Start by marking “My Little Round House” as Want to Read:
My Little Round House

My Little Round House

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this delightful picture book, baby Jilu recounts his first year of life in a nomadic Mongolian community. He remembers being cradled by his singing mother, the delicious smells from the cooking pot, his first meeting with his grandparents, and the family’s wandering life with a camel caravan. They celebrate Tsagaan Sar, the new year, and later revel in the warmth and fr ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Groundwood Books (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Little Round House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Little Round House

Kathryn
This is a wonderful glimpse into Mongolian nomadic culture and is worthy of a read just for that since, honestly, I can't think of any other children's picture books available in the US on that subject by a Mongolian author! It's also a beautifully told story with fascinating illustration. Honestly, the style of illustrations was not really my cup of tea, but I certainly appreciate them. Also, our narrator was very unusual in that he narrates the tale from birth (literally, his mother's womb is ...more
Karen Witzler
Beautiful illustrations with jewel-tone colors. This would be a good picture book for ages 2-5- looking for shapes, animals , and a move through the Mongolian seasons would be engaging, but the text was missing that special quality of rhythm and allure essential to great children's books. The Mongolian author/illustrator's original may have been lost in translation. Still, a lovely picture book view of traditional Mongolia.
Dolly
May 31, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2014, childrens, mongolia
With vibrant colors and gorgeous details, this is a fascinating story about the first year of a baby boy's life with his nomadic family in Mongolia. The narrative is fairly short and the book provides only a glimpse into the family's life. But it is a wonderful introduction to a culture that is very different from our own. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Robin
How many picture books about Mongolia are there? I can't think of any. About life there -- not a folk tale. The story of a little boy (Jilu's)'s first year of life in a nomadic family; as the seasons change, they pack up, travel on camels, and rebuild their ger in different locations (love the picture of them setting up the structure). There's the warmth of a grandmother in addition to parents, and caring for lambs, and playing with friends. Nice language as well (gentle, sounds like a child nar ...more
Bethany
Baby Jilu recounts his first year of life in a nomadic Mongolian family. From summer to autumn, autumn to winter, winter to spring, and spring to summer, we follow his family as they move between their pasture lands. The cycle of the year effectively encapsulates Jilu's experience of his family and their way of life. The sytlized illustrations are richly colored and filled with detailed clues to home life for this Mongolian family.

I can't say whether or not this was a good adaptation of the orig
Kris
Interesting to see how a nomadic Mongolian family spends the year. There wasn't a lot of information - what do they eat all year? - but it gave a nice view of a life most of us aren't familiar with. Could've done without the beginning of the child starting life in the womb (depicted with a big, red circle.)
Jenny
Told from the POV of a baby...about the little round houses she lives in from before birth to one year old...about the seasonal moves her family makes and their little round ger. This book was published in Mongolia and then translated into English.
Lindsi
This book is portrayed in Japan and the first year of Jilu and the lifestyle there in a Mongolian community. Great book for kids who are interested in getting to know anothers way of life and celebrations. I enjoyed it!
Karen Arendt
Lovely illustrations with such detail. I cannot begin to imagine a nomadic lifestyle, but this story demonstrates how a family does just that, with a newborn as the narrator.
Gail
Feb 01, 2010 Gail rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christina Smith Gajadhar, Tracy Maguire
Shelves: children-s-books
I must buy this wonderful book.
Aspasia
Aspasia marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Fourteen
Fourteen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Kerry
Kerry added it
May 31, 2014
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Elphane Johnson
Elphane Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Alice
Alice added it
Feb 07, 2013
Raj
Raj marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013