Start by marking “The Other Side Of Paradise” as Want to Read:
The Other Side Of Paradise

The Other Side Of Paradise

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  8 reviews
She lived only for pleasure...until war forced her to find courage she did not know she had, and love where she least expected it. It is 1941, and while Britain is in the grip of war, life in the Far East is one of wealth and privilege. In Singapore Susan Roper, secure in the supremacy of the British Empire, enjoys dancing, clothes and fast cars, tennis and light flirtatio ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side Of Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side Of Paradise

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina SimonsThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferTatiana and Alexander by Paullina SimonsThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lost Wife by Alyson Richman
Amazing WWII fiction (some with romance)
124th out of 140 books — 300 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferAtonement by Ian McEwanAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. Hanley
WWII Historic Fiction
332nd out of 565 books — 425 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbarella
I read this book a few years ago. It was a page turner for me, full of suspense and intrigue. I never expected much from this story, as I've read a couple of Margaret Mayhew's books in the past which have never left much of an impact on me. She excelled herself on this one for me, I read this very quickly as I became enthralled in the danger. Brilliant!
Baz Rob
Bit light but OK. Probably won't read any more from this author
Virginia
This book has been floating around my book swap group in Zürich, and I have a question for you English readers living in the UK and US: do the stores actually classify these kinds of books as Chick Lit, like they do in the English-language section here?

In any case, this was enjoyable. More like Chick Adventure, because although there's romance in the beginning and end, the plucky heroine spends a solid chunk of time escaping from the Japanese invasion of Singapore and then in a prison camp.
Jo Barton
After a slow start I really enjoyed this story. I felt that the beginning was overly descriptive and a bit lighthearted, but on reflection this then serves to reiterate the sheer horror and chaos of the fall of Singapore and the cruelty experienced by those who were taken prisoner. Ultimately, it's a love story but there are moments of high drama interspersed with acts of bravery.

Lucy Courtenay
Started so badly I skim-read the first third. But it captured the horrors of camp life in Sumatra very well, and there was much that was understated and consequently powerful.
Rachel
Not something I might tyoically read, but it served its purpose as a beach novel. The overuse of "Jap" really began to bother me by the end.
Kathleen Freeman
I thought this was a great book.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Vicky
Vicky is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
Margaret Hawkins
Margaret Hawkins marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Milunka
Milunka marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
M Rees
M Rees added it
May 23, 2015
Letia Derderian
Letia Derderian marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Lindal Byard
Lindal Byard marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Robin Leslie Coxon
Robin Leslie Coxon marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Tara Losic
Tara Losic marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Margaret Mayhew was born in London and her earliest childhood memories were of the London Blitz. She began writing in her mid-thirties and had her first novel published in 1976. She is married to American aviation author, Philip Kaplan, and lives in Gloucestershire.
More about Margaret Mayhew...
Our Yanks I'll Be Seeing You Bluebirds Dry Bones The Crew