Start by marking “Luke for Everyone” as Want to Read:
Luke for Everyone

Luke for Everyone (New Testament For Everyone)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Tom Wright's guide to Luke, which includes a wealth of information and background detail, provides real insights for our understanding of the story of Jesus and its implications for the reader. His clear style is accessible for new readers of the Bible, as well as to those who are further on. His exciting new translation of the biblical text brings to life, passage by pass...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published January 19th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Luke for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luke for Everyone

Ron
Well done, new translation and relevant commentary. Good insights to what Wright thought the text was actually about without descending into an esoteric discussion of sources and conflicting interpretations.

Some of his speculation is silly, but that would be true for most of us, and he suffers the extra burden of being an Anglican bishop. We should be thankful that it's so readable. And it is.
Christopher
Thus far in my continuing read through Mr. Wright's popular commentaries on the New Testament, this is one of the longest and perhaps the most passionate. Mr. Wright notes how Luke had the chance to compile his Gospel by talking to eyewitnesses and bring in his own medical knowledge (Christian tradition says that Luke was a doctor) into the stories as Luke describes the hearings Jesus performed with a closer eye to detail than any of the other Gospel writers. In fact, that could be said of Luke'...more
Tim
My wife has walked off with Wright's book on Luke. I will finish it soon enough, but she will enjoy it in the short term. You get Wright's translation of the passage from Luke and a short reflection on the meaning of the passage in a fairly homiletic fashion. He tells short stories about today and relates the immediate stories of Jesus to the larger story of the kingdom. It is not an attempt at a full commentary, but it is deep, while at the same time remaining brief and thus perfect for devotio...more
Ethan
Wright's commentary on the Gospel of Luke written with the non-specialist in mind.

The commentary follows the For Everyone format: the text is broken up into appropriately sized sections, each translated by Wright, and commented upon, with each beginning with a story or illustration, a discussion of what the text meant in its historical context, both in terms of what Jesus is actually doing and also in terms of what Luke is presenting to his particular audience in the first century, and then appl...more
Chris
I've read sections from N. T. Wright's "For Everyone" books before, but this was my first time reading through one volume. Wright's commentary series puts his excellent insights into scripture into an unassuming and easy-access format. Don't come to these books if you're looking for detailed analysis of original texts or other commentaries. This book worked best when I used it as a daily devotional. I enjoyed Wright's fresh, quirky, and sometimes distinctly British translation of each passage, f...more
Rick Hogaboam
Luke for Everyone Luke for Everyone by N.T. Wright
This was a helpful commentary from a homiletical vantage point. Not only does Wright provide some thoughtful illustrations, but he also appropriates in a simple fashion the idea of Israel's story being Jesus' story -- and the relevance this has for making sense of the Bible as a whole and our place in the great story.
Melissa Moritz
I would give it a 4.5. If you want a more broken down version of Luke in the Bible, this breaks it wide open and gives you a much clearer interpretation of what is going on inside the verses. He gives the history, what was going on at the time and current understanding. Great read for anyone with questions regarding the ancient text of when Jesus walked the earth and what his mission was not only while he was here, but in his innocent death. There are other For Everyone books for the entired New...more
ChrisGA
Great Biblical commentary written in conversational, easily understood manner.
Daniel Wright
One of the things I most enjoy about reading Luke's gospel is the sense of controlled excitement as the big picture of salvation is gradually unfurled. Unfortunately, though one can tell that Wright feels this excitement, he does not convey it to the reader quite as well as he sometimes does. On the other hand, his insights are as wise and clearly explained as usual.
Doug Dunbar
Succinct and thoughtful. Not overly technical - which if you've tried to read "The New Testament and the People of God" or "Jesus and the Victory of God" is completely within Wright's capacities. Consistently introduces the passages with a personal or modern illustration that helps us pastors think about how the text speaks to or about our stories. A welcome read.
Neil White
N.T. Wright succeeds in making a commentary that is not only approachable but also very insightful. There are many of his stories that are excellent in illuminating the text in a very helpful way and he makes some connections with other stories that I had not made. I really found Wright's approach to Luke very helpful.
Joanne
May 08, 2011 Joanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joanne by: Tim
Shelves: devotional
Thanks, Tim! My small group used this as an extra resource when we were studying Luke, and found it very helpful. I liked only having to carry one book, since this one includes both a translation and Wright's commentary. We didn't always agree with Wright's interpretation, but always had good discussion.
Tina
As a N.T. Wright fan I'm amazed at the time he's taken to write commentaries on the entire New Testament. Even more amazing is the scholarly insight and practical application he brings out! I didn't think there was too much more I could learn about Luke (my favorite gospel.) How wrong I was!
Jack Kooyman
Easily the best devotional commentary I have ever read. Wright has the great gift of being able to provide solid Biblical scholarship that the average lay person can understand. At the same time, he does a wonderful job of bringing it to bear upon one's life today. I highly recommend it!
Sheri-lee
Kind of like a breath of fresh air. So many passages that I've read for years without really reading them or asking the right kind of questions when something came across as vague prophetic words. Quite a few moments were paradigm shifting and for the good.
Stephen
An excellent translation and commentary. Wise. Robust. Really pulls you into Jesus' life and passion for the Kingdom of God, as well as Luke's craftsmanship in his gospel. I want to read more of this series by Wright.
Aswindo
Sebuah buku yang membahas sebuah kitab (dalam hal ini kitab Markus) dengan cara yang sederhana. Pemaparannya tidak terlalu menggunakan bahasa yang teologis, sesuatu yang cocok bagi orang awam. Selamat menikmati...!
Jeni
I really enjoyed this in-depth look at the gospel of Luke. Some of his insights and perspectives were very different from what I've heard before, although not necessarily earth-shattering.
William
I used the book as a supplement in my adult Bible study Sunday school class. Wright provides much history and deep insights that are a great help.
Kathleen Dixon
This book will be useful when preaching on the Gospel of Luke, but it isn't particularly enthralling so I'll only use it for preparation.
Karla
This is a very easy commentary to use. It is not technical but quite insightful in spite of the readability. N
Jan
In 2008-09 my church is studying the books of Luke and Acts. This complements the sermons.
Chris Hurt
A funny look at the lost years of Jesus as told by his pal Biff.
Benjamin Alexander
A simple commentary that is both short and NOT watered down
Valerie
Great series..........verse by verse explanations.
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • Everyday Justice: The Global Impact of Our Daily Choices
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels
  • The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB)
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • The Meaning of Jesus
  • The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God
  • Prayer
  • The Gospel according to John (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
N. T. Wright is the former Bishop of Durham in the Church of England (2003-2010) and one of the world's leading Bible scholars. He is now serving as the chair of New Testament and Early Christianity at the School of Divinity at the University of St. Andrews. He has been featured on ABC News, Dateline NBC, The Colbert Report, and Fresh Air, and he has taught New Testament studies at Cambridge, McGi...more
More about N.T. Wright...
Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is The New Testament and the People of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #1) Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters