Start by marking “Tales of the Quintana Roo” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Quintana Roo

Tales of the Quintana Roo (Sämtliche Erzählungen)

The Quintana Roo is a real and very strange place. It is the long, wild easternmost shore of the Yucatan Peninsula, officially but not psychologically part of Mexico. A diary of daily life on its jungly beaches could sometimes be taken for a log of life on an alien planet, " writes James Tiptree, Jr., in the preface to this new collection of three talismanic tales of the s ...more
Published December 31st 1986 by Arkham House Publishers (first published March 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Quintana Roo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Quintana Roo

Alix
Feb 10, 2015 Alix rated it it was amazing
A beautiful little book. Made me really want to go and see the Yucatán Peninsula, hoping it still holds a bit of that magic and strangeness that you feel when reading these stories. Tiptree was a fascinating person, one whose friendship I'm sure I would have treasured were we to ever meet. A wonderful storyteller, with a very particular sense of humor and a kindness that transpires through her work.

The illustrations by Glennray Tutor are quite disturbing, and they add to the overall feeling of
Sinn
Hinter James Tiptree Jr. steht eine Frau. Und das ist nicht wörtlich sondern metaphorisch gemeint. Es war Alice B. Sheldon, die unter falschem Namen hauptsächlich Science-Fiction schrieb. Und zwar bemerkenswerten SciFi.

Zugegeben - viele ihrer Geschichten kreisten um das Thema Geschlecht. Aber das ist, angesichts der Tatsache, dass sie ihre Romane unter einem männlichen Pseudonym veröffentlichte um sich dadurch ein wenig Freiraum zu verschaffen, nicht weiter verwunderlich.

Selbstverständlich bedie
Reinhold
Quintana Roo ist der 5. Band in der Reihe der gesammelten Erzählungen von James Tiptree Jr. (Alice Sheldon).
Die drei Erzählungen des Bandes wurden zu Beginn der 80er Jahre, noch zu Lebzeiten der Autorin veröffentlicht, in dieser Ausgabe rundet das Buch das Nachwort von Anne Koenen ab.
Der Inhalt der drei Erzählungen ist schwer zu beschreiben, Sheldon versucht hier den magischen Realismus der Lateinamerikanischen Literatur, wiederzugeben.
Letztendlich geht es um Müll in allen Erscheinungsformen, ob
Ravenpi
Aug 15, 2013 Ravenpi rated it it was amazing
While there are three stories in this book, the title story is the real reason to buy it. James Tiptree, Jr., is a pseudonym for Alice Bradley Sheldon; perhaps unsurprisingly, she plays some games with how gender is perceived in the story. (E.g., it took me years before I realized that the protagonist's gender -- which I'd assumed was male -- is never disclosed.) While gender plays a role, it's only ancillary to the power of the story. There's a snippet of poem that precedes it (from memory; for ...more
Phillip Berrie
Should be 3.5 stars.

Picked this up at a local second-hand book fair. I'd heard that the author (aka Alice Sheldon) was very good at weird fiction and after reading this short collection set in the Quintana Roo region of Mexico I can only agree.

The author's style is great and the stories do have just that little touch of the weird that I like. My only issue is that the foreword hints that the stories are about the Quintana Roo and the remnant of the Mayan culture that is supposed to still exist t
Meg
Aug 17, 2012 Meg rated it really liked it
Old school ghost story style, lovely short ephemeral things in an environment I have no idea if would be accurate to the time/place(Yucatan). The illustrations were pretty scary/ugly, I didn't really care for most of them.
manfred
May 21, 2015 manfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
kurze kritik auf meinem blog.
Sascha Mrowka
Mar 02, 2013 Sascha Mrowka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leider viel zu schnell durchgelesen.
Will McGrath
Nov 17, 2015 Will McGrath rated it liked it
Not really my thing, but an interesting mood piece.
ERNRUS
ERNRUS rated it liked it
May 28, 2010
Philip Foster.
Philip Foster. rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Lucardus
Lucardus rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Nathalie
Nathalie rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2007
Cody Goodfellow
Cody Goodfellow rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 01, 2011
David Johnson
David Johnson rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
J.P.
J.P. rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2011
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2011
Grgry
Grgry rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Patricia Chelmecki
Patricia Chelmecki rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Randolph Carter
Randolph Carter rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
John Muñoz
John Muñoz rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
N. Jeanne Burns
N. Jeanne Burns rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2012
Mea Artist
Mea Artist rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Trillian
Trillian rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
"James Tiptree, Jr." was born Alice Bradley in Chicago in 1915. Her mother was the writer Mary Hastings Bradley; her father, Herbert, was a lawyer and explorer. Throughout her childhood she travelled with her parents, mostly to Africa, but also to India and Southeast Asia. Her early work was as an artist and art critic. During World War II she enlisted in the Army and became the first American fem ...more
More about James Tiptree Jr....

Sämtliche Erzählungen (7 books)
  • Doktor Ain (Sämtliche Erzählungen Band 1)
  • Liebe ist der Plan (Sämtliche Erzählungen, #2)
  • Houston, Houston!: Sämtliche Erzählungen, Band 3