Start by marking “Rosey in the Present Tense” as Want to Read:
Rosey in the Present Tense

Rosey in the Present Tense

Six months have passed since Rosey Mishimi's fatal accident. But Franklin still can't adjust to being without her. Every day he feels as though he's moving underwater, just going through the motions. Remembering Rosey is the only thing that brings him any relief.

He is used to having conversations with her in his head, but when Rosey starts to talk back to him one night, Fr
Published January 1st 2002 by Walker Childrens (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rosey in the Present Tense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosey in the Present Tense

Aerin
Jul 15, 2009 Aerin rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
First Line: Rosey spreads her arms out like an airplane, then dive-bombs off the rock.

Franklin Sanders - lacrosse player, poet, teenage boy - loves Rosey Mishimi. Rosey dies. Franklin can't stop thinking of her in the present tense. When Rosey's spirit appears to Franklin to help him move on, Franklin refuses to acknowledge any truth except that she is there with him. Is it better to be depressed or insane?

Let's be honest. I bought this book because Louise Hawes is Queen of Awesomeness. I knew I
Michelle
Jul 20, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book a couple times when I was a teenager. It came out in 1999, so it's getting "old" but it's still just as amazing as I remember. It's a short read but it's very, very good. For being so short, the characters are pretty well developed, at least the two main characters, the teens. It's an exploration of teen love, death, dealing with emotions and feelings, moving on, all that. If you're more into exploration of emotions and feelings and experiences in relationships, ...more
Linda Lipko
Apr 24, 2015 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A senior in high school when his beloved girlfriend dies in a tragic car crash, Franklin cannot move on. Crushed by grief, he rarely attends school, rejects his friends, and even though they try, he shuns the assistance of parents.

Counseling is useless. Then, miraculously Rosey appears to Franklin from the other side. While he can see her shadowy shape full of light, when they touch, there is no physical sense.

Rosey returned because she heard Franklin crying and was drawn back to him. Now, she i
Kari
Apr 22, 2014 Kari rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, vcfa
This was a tough book to pull off - a teenage boy obsesses about his girlfriend who was killed in a car accident. He isn't able to let her go and his pain suspends her in an in-between-life-and-death state. To my thinking, this book could have failed a thousand times, but Louise Hawes' skill pulled it off. The story has layers, like the threads in an argyle sock, (as a teacher once told me) and they all come together at the end - in a satisfying but not sappy way.
Katey Schultz
Jul 20, 2013 Katey Schultz rated it really liked it
A beautiful prose voice that is magical, heartfelt, and moving fills these pages. Perfect for anyone who wants insight into teenage love or loss. At times, as vivid in imagery as House on Mango Street. Other times as poetic as true verse. Always revealing and unique. A beautiful tale.
Cierra
Cierra rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2009
Devin Saur
Devin Saur rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Uguïsse Packard
Uguïsse Packard rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
Debi
Debi rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
Willow
Jul 01, 2007 Willow rated it liked it
cute young adult book.
Courd
Courd rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Rita
Rita rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Marina
Marina rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Joney
Joney rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Hana Katen
Hana Katen rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Akilah
Akilah rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Ann Weakland
Ann Weakland rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2012
Anne Guina
Anne Guina rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Quinn Quarantine
Quinn Quarantine rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Sarah Butler
Sarah Butler rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Cho
Cho rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
I live in North Carolina, where time moves more slowly than it did in New York. That means my day can include writing, working with new writers, yoga, and hanging OUT with my sweet teacher, Mother Nature.

I have two grown children, both teachers. They are, deliciously and, to me always surprisingly, among my two best friends on the planet.

I'm a teacher as well as an author, serving proudly on the f
More about Louise Hawes...