written, I picked it up. It was not only nothing like what a sequel to Rebecca SHOULD have been, it was horrible writing, and the horrid unreadable font in the copy I had was so bad I couldn't even concentrate on the story. This should never have been written.
Janebbooks

A timid sequel to Daphne Du Maurier's gothic romantic thriller REBECCA...

On October 9, 1993, Natasha Walter of the Independent newspaper wrote a review of Susan Hill's MRS. deWINTER, a just-published sequel to Daphne DuMaurier's gothic romantic thriller REBECCA (1938). Walter called her review "Dreaming of Manderley again" and said loudly and clearly that she found Hill's novel "timid"...for much like second wives, sequels often do little to endear themselves to friends or fans of the original.
Caitlin
Sep 26, 2009 Caitlin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I read this just after having re-read Rebecca. In this sequel, Susan Hill Long imagines the time after Rebecca. Maxim & wife have been traveling, there's been a world war, & the de Winters have returned to England. This is the story of what happens next for them.

Ms. Hill writes very well & definitely captures the general flavor of Du Maurier's writing, but she's not Daphne DuMaurier - not that I expected her to be. The language & the story here are sufficiently nuanced & the
Maria Birnell
May 10, 2010 Maria Birnell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some authors take great books written by other authors and make worthwhile sequels - sadly that was not the case here. I hate this book as much as I love Rebecca. This was utterly disappointing, way too long and really rather boring in many places. It lacked all of the intrigue of the original and often took the cheapest way out of situations imaginable. It was also as depressing as hell but not in an interesting or beautifully tragic way, just in an oh my god are you freaking serious that is wh ...more
Sharon
I can't say that I enjoyed this "sequel" to "Rebecca." I'm not a fan of gothic literature, and a sequel of a well-known novel did not have a lot of promise to begin with. How long do you have to live before you realize that keeping secrets is A BAD IDEA? And the 36-year-old narrator's insistence that she must protect her much older husband from his past was more irritating and irrational each time she repeated it. And were they really so self-absorbed that they sat out the entirety of WWII? And ...more
Beth
Aug 28, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to Daphne du Maurier's novel (1938) Rebecca. Hill picks up the story of the unnamed narrator and her husband, Maxim de Winter, ten years after Manderly burns to the ground. After the death of Maxim’s sister the narrator and her husband move to England, but are pursued by ghosts (figurative and literal) from their past. The book is beautifully written (Hill is a Whitbread winner and a finalist for the Booker Prize) but intrinsically flawed because the narrator (the same unnamed n ...more
Melanie
Feb 28, 2009 Melanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book, as I had loved "Rebecca" so much, but I was quite disappointed. It seemed to drag on, and was quite slow through the majority of the book. The ending got exciting, but only to finish the story off on a low note. I do not recommend....especially to those who enjoyed "Rebecca." I suggest you keep whatever happy ending you envisioned for Maxim and Mrs. De Winter, and NOT read this book!
Ells
I love Rebecca! Was wary to read a sequel written by another author. But I had a week's vacation and wanted something English! So I read it--what a horrid, punch line, totally unsatisfying ending! Susan Hill you should be ashamed--as well as those who gave this book good reviews! I never vent like this but really!!!
Ahmad Sharabiani
MRs. de winter, Susan Hill (1947)
عنوان: «خانم دو وینتر: ادامه «ربه کا» شاهکار دافنه دو موریه»؛ اثر: سوزان هیل؛ مترجم: پروانه ستاری؛ ویراستار: هوشیار انصاری فر؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، البرز، 1372، در 388 ص؛ عنوان دیگر ربه کا؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
*L!SSA*
Mar 02, 2009 *L!SSA* rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely terrible. The beginning draged, and it never sped up. I thought Rebecca was slow, but this is even worse. I do not recommend this book to anyone. Don't make the same mistake I did of reading it.
Mary
Mar 11, 2016 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you follow Rebecca?

