Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #2)

Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels #2)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Boxcar Children have a home with their grandfather now--but their adventures are just beginning! Their first adventure is to spend the summer camping on their own private island. The island is full of surprises, including a kind stranger with a secret.
Published February 1st 2009 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published January 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Surprise Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surprise Island

Alexander Petkovski
The Alden children are living happily with their grandfather now, but their adventures are just beginning!
Their first surprise is that they will be spending summer vacation on their own private island. The island is full of surprises, including a kind
stranger named Joe. Joe is always happy to help the children, but their new friend has a secret!

This was the first graphic novel I've ever read and I liked it. It's about four kids who have an adventurous vacation.

It was very short, but I think eve...more
Inge
Oy vey, what a hot mess.
Does every standard format book need to be made into a graphic novel? Not if it's thrown together without any care, like Surprise Island.
The illustrations were ridiculous. The children seemed to always be laughing, jumping, and throwing their arms in the air, even if it wasn't appropriate for the situation.
AND! ALL! THE! EXCLAMATION! POINTS! Are we really supposed to believe that the children are this excited?
The grammar was odd at some points. In certain sentences, it al...more
Jill Sanders
The Boxcar Children is in a narrative point of view. This graphic novel is about four siblings and their dog that go on adventures at an island they are staying with their grandfather. There are two boys named Henry and Benny; and there are two girls named Jessie and Violet. Their dog's name is Watch and follows them on their interesting adventures. There are eight parts to this book that are almost like chapters.

This book reminds me of reading the comics in the newspaper when I was young. I lo...more
Lindsay Wallace
I personally did not care for Gertrude Warner's graphic novel. I thought that it was confusing to read, and left out many important details which were relevant and necessary in order for the story line to make complete sense. This book followed four siblings on their summer adventure as they lived on their grandpa's private island. They set up their own museum, and played escavated in caves to find pieces of indian artifacts. Although I did not particularly enjoy this book, I can see how childre...more
Jenica
Summary:
The Boxcar Children are four siblings who live with their grandfather. As a summer vacation their grandfather allows them to stay on a small island. While on the island the children find a plethora of items. They discover some Indian remains as well as some unique flowers and shells. They start a small museum in an old barn of all the artifacts they have found. The Children also find their long lost cousin. They have a picnic on the island and surprise their grandfather with their cousin...more
Margaret
While I read this as an epub from @Netgalley on my nookcolor and it was a bit rough, I think there is a lot of potential. My issue was that the font was too small to read comfortably in speech bubbles and such. However, on a bigger screen like an ipad or other larger tablet it might be fine. Also unknown to me, but perhaps in a real epub copy one might be able to zoom. This was my first attempt to read a graphic novel on my nook.

It eould also be great on a computer screen or in real print form....more
Michelle Rosales
The Aladean children are in for a great surprise when school is out. Their grandfather has promised to take them to an island that their great grandfather has bought. Henry , Jessie, Violet and Benny and Grandpa are taken to the island by Captain Daniel. They are eager to set up a living place and explore. When the children meet Joe the handyman they didn’t know they were going to make a great friend. Joe helps the children set up a museum of artifacts that they find throughout the island. As su...more
Snorkle
There were some major problems with this book. The dialogue was stiff and disorganized. I felt like the people weren't speaking properly and it really bugged me. The story didn't make much sense and I didn't see the overall plot or story structure - it just felt like a bunch of random snippets thrown together. I also wasn't impressed with the illustrations. This book needed some major editing and the characters were very flat and uninteresting. I have fond memories of reading the Box Car series,...more
Christiane
Zero stars. What a disappointment. The artwork is boring, the dialogue is laughable ("That's my brother, Pat! I told him about this picnic. Him and that boy Johnny stole a rowboat to come here in."), and the plot is hard to follow even if you have read the original book. There are some wonderful graphic novelizations of kid's fiction (Coraline and The Baby-Sitter's Club leap to mind) but these are not worth even the few mintutes it will take you to read them.
Tamara the Librarian
Really really boring. Disjointed storyline. Ridiculously simplistic dialogue-- I don't remember the actual books being this bad but the graphic novel version stinks!!
Elizabeth
The Boxcar Children are going to experience a summer adventure that they will never forget. They are going to visit a private island monitored by a mysterious stranger. Their quests include sleeping in a barn, exploring the ocean, creating a museum, and discovering what used to be an Indian point.
Simon
Again, a dry story, but at least the imagery was plainly clear.
For a story set in the 1940s, the drawings of the kids clothes and boat make it seem modern day.

Also this graphic adaption really stole away from the book, lots of stuff and plot was left out.
Gardavson
While a bit difficult the believe that the rich relative would leave the children to vacation alone in a barn without stockpiling food and basic necessities, it was still a fun read for me and my daughter and she really enjoyed it.
Jess
Clearly less detailed than the full chapter book, but a good alternative for introducing the series to certain types of readers or using it to compare types of texts (the full chapter book to the graphic novel).
Jason
Poorly written, so-so quality art poorly transferred to the page
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Emma Foxworth
Emma Foxworth marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shannon Eric Denton is a veteran storyteller and artist with credits at Cartoon Network, Warner Bros., Jerry Bruckheimer Films, NBC, Disney, Sony, ToyBiz, Marvel Entertainment, Fox Kids, Paramount, CBS, Dimension Films, DC Comics and Nickelodeon.
More about Shannon Eric Denton...
The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #1) Graveslinger The Amusement Park Mystery The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels The Castle Mystery