Linnea's Windowsill Garden

Linnea's Windowsill Garden

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Linnea loves plants. She grows them all over her room - in pots, and crates, even in glass jars.
In this book, she takes you on a tour of her indoor garden. She tells you about her orange tree (and plantable pits and seeds, including melons, tomatoes, and grapes); she shows you how to take a cutting from a Busy Lizzie and how to trim an avocado plant.
And she teaches you w...more
Published October 1st 1988 by R & S Books (first published 1978)

Miss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertWeslandia by Paul Fleischman
Picture Books About Gardens
64th out of 167 books — 76 voters
Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckTiger's Quest by Colleen HouckInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanLast Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
Wishlist
66th out of 133 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

April Rudolph
Thought it was interesting that this book suggests to put a cigarette butt on top of the soil to kill worms that are underneath because the nicotine is poisonous...
Shakita
I really liked this book. This is a great resource for plant lovers. Children can use this book as well adults. There are so many different projects you could do from this one book. One can learn about the different types of seeds you can plant, how to get rid of bugs, and what plants need to survive. I really liked the book because it had so much helpful information inside in kid-friendly manner. I would definitely have this in the classroom as a resource to use.
Jenna Morales
Grade range for this project: 1-2
Good read-aloud? no
Focus for this project: Science curriculum - gardening/growing
Curricular tie-ins for this project: basic requirements for life; life cycles of plants; seasons
Service Learning Coordinator
Grade range for this project: 1-2
Good read-aloud? no
Focus for this project: Science curriculum - gardening/growing
Mia Obiwo
Great book. In the story Linnea teaches you what keeps planta satisfied. She grows plants everywhere. The story discusses what Linnea does everyday to keep the plants alive. Good for 1st grade.
Sally
635 BJO

Sweetly illustrated book about windowsill gardening, with doable projects, simple explanations of basic plant biology, and helpful "green thumb" tips throughout.
Ginger
I've been reading and re-reading children's books lately. I'd forgotten this old friend. It's a delightful book that anyone who has anything to do with children should read.
Andrew
Jul 03, 2013 Andrew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
We're into growing things this year. Like the Kids Garden! book, you liked looking at the pictures and telling me which experiments we should do.
Rachel
I loved this cute non-fiction children's book. It is charming and inspires me to try gardening. Out of print - bought through half.com.
Amron
Perfect idea book for apartment gardening. Swedish pub.
Nicole
well written and great read aloud for Sweet Pea.
Niloofar
Niloofar marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Emma Andromacy
Emma Andromacy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Liana Svoura
Liana Svoura marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
"I was born in 1938 in Stockholm, Sweden, and I have been living there ever since. I love this city, built on some small islands between lake Mälaren and the sea. It’s a city with lots of water and trees and a lot of nature all around it.
I lived and went to school at the island Kungsholmen, just like my good friend and illustrator Lena Anderson. But our school was so big that we never met. I was t...more
More about Christina Björk...
Linnea in Monet's Garden The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland Linnea's Almanac Vendela in Venice Tove Jansson: Mycket mer än Mumin