Start by marking “The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck ” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck

The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  7,954 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Searching for a convenient nesting place, befuddled Jemima Puddle-Duck chooses a fox's den and is then rescued by barnyard collie and pups from the fox's cooking pot.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck

Manny
Jan 10, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There's a scene in the movie Heartburn where Jack Nicholson is reading this book to his very young daughter. He finishes it, and sits there stunned for a second. Then he shakes his head and whistles. "Whew! What a story!"

I concur :)
_______________________________________

The plot of Jemima Puddleduck is remarkable similar to that of many trashy French crime novels. I consider this further in my review of Les Stripteaseuses du Petit Ecran.
Caroline
Jan 07, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a child, but that was a gazillion years ago. Thanks to a friend sending me a link again today, I got the chance to enjoy it again, this time on-line. It was incredibly interesting too, in some instances Beatrix Potter's animal and bird-centric perspective makes one feel a bit uncomfortable. Nature (& mankind's) harsher realities are not avoided. What a rewarding read.

PS ....and those illustrations.... ♥ ♥ ♥

Skylar Burris
Oct 26, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Your average child in the early 1900's must have had considerably more advanced vocabulary expectations than your average child today. I'm always amazed by the complexity of these Potter stories compared to modern children's stories, although this one is slightly simpler than the others.

This is one of my daughter's favorite Beatrix Potter stories. Of course. There is a sinister threat involved, and potential death, and destruction. That sort of thing always manages to hold her interest. Beware
Ladiibbug
#9 Peter Rabbit children's series

Ooooh, this charmed me from the cover -- cutie pie Jemima Puddle-Duck with her baby blue bonnet and pink shawl. I spent an extra hour after reading, ooh'ing and ahhh-ing over the wonderful artwork. I could easily keep this on my bedside table and immerse myself in the art & story.

Absolutely loved the innocent Jemima Puddle-Duck happily walking along with the nattily dressed fox.

Somehow as a child I missed reading the Peter Rabbit books. In 2017, I plan to rea
GoldGato
Jemima Puddle-Duck, a duck before her time, wants to hatch her own eggs. While her sister-in-law is quite happy to bypass such a rigorous job, Jemima is adamant...her eggs, her hatching. She leaves the safety of the farm to find a special nesting spot, but this liberated ducky runs into a foxy gentleman who is not quite the good samaritan as she believes him to be.

Allen Atkinson is the illustrator for this edition of the Potter classic. Such a wonderful talent who died so young, his Peter Rabbit
Afro Madonna ✨
Aug 07, 2015 Afro Madonna ✨ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Awwwn. This was so fun to read. I missed reading children's books and picked this one off the library shelf as I thought Jemima Puddle-duck looked really dashing and ladylike in her bonnet and all her 'duckery '. Might start rereading a lot of children's books now. Ah, the nostalgia.
Anna
A great cautionary fable about not blindly putting your trust in just anyone, even if they seem really nice. As my favorite musical "Into the Woods" puts it: "Nice is different than good."
monica ♪
Very short, cute and entertaining read ❤
A good choice to get out of my reading slump. LOL
Eve Littlejohn
Mar 22, 2017 Eve Littlejohn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having not read this book before I was quite surprised by the story, assuming it was going to be a happy tale about a mother duck and her babies. In reality, a naive duck leaves the safety of her home in order to find a place where she can hatch her eggs by herself. Along the way she meets a gentleman who is nice to her and appears to be trying to help her, which ends up with her putting her eggs at risk.
I think that overall the book provides a good message for children. Firstly it shows the imp
Wanda
Jan 30, 2017 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jemima Puddle-Duck is a very stupid duck (in the author's words) and gets herself into quite a pickle. Fortunately a friend dog sees the problem and does something about it. Beautifully illustrated and written.
Malia
Jul 27, 2016 Malia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Reread this one while waiting to enter Beatrix Potter's Hill Top Farm in England.

It is a grisly tale about reproductive justice! Poor Jemima, who isn't particularly smart but wants to be a mother, isn't allowed to make her own decisions. So desperate times and all that, she goes on the lam. She gets duped by one terrible dude taking advantage of her dire situation, and the dudes who try to save her end up ruining everything. (#banmen, am I right?) Jemima Puddle-duck ends up pretty traumatized fr
Kristi Gatti
May 07, 2008 Kristi Gatti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We just went through some boxes and I found this book.
I remember being stunned at the ending. Is there a moral? Maybe "don't trust anyone". If you need to give your kids a reality check...read this. No Hollywood ending here.
فاطمة الأمير
Don't trust the strangers, don't let their look cheats you.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
What does the fox says!! Hahaha. Oh oh the when there is fox involved you know what always happens. Hmm that sly fox. tsk tsk. Poor Jemima.
Janis
Mar 10, 2016 Janis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another treasure by Beatrix Potter.
Linda Rusche
Dec 02, 2016 Linda Rusche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grandkids-books
This book could have a few more pages in it, explaining that the foxy gentleman are Jemima's eggs and tricks her into the shed.
Kati
Feb 21, 2017 Kati rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck is a short and sweet children story that presents a moral lesson on trusting strangers. I thought the story was very well written and conveyed the message in a way that could appeal to all. The imminent danger was conveyed in such a way as not to be too scary for young readers but still be evident in the text. I have really liked re-visiting this childhood read and may re-visit more of Beatrix Potter’s work in the future.
Dione Basseri
If you're reading the Potter stories for your kids, make sure this is one of the alter ones you read. It's quite a bit more perilous than the others in the animal series, and has a far more depressing ending. Especially for me, as an aspiring parent.

