Start by marking “A Book of Hugs” as Want to Read:
A Book of Hugs

A Book of Hugs

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Have a Hug!There are all kinds of hugs.
Porcupine hugs are done very carefully.
Knee hugs are good for hugging someone tall.
And piggyback hugs are the best way to see a parade.
From birthday hugs to Great-Aunt Mary hugs, every hug has a purpose even a lamppost hug.
You should never hug tomorrow when you can hug today.
But which hug will you choose?

Puppy hugs

Fraidycat hugs

Birth
Board Book, 30 pages
Published December 4th 2001 by HarperFestival (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Hugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Book of Hugs

Bryce Akey
"A Book of Hugs" was a good children's book. It is about all kinds of hugs. For example, there are octopus hugs, which are which are hugs given with your whole body. Fish hugs are very cold, and are never returned. Porcupine hugs have to be done very carefully. This book lists many other types of hugs and how they are given.

There is not a main character in this story. The story is about all sorts of animals that give different types of hugs.

The setting setting is not specific. Each hug is loca
Meg McGregor
One of the sweetest books I have read in a long time!

It actually brought tears to my eyes!

I need to add this: One of the best hugs ever is a LEXI hug. That is a hug, I get, at the end of an 8 hour day, watching her baby sister. At five o'clock, Lexi comes barreling through the door, saying, "Hi Meg! I missed you. I love you." And then she runs into my arms and gives me kisses and hugs.

Now that is a hug that deserves its own book!
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Great story for sharing hugs with your toddler or young child as the book illustrates all the different types of hugs you can give and receive: baby hugs, tree hugs, parent hugs, grandparent hugs, sibling hugs, blanket hugs, etc.
Diana
Three stars for a cute concept mostly well-executed, but with troubling, sexist messages throughout (Grandma's in the kitchen, of course, while Daddy comes home from work with his toolbox!). Oy.
Melanie
This book was very cute and good for children of all ages.
Sabrina Henry
This book is about various adorable animals giving and receiving all types of hugs. This book is calming and can be used as a simple book to teach young children about the gift of hugs. It also shows aspects of different family members and the love the express for each other using hugs.
There are some simple and cheerful vocabulary words to peek children's interests. The illustrations are simple and beautiful as well.
Chelsea Bucci
This book talks about all different hugs from different animals. Ex: "Fish hugs are very cold and seldom returned" as well as a circle of a hugs is a huddle. "I Love you Hugs are the best!" The book describes different hugs that you can give. It is good to read around Valentine's Day. Promotes friendship.
Joseph Saborio
A wee bit sexist: "Daddy hugs are best when he first walks in the door." "Grandpa hugs are sometimes given while sitting." "Grandma hugs can be found anywhere, but are especially nice in the kitchen."
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This book is in black and white.

It shows and names different types of hugs. Mildly cute and funny. Little Miss, who is passionately affectionate, loved to read a book all about hugs.
Dawn
Aug 16, 2011 Dawn added it
Shelves: kids-books
This was my gift to Calvin, the best hugger ever, on his first Valentine's Day. It is creative and the boys have loved it for a long time.
Veronica
One of my ultimate childhood favorites, an explanation of hugs of every category.
Ray
Cute book for children.
Travis
Travis added it
May 27, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
April
April added it
Feb 20, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Feb 01, 2015
Callen Higgins
Callen Higgins marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Tina
Tina added it
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Book of Kisses How to Prevent Monster Attacks A Book of Friends A Tale of Two Cities: A Musical Play: Based on the Novel by Charles Dickens Tiny Turtle's Thanksgiving