Susan Hill writes a good ghost story.
I was curious as to how she would do this.
Not perhaps the ending I had expected but very well written.
My love is still Rebecca which must be due for a re-read!
Danae
Dec 28, 2009 Danae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book that cemented my low opinion of the sequel-by-another-author. "Rebecca" is an awesome book. This has nothing of the chill, only sappiness and sentimentality. Don't bother with this one.
Lora
Feb 25, 2017 Lora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at a rummage sale and if I had known it got less than 3 stars I never would have read it. But I had loved reading Daphne DuMaurier's "Rebecca" in junior high, and this was the sequel to it, so I just started reading. I soon discovered that it required refreshing my memory of "Rebecca" by reading a summary of the plot on Wikipedia.

Unfortunately, this book took me months to plod through. This was partly due to time contraints but mostly because the story progressed so slowly th
Serena Miles
Mar 24, 2017 Serena Miles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandonado
libro abandonado porque me resulto una porqueria de continuacion, se nota que no es la autora de Rebeca
Mary
Mar 03, 2017 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has been many years since I read the original "Rebecca" and this novel did not entice me like du Maurier's original. More then anything because my frame of mind has changed since my teen years.
Hannah
Far from a badly written book, just not what you would expect from something with 'Gothic' & 'ghost' plastered over it, as it is more of a psychological haunting. It's a bit Gothic, but suffers from a bit of a pacing problem towards the middle where nothing mysterious seems to happen. A bit of a frustrating read at times, but I did think that the relationship between the two characters was well written.
Catherine
Jan 01, 2010 Catherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
This was a re-read for me. I own, or I used to own anyway, a copy. Rebecca is one of my all-time favorite books, and given the recent trend of writing sequels or re-telling classic novels, I wanted to read one of the first books I remember that did that (the other being Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley).

I re-read this book directly after re-reading Rebecca. At first, the style seemed very similar, but gradually it seemed to get further and further away from DuMaurier's voice.

Hill re-introduces the
mediumlysocial
Hmm. Hmm. Hmmmmm.

Well, first off, I found it a plausible sequel, the de Winters having spent life post Manderly hiding away from England, returning for the funeral of Maxim's sister Beatrice. Of course, once they set foot in England, it doesn't take long for the ghost of Rebecca to rise again and before you know it, Maxim is doing an expression of a stiff upper-lipped bitter lemon, and the 2nd Mrs de Winter is back to her Joan Fontaine nail-biting self.

I actually quite liked that, the fact that
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2017 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This did not add anything to the story of Maxim and the second Mrs de Winter. Susan Hill did well to write in the style of Daphne du Maurier but the storyline was unappealing and I did not like the ending.
Elizabeth Elwood
I first read Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca when I was fifteen, and loved it. Therefore, I was looking forward to reading Susan Hill’s Mrs. De Winter. When I began reading, the first thing that struck me was that the writing style made me think of Virginia Woolf—all those meandering thoughts strung together with commas. My recollection was that the heroine of Rebecca delivered her stream of consciousness more tersely. Still, once I got used to the style, I did become deeply absorbed in the story an ...more
A new mystery gen...: The two houses that haunt the second Mrs. DeWinter 2 35 May 23, 2013 11:09AM
  • Rebecca's Tale
  • Masterpieces of Murder
  • Clermont
  • The Rendezvous and Other Stories
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Riley (Season 8, One Shot)
  • The Somnambulist
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow (Season 8, One Shot)
  • Tony Hillerman: The Leaphorn & Chee Novels : Skinwalkers, A Thief of Time, Coyote Waits
  • Daphne
  • The Moonflower
  • The Cambridge Companion to Gothic Fiction
Susan Hill was born in Scarborough, North Yorkshire in 1942. Her hometown was later referred to in her novel A Change for the Better (1969) and some short stories especially "Cockles and Mussels".

She attended Scarborough Convent School, where she became interested in theatre and literature. Her family left Scarborough in 1958 and moved to Coventry where her father worked in car and aircraft factor
More about Susan Hill...