Start by marking “My Little Round House” as Want to Read:
My Little Round House

My Little Round House

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In this delightful picture book, baby Jilu recounts his first year of life in a nomadic Mongolian community. He remembers being cradled by his singing mother, the delicious smells from the cooking pot, his first meeting with his grandparents, and the family’s wandering life with a camel caravan. They celebrate Tsagaan Sar, the new year, and later revel in the warmth and fr ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Groundwood Books (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Little Round House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Little Round House

Kathryn
May 05, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful glimpse into Mongolian nomadic culture and is worthy of a read just for that since, honestly, I can't think of any other children's picture books available in the US on that subject by a Mongolian author! It's also a beautifully told story with fascinating illustration. Honestly, the style of illustrations was not really my cup of tea, but I certainly appreciate them. Also, our narrator was very unusual in that he narrates the tale from birth (literally, his mother's womb is ...more
Karen Witzler
Nov 27, 2011 Karen Witzler rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautiful illustrations with jewel-tone colors. This would be a good picture book for ages 2-5- looking for shapes, animals , and a move through the Mongolian seasons would be engaging, but the text was missing that special quality of rhythm and allure essential to great children's books. The Mongolian author/illustrator's original may have been lost in translation. Still, a lovely picture book view of traditional Mongolia.
Bethany
Sep 11, 2010 Bethany rated it really liked it
Baby Jilu recounts his first year of life in a nomadic Mongolian family. From summer to autumn, autumn to winter, winter to spring, and spring to summer, we follow his family as they move between their pasture lands. The cycle of the year effectively encapsulates Jilu's experience of his family and their way of life. The sytlized illustrations are richly colored and filled with detailed clues to home life for this Mongolian family.

I can't say whether or not this was a good adaptation of the orig
Dolly
May 31, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, mongolia, 2014
With vibrant colors and gorgeous details, this is a fascinating story about the first year of a baby boy's life with his nomadic family in Mongolia. The narrative is fairly short and the book provides only a glimpse into the family's life. But it is a wonderful introduction to a culture that is very different from our own. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Robin
Feb 02, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
How many picture books about Mongolia are there? I can't think of any. About life there -- not a folk tale. The story of a little boy (Jilu's)'s first year of life in a nomadic family; as the seasons change, they pack up, travel on camels, and rebuild their ger in different locations (love the picture of them setting up the structure). There's the warmth of a grandmother in addition to parents, and caring for lambs, and playing with friends. Nice language as well (gentle, sounds like a child nar ...more
Catherine
May 03, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
My Little Round House displays incredibly detailed illustrations recounting the story of Jilu, who was born into a nomadic Mongolian family. The main character, Jilu, describes an enriching account of what culture and life was like for a nomadic family traveling and adjusting through the various seasons. I would recommend this multicultural book for all children ages ranging from 4-7 who are looking for an enriching cultural experience.
Mother&Son
Jan 14, 2015 Mother&Son rated it it was ok
Interesting read with my children. But was confused on the culture. Other than that the illustrations are beautiful.
Kristen
Jun 27, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Interesting to see how a nomadic Mongolian family spends the year. There wasn't a lot of information - what do they eat all year? - but it gave a nice view of a life most of us aren't familiar with. Could've done without the beginning of the child starting life in the womb (depicted with a big, red circle.)
Jenny
Nov 06, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Told from the POV of a baby...about the little round houses she lives in from before birth to one year old...about the seasonal moves her family makes and their little round ger. This book was published in Mongolia and then translated into English.
Lindsi
May 14, 2012 Lindsi rated it really liked it
This book is portrayed in Japan and the first year of Jilu and the lifestyle there in a Mongolian community. Great book for kids who are interested in getting to know anothers way of life and celebrations. I enjoyed it!
Karen Arendt
Jan 27, 2010 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations with such detail. I cannot begin to imagine a nomadic lifestyle, but this story demonstrates how a family does just that, with a newborn as the narrator.
Gail
Feb 01, 2010 Gail rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christina Smith Gajadhar, Tracy Maguire
Shelves: children-s-books
I must buy this wonderful book.
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Terra
Terra rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Haliya
Haliya rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Sydney
Sydney added it
Jan 15, 2016
Dog Boy
Dog Boy marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Ashley Honican
Ashley Honican marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Kellee
Kellee marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2015
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Sheree
Sheree rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Bess
Bess added it
Jan 10, 2015
Aspasia
Aspasia marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Fourteen
Fourteen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Laura rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014