Jemima Puddle-Duck wishes to hatch her own eggs, but they are repeatedly given to a hen to manage. One day, she runs off and finds a nice "gentleman" with a little cottage, where she lays her eggs and is nearly set to begin the long sitting process.
Mimi
Mar 04, 2012 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-children
One thing I love about Beatrix Potter's books is that they almost seem like they are for adults in how she has not glossed over country life at all. And perhaps that is more a sign of the time than her trying to write for adults. Perhaps there was no point in making country life (animal life) more gentle back then, because all children were aware of the realities of country living. For instance, in this story, the whole time we are following Jemima's desire to be a mother and then her eggs are h ...more
Rauf
Jul 22, 2009 Rauf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: children, weekend, fiction
Jemima Puddleduck wanted to hatch her own eggs. Luckily, a kind Fox she met in the woods knew the perfect place for her to do so: his house. Anyone could see the Fox was up to no good but not Jemima. So she went to the Fox's everyday and nothing happened because the Fox was biding his time.
Jemima told her whole situation to her friend a collie named Kep. And when Jemima left for the Fox's house one day (carrying with her some nice herbs; the Fox's order. They were for an omelette he was going to
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

This is the third and last of the Beatrix Potter books that I have selected to review for the site. This tale of the trusting Duck who just wants to bring up her own eggs is a touching story about trusting the wrong people. A don’t trust strangers story.

I think that this version of the book is very accessible for anyone young or old who would like to learn from this story. I love the fact that the dogs go and save her from Mr Fox.

I w
Valerie
I think this also is the right edition. It also has 'The Original And Authorized Edition' on the cover.

This book, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I never have read--so don't tell me how it ends. The illustrations show a very housewifely duck, apron and all, and in one, she's talking to a fox. So there's probably a trickster element in the story.

Potter lived a large part of her life in the Lake Country in England, so the landscapes and animals are native to that realm. I would be very surprise
Lindsey
This is a highly abridged version of Potter's original Jemima Puddle-Duck story, in which Jemima's foolishness is downplayed and the fate of her first clutch of eggs is erased.

This version does make a good choice for teaching preschoolers about context clues and "what happens next" as the text does not explicitly state that the "gentleman" is a fox until Kep the dog runs him out of town. (What foxes do to ducks and their eggs is never mentioned at all.) It would also be a good spring board for t
Drew Constance
Nov 04, 2012 Drew Constance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was cleaning out some crates and I found this old book. I got given it in the easter of 1994 [when I was four] and upon opening it a rush of childhood memories came flodding back. I am sure everyone has read this book, so I won't do a review or thoughts. I'll just say how important it is sometimes to actually go back and re-read your favorite books- despite all the fancy challenges on blogs and good reads. I want to read more childrens books and try and find some of my old favorites because ex ...more
Krista (She Reads Many Books)
My family received this book as a gift from a family member who found it at a garage sale.

I have very mixed feelings about this book.
I have always adored Beatrix Potter. I find most of her work, tales and art, her to be very beautiful and inspirational. This story struck me as quite sad and a bit off featuring duck who keeps loosing her children before they are hatched and a conniving, trickster fox who plans to eat her. In the end the fox meets his end, Jamima finally hatches a few of her eggs
Barbara
Mar 19, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always liked this story but until reading it today I never looked at the deeper story. poor Jemima wants desperately to have a family of her own but her eggs are always taken off her so she goes away to find a safe place to have her family however she comes across mr fox who seems so kind to lend her his house but appears to have annother motive. he gets her to collect herbs for an omelet. in the end he gets chased away but sadly her eggs still get eaten. it still has a nice ending where the f ...more
Joff!
Nov 02, 2015 Joff! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a special emotional attachment to this story as amongst my daughter's first words were "cuddle duck" which was her attempt at pronouncing the title. Anyway, the story itself is extremely famous but it's not the happy fairy-tale one might expect. It's a rather dark, maybe even upsetting tale of Jemima who is a rather unfortunate and easily-lead little duck. I like the 'real-life' feeling this gives though and also that we can perhaps learn to sympathise for those less fortunate than oursel ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the Beatrix Potter series of books, with a copyright date of 1908 and color illustrations.

Jemima Puddle-Duck wants to hatch her own eggs rather than having the farmer take them and hatch them in an incubator. She flies away from the farm to find a place where she can lay and hatch her eggs in privacy and finds a clear place in a woods.

There's a tree stump in the area and an animal sitting on it, reading the newspaper. The animal offers her a place to stay and make a nest. It
Bunda Memeberikanku Pensil Terbaik Untuk Mewarnai 1 1 Aug 29, 2016 02:32AM
  • Winter Story
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • The Church Mouse
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Babar and His Children
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (Peter Rabbit)
  • The Tailor of Gloucester