Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)

Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  601 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Deputy U.S. Marshal Juliet Longstreet has made her share of enemies, and now one of them is out of prison and threatening to kill her. Her mission: find him first. But hot on her suspect's trail is Special Forces officer Ethan Brooker, who has a way of dropping into Juliet's life without warning. Haunted by his wife's death, Ethan is a man Juliet knows she should avoid. An...more
Paperback
Published August 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Kelly Moran
romantic suspense. Very good. This was a follow-up on secondary characters from a previous book. Fast paced, great characters, not over gushy.
Shera Melton
I just finished this book, and I wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if it was in a series or not, but if it wasn't it should have been. There was just so much backstory I felt like I had missed out on, so I had a really hard time getting into it and keeping things straight. This book is labeled as romantic suspense, right on the spine of the book, but I was two thirds of the way through the book before anything remotely romatic happened, and all of the romance was very watered down and felt more off...more
Pattianne
Dark Sky - Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshall Series #4 - (Ethan and Juliet) - under cover mystery, dark and deep cave, they save each other.

Glenajo
Dark Sky is the fourth book in Carla Neggers’ U.S. Marshalls series. Someone U.S. Marshall Juliet Longstreet once arrested threatens her shortly before Special Forces Officer Ethan Brooker receives an assignment to go to South America to retrieve an American held hostage. Ethan hears that someone with a vendetta against Longstreet holds the American, and connects that information to Longstreet. After snatching the American from South America, Ethan wants some answers and ends up looking for Long...more
Carol
It was hard to put the book down, I really enjoyed reading it and I thought I would take it on vacation this week end to Algoma but I had to finish the book. It is about Deputy U.S. Marshal Juliet Longstreet and how she has her share of enemies, and now one of them is out of prison and threatening to kill her. Her mission: find him first. But hot on her suspect's trail is Special Forces officer Ethan Brooker, who has a way of dropping into Juliet's life without warning. When she finds her doorma...more
Leslie Mesmer
I'm not quite sure why this one didn't make my top reads because I like Carla Neggers books.
My main complaint on this, I guess, is because it's a continuation of another story. Nothing on the cover or back cover told me it was a series.
For the first 23 or so pages it kept refering back to people from the previous book(s) and wasn't really helpful to understanding the story. Also through-out the entire book they kept refering back. I found that annoying.
Also, the book didn't really end with a...more
Cgirl
I was super excited to read 'Dark Sky' because we finally got to explore Juliette and Ethan's story from the previous books in the U.S Marshall's series. Sadly I was disappointed because Carla Neggers seemed to run out of steam with Juliette & Ethan's story. Even though they had what felt like a deep connection from their action filled meetings in the earlier books 'Dark Sky' failed on romance for me. It's like once they got together the spark was gone and the action part wasn't the great ei...more
J
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I DON"T HIDE OR PROMOTE MY REVIEWS.

I have NO IDEA why this book has this title. It seems irrelevant, vacuous.

The book itself was interesting enough that I read it through. Some of the characters had depth, including protagonista deputy U.S. Marshal Juliet Longstreet, who has rural New England roots but operates professionally in dense urban locales.

But the plot was too tidy for me.

In the end, after all the sweat and gore and near misses, I found it unlikely that two romantic...more
Corinne
Good story line. My first in the Marshall's series. I will definitely try more of this author.
Shari
did not like the book and don't like the writing
Erin
Juliet and Ethan are one of my favorite Carla Neggers couples, and I couldn't wait to read their story! While reading each previous "US Marshals" installment, I would find myself gravitating towards the parts devoted to Juliet and Ethan...totally a case of secondary characters stealing the show. Their interactions were fun, and they were so well-matched in every way. As with many of CN's books, the ending was a bit abrupt and I would have enjoyed a bit more of an epilogue, but overall I was sati...more
Joy
A mix of effective and not-so-effective story elements. On the plus side, Juliet's family dynamics and the somewhat twisted attraction between Juliet and Ethan. On the downside, there was only one possible candidate to be the unknown bad guy, because Neggers hadn't bothered introducing any other characters to the plot. And having read a little stack of Neggers's novels now, I am beginning to see she is a little overly fond of male protagonists who are teetering on the edge of burnout.
Rose
This is the second book from Carla Neggers that I just couldn't get into. Something about her writing style really rubs me the wrong way. I didn't form any particular attachment to any of the characters, and it was very difficult for me to finish the book. I usually give an author that I've never read before the benefit of the doubt try at least two books by them, before I write them off completely. Unfortunately I won't be picking up a third by this author anytime soon.
Susabelle
First of all, TOO many characters to keep track of. How many FBI people did there really need to be? And how many villains?

And if I read about one more character who "rubbed the back of his neck" when he got nervous/upset/angry/thoughtful I was going to scream! If it is one person's "tic," then that's fine, but I think all but maybe two of the characters were described as doing this gesture. Ugh.

Love story was fine, I liked it. Just shoulda stuck with that!
Tammy Pickens
Great read!! Lovin this series.
Joella
I totally agree with this review. Couldn't have said it better. "This book was a good mystery. The only thing I don't like about Carla Neggers books is the sexual content. Why?! Ok, I know some people like it, but it's just not my style. Luckily, she is pretty predictable and I can "see it coming" so I skip a few pages and move on with the mystery."
Aimee
I wasn't impressed. I read someone else's review in which they said if this book is part of a series, the back story is missing. That is exactly how I felt. The story and plot moved along and I couldn't keep up. I like the main character though. Perhaps I should read the very first one in the series.
Trina
Lindsay
I caught this in the middle of the series. There's a whole lot of backward reference, and I found the story flat. The characters were not captivating enough to spur me to read another in the series, and the plot was lacking. This felt like a transitional novel at best.
Lana
Deputy US Marshal Juliet Longstreet gets in a jam, and with the help of a "friend" (probably met in a previous book) she comes out on top. Lots of drama and action, family moments, and a little bit of human romance.

Greatly enjoyed this one.
Pam Mirabito
Not as good as some of her newer novels. Not much romance. This is the 1st book of the series I have read, and not a lot of background on some of the characters. Do you need to read #1-#3 first? I doubt I will.
Nancy
Mystery/romance that held my attention pretty well. I gave it 4 stars but that is a low 4 stars. I enjoyed it and will probably try another book by the author.
Lara
I liked this book. I already knew some of the characters from her previous books. Although the book was not what I expected, I still thought it was good.
Catherine
I only liked this one a little more than I liked Night's Landing. It was okay, but I didn't really get invested in the characters.
Colleen
Loved the Herion Juliet and her big Vermont family. Bad/Good Boy Ethan Brooker is a great complimentary character.
Helen
New arhur for me this year (2009) enjoyed the book enought to read another! great suspense!
Dee
Ok book, kept me interested more toward the end to see the twisted endings to everyone involved.
Sharon Klotz
My favorite author - another page turner. This one had me wondering who dun it?!
Donnajo
Romantic Suspense book. It was okay. More of the second than the first.
Brittany
It's getting better, but was hard to get into to start off
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater Trilogy #2)
  • Traceless (Less Series, #1)
  • The Chosen
  • Whirlpool
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Lonely is the Night (Shadow Force, #5)
  • Until Dark
  • Everlasting Love
  • Hurricane
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Blaze
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3)
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht...more
More about Carla Neggers...
The Widow (FBI, #1) Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1) Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1) Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1) Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)