Start by marking “Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)

Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals #4)

Deputy U.S. Marshal Juliet Longstreet has made her share of enemies, and now one of them is out of prison and threatening to kill her. Her mission: find him first. But hot on her suspect's trail is Special Forces officer Ethan Brooker, who has a way of dropping into Juliet's life without warning. Haunted by his wife's death, Ethan is a man Juliet knows she should avoid. An ...more
Paperback
Published August 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Sky

Chana
If you had nothing else to do and there were no other books around except say self-help books, well then it makes sense to read this book. It isn't bad, but there was nothing here to make me say, I'm glad that I read this book.
I did like Ethan; the reader is meant to.
Ethan is special ops but he is kind of a loner. Juliet is a Federal Marshal, much of her family is law enforcement. A neighbor of Ethan gets kidnapped while in Columbia and Ethan has to go get him out. Juliet has been threatened by
Shera Melton
Feb 27, 2011 Shera Melton rated it it was ok
I just finished this book, and I wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if it was in a series or not, but if it wasn't it should have been. There was just so much backstory I felt like I had missed out on, so I had a really hard time getting into it and keeping things straight. This book is labeled as romantic suspense, right on the spine of the book, but I was two thirds of the way through the book before anything remotely romatic happened, and all of the romance was very watered down and felt more off ...more
Kelly Moran
Apr 25, 2008 Kelly Moran rated it it was amazing
romantic suspense. Very good. This was a follow-up on secondary characters from a previous book. Fast paced, great characters, not over gushy.
Cat Reads
Dark Sky is a skimmable read. You won't miss out on much by doing so. Dark Sky could have been great if I hadn't guessed in 50 pages at what the whole mystery was.

Not only that, I found it annoying how Juliet made excuses and made it out like the mentality of the men in her life about her being a US Marshal was okay. That maybe, because she was a female and therefore she worried her parents more than their sons, that she should just quit and go back to landscaping. The author, I feel, is making
Glenajo
Jul 10, 2011 Glenajo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Sky is the fourth book in Carla Neggers’ U.S. Marshalls series. Someone U.S. Marshall Juliet Longstreet once arrested threatens her shortly before Special Forces Officer Ethan Brooker receives an assignment to go to South America to retrieve an American held hostage. Ethan hears that someone with a vendetta against Longstreet holds the American, and connects that information to Longstreet. After snatching the American from South America, Ethan wants some answers and ends up looking for Long ...more
Pattianne
May 31, 2012 Pattianne rated it really liked it
Dark Sky - Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshall Series #4 - (Ethan and Juliet) - under cover mystery, dark and deep cave, they save each other.

Kathy
Audiobook version
Ethan Brooker is like a man lost. In book 3 he spent his time trying to avenge his wife's death. I think we learned a lot about his relationship with his wife without getting too much detail. He has a lot of guilt stemming from the circumstances in his marriage and then with his wife’s death.
Juliet Longstreet seemed to handle herself in book 3 and I liked her character. I was happy that their book was next.
I liked Wendy's character and what she lent to the story.
The ending was
Carol
Aug 11, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing
It was hard to put the book down, I really enjoyed reading it and I thought I would take it on vacation this week end to Algoma but I had to finish the book. It is about Deputy U.S. Marshal Juliet Longstreet and how she has her share of enemies, and now one of them is out of prison and threatening to kill her. Her mission: find him first. But hot on her suspect's trail is Special Forces officer Ethan Brooker, who has a way of dropping into Juliet's life without warning. When she finds her doorma ...more
Leslie Mesmer
Jul 14, 2012 Leslie Mesmer rated it liked it
I'm not quite sure why this one didn't make my top reads because I like Carla Neggers books.
My main complaint on this, I guess, is because it's a continuation of another story. Nothing on the cover or back cover told me it was a series.
For the first 23 or so pages it kept refering back to people from the previous book(s) and wasn't really helpful to understanding the story. Also through-out the entire book they kept refering back. I found that annoying.
Also, the book didn't really end with a
Cgirl
Aug 07, 2013 Cgirl rated it liked it
I was super excited to read 'Dark Sky' because we finally got to explore Juliette and Ethan's story from the previous books in the U.S Marshall's series. Sadly I was disappointed because Carla Neggers seemed to run out of steam with Juliette & Ethan's story. Even though they had what felt like a deep connection from their action filled meetings in the earlier books 'Dark Sky' failed on romance for me. It's like once they got together the spark was gone and the action part wasn't the great ei ...more
J
Mar 10, 2013 J rated it liked it
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I DON"T HIDE OR PROMOTE MY REVIEWS.

I have NO IDEA why this book has this title. It seems irrelevant, vacuous.

The book itself was interesting enough that I read it through. Some of the characters had depth, including protagonista deputy U.S. Marshal Juliet Longstreet, who has rural New England roots but operates professionally in dense urban locales.

But the plot was too tidy for me.

In the end, after all the sweat and gore and near misses, I found it unlikely that two romantic
Erin
Jan 17, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Juliet and Ethan are one of my favorite Carla Neggers couples, and I couldn't wait to read their story! While reading each previous "US Marshals" installment, I would find myself gravitating towards the parts devoted to Juliet and Ethan...totally a case of secondary characters stealing the show. Their interactions were fun, and they were so well-matched in every way. As with many of CN's books, the ending was a bit abrupt and I would have enjoyed a bit more of an epilogue, but overall I was sati ...more
Rose
Nov 25, 2008 Rose rated it did not like it
This is the second book from Carla Neggers that I just couldn't get into. Something about her writing style really rubs me the wrong way. I didn't form any particular attachment to any of the characters, and it was very difficult for me to finish the book. I usually give an author that I've never read before the benefit of the doubt try at least two books by them, before I write them off completely. Unfortunately I won't be picking up a third by this author anytime soon.
Susabelle Kelmer
Apr 15, 2013 Susabelle Kelmer rated it it was ok
First of all, TOO many characters to keep track of. How many FBI people did there really need to be? And how many villains?

And if I read about one more character who "rubbed the back of his neck" when he got nervous/upset/angry/thoughtful I was going to scream! If it is one person's "tic," then that's fine, but I think all but maybe two of the characters were described as doing this gesture. Ugh.

Love story was fine, I liked it. Just shoulda stuck with that!
Joy
A mix of effective and not-so-effective story elements. On the plus side, Juliet's family dynamics and the somewhat twisted attraction between Juliet and Ethan. On the downside, there was only one possible candidate to be the unknown bad guy, because Neggers hadn't bothered introducing any other characters to the plot. And having read a little stack of Neggers's novels now, I am beginning to see she is a little overly fond of male protagonists who are teetering on the edge of burnout.
Joella
Sep 15, 2008 Joella rated it liked it
I totally agree with this review. Couldn't have said it better. "This book was a good mystery. The only thing I don't like about Carla Neggers books is the sexual content. Why?! Ok, I know some people like it, but it's just not my style. Luckily, she is pretty predictable and I can "see it coming" so I skip a few pages and move on with the mystery."
Aimee
Nov 29, 2011 Aimee rated it it was ok
I wasn't impressed. I read someone else's review in which they said if this book is part of a series, the back story is missing. That is exactly how I felt. The story and plot moved along and I couldn't keep up. I like the main character though. Perhaps I should read the very first one in the series.
Lindsay
Sep 10, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was ok
I caught this in the middle of the series. There's a whole lot of backward reference, and I found the story flat. The characters were not captivating enough to spur me to read another in the series, and the plot was lacking. This felt like a transitional novel at best.
Pam Mirabito
Feb 18, 2013 Pam Mirabito rated it it was ok
Not as good as some of her newer novels. Not much romance. This is the 1st book of the series I have read, and not a lot of background on some of the characters. Do you need to read #1-#3 first? I doubt I will.
Lana
Jul 15, 2010 Lana rated it really liked it
Deputy US Marshal Juliet Longstreet gets in a jam, and with the help of a "friend" (probably met in a previous book) she comes out on top. Lots of drama and action, family moments, and a little bit of human romance.

Greatly enjoyed this one.
Trina
Sep 04, 2008 Trina rated it really liked it
Nancy
Jun 13, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
Mystery/romance that held my attention pretty well. I gave it 4 stars but that is a low 4 stars. I enjoyed it and will probably try another book by the author.
Brittany
Jan 05, 2009 Brittany rated it really liked it
It's getting better, but was hard to get into to start off
Lara
Aug 11, 2008 Lara rated it liked it
Shelves: carla-neggers
I liked this book. I already knew some of the characters from her previous books. Although the book was not what I expected, I still thought it was good.
Stephani
US MArshalls Book 4
Sarah Webber
Dec 22, 2014 Sarah Webber rated it did not like it
I kept hoping it would get better. Juliet deserved a better book than this. I think I'm done with this author.
Colleen
Jun 04, 2010 Colleen rated it really liked it
Loved the Herion Juliet and her big Vermont family. Bad/Good Boy Ethan Brooker is a great complimentary character.
Catherine
I only liked this one a little more than I liked Night's Landing. It was okay, but I didn't really get invested in the characters.
Corinne
Jun 13, 2014 Corinne rated it liked it
Good story line. My first in the Marshall's series. I will definitely try more of this author.
Mary Baker
Aug 09, 2014 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
Another romantic suspense novel by Carla Neggers with a strong heroine and a man who is able to appreciate her.
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • Whirlpool
  • Until Dark (FBI #3; John Mancini #2)
  • Traceless (Less Series, #1)
  • Bloodlines
  • With Her Last Breath
  • Dark and Deadly
  • Cutting Edge (FBI Trilogy, #3)
  • Impulse
  • Everlasting Love
  • The Chosen
  • Never Look Back (Look Trilogy, #2)
  • Skeletons
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...

Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals (7 books)
  • Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1)
  • Night's Landing (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #2)
  • The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)
  • Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)
  • Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6)
  • Love Is Murder