Start by marking “Psychology and Life” as Want to Read:
Psychology and Life

Psychology and Life

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  225 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

Psychology and Life emphasizes the science of psychology, with a special focus on applyingpsychology to students' daily lives.

Psychology and Life continues to provide a rigorous, research-centered survey of the discipline while offering students special features and learning aids that will spark their interest, excite their imaginations, and get them to think critic

Hardcover
Published August 1998 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1977)

Jianxinghuang
Aug 15, 2014 Jianxinghuang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I read the 16th version. Writers tried to classify our misunderstanding on psychology. It is just, and should be our every day life. But not a mystery subject. A statistical subject, though it has a history of no more than 50 years or so, psychology had form a system to explain how the world goes and why people live like this. Besides, some experiences are interesting and the results do surprise us.
Burcu
Nov 29, 2014 Burcu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psikoloji
ilk göz ağrım. ama çok boş konuşuyorsun bazen kabul et :(
Virginia Nichols
Although old book, material everone should know
Anowra
Feb 12, 2010 Anowra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is a very good book
Izarra Varela
Wait, did I just read an entire textbook?

Why yes. Yes I did.

In preparation for HKU's psychology admissions exam—which I intend on crushing, just FYI—I bought a copy of the required textbook and read it, cover to cover. To save you the trouble of reading all dry-as-toast, typo-riddled 500+ pages, I've outlined the coolest ideas here:

Use framing to orchestrate a more positive outlook. This is a classic concept I've encountered through behavioral economics, but it's worth sharing, anyway: people'
Cantfind
Oct 26, 2012 Cantfind rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found some areas in the book too simplistic and shallow - to such a degree that after reflecting on what I've just read I found to my amazement that two pages could have been written in just a few sentences and still conserve the whole information - e.g. the review of contemporary views on psychology in the first chapter is very shallow.
The discussion about statistics is laughable - the examples given as studies that demonstrate statistical analysis are examples of bad statistical experiments
Ali Arain
May 30, 2014 Ali Arain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
very good
Charles
Aug 20, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A good introductory text for psychology. I used it for several years in classes and didn't abandon it because it was weak but mainly to get a change of pace. I particularly used the 11th edition.
Coleccionista  de finales tristes
Questo é un livro abbastanza buono.
Dawn
May 17, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Text book for Psychology course I took. Interesting read!
Justyna
Feb 13, 2012 Justyna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring.
Cemre Boncuk
Cemre Boncuk marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Pacysong
Pacysong rated it it was amazing
M.L.D.
M.L.D. marked it as to-read
Niki
Niki is currently reading it
Teodora
Teodora marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Muhammad Noushab
Muhammad Noushab marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Kam
Kam added it
May 13, 2016
Kauhsal Hirankhede
Kauhsal Hirankhede rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Nieqi
Nieqi marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Kingmue
Kingmue marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Jahvon Montague
Jahvon Montague marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Lydia Won
Lydia Won marked it as to-read
Lydia Won
Lydia Won marked it as to-read
Reema
Reema marked it as to-read
Nhật Đông
Nhật Đông marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Cognitive Psychology
  • Economics
  • El corazón del hombre: Su potencia para el bien y para el mal
  • Women and the American Experience
  • The Politics of United States Foreign Policy
  • Shyness: What It Is, What To Do About It
  • Intercultural Communication: A Reader
  • Nation of Nations
  • Americans in Waiting: The Lost Story of Immigration and Citizenship in the United States
  • Fundamentals of Management
  • Understanding Contemporary Africa (Understanding: Introductions to the States and Regions of the Contemporary World)
  • Curious Minds: How a Child Becomes a Scientist
  • The Heritage of World Civilizations, Combined Volume
  • Biological Psychology
  • The Language of Genes
  • A History of the Twentieth Century: The Concise Edition of the Acclaimed World History
  • Modern South Asia: History, Culture and Political Economy
Dr. Philip George Zimbardo is an American psychologist and a professor emeritus at Stanford University. He is president of the Heroic Imagination Project. He is known for his Stanford prison study, and authorship of various introductory psychology books and textbooks for college students, including The Lucifer Effect and The Time Paradox.
More about Philip G. Zimbardo...