Start by marking “Introducing Wittgenstein: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Introducing Wittgenstein: A Graphic Guide

Introducing Wittgenstein: A Graphic Guide

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  311 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Ludwig Wittgenstein lodges in popular imagination as the modern Socrates, the master of enigmatic logic, the fascinating and attractive icon of modernism. But what did Wittgenstein really say? In Introducing Wittgenstein we meet a strange man, the rigorous logician who prized poetry above philosophy, who inherited a fortune and gave it away. We are also given a clear and a ...more
Published October 15th 2005 by Icon Books (first published July 22nd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Wittgenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Wittgenstein

Chris
For those of you who don’t know, the “Introducing” series published by Toten Books is a graphic novel presentation of big ideas and their thinkers. They are fun to read and a huge help for visual learners. It’s true there isn’t as much information as could fit onto a fully-worded page, but it makes up in mnemonic assistance what it lacks in exhaustive content. Also, because there isn’t as much emphasis placed on written content as pictorial interpretation, the effort to highlight central concept ...more
Adriana
description

Pois então, faz muito mais sentido Wittgenstein em quadrinhos ou no cinema, mais que ser lido ou ouvido, Wittgenstein deve ser visto.
Dale
I've been reading a few books from the 'Introducing ... A Graphics Guide' series the past several weeks. They've been surprisingly good, and this one is no exception. Over the years I've read quite a bit of Wittgenstein (Foundations of Mathematics, Philosophical Investigations, On Certainty, and the Blue and Brown books), but knew next to nothing of Wittgenstein's life and (ironically) next to nothing of his personal view of life. This little book filled in those gaps.

Wittgenstein is a deceptive
Daniel Chaikin
Immediate response: It helped. This seems to be a good starting point on Wittgenstein.

A short review, from July 10:

As part of my weird quest-to-reread-Infinite-Jest, I decided I needed to read certain key influences on David Foster Wallace, including Wittgenstein's Tractatus...or did I? And anyway, where to start on such a book? So, I started here. The illustrations are random and vaguely pointless, but text is nice and simple. It highlights how absolutely fascinating Wittgenstein the person was
Seth
i’ve realized that one of my favorite things about the philosophy classes i took at carleton was hashing it out in class with the other students. somehow, reading a condensed version of philosophy like this, without the knowledge that i’m going to take some kernel of understanding with me into a classroom, the words just don’t resonate the same way. plus, the average person you talk to will treat you like a joker if you engage in the kinds of philosophical ramblings that wittgenstein will induce ...more
Ruth
Hmm, it was a comic book so I thought it was going to make things simpler but I still didn't really get a lot of the ideas, plus the drawings weren't that great. I might have been better off actually trying to read the Tractatus. There was a part in the middle about thinking that I got a little interested in, but overall I wasn't feeling it.
Neal
This was my first experience with the "Introducing..." series of books (of which there are many). It was a very enjoyable read, with a ton of illustrative graphics on every page; there are quotations from Wittgenstein scattered throughout, though I would have wanted perhaps a few more than the author chose to include; and it's very concise and informative, ranging from the biographical to the philosophical to the interplay of the two and how they informed each other, from influences to major wor ...more
Zach
Fun, short explanation of Witttgenstein's philosophy done as a strange sort of clip-art comic. The thing looks and reads like a zine, but as if they made an aesthetic choice for it to be a zine, without every seeing one in real life, like a person making a "50's diner" based on nostalgic generalities. For whatever reason i found this really charming. This book is not exhaustive, but it gives a good foothold for the life and work of Wittgennstein, like it's just INTRODUCING him.
Kevin Summers
This book piqued my interest in Wittgenstein's ideas, to which I had had only a very brief introduction prior to reading Introducing Wittgenstein. Before reading this book, I did not know that three of Wittgenstein's four brothers committed suicide.
Ben Bush
I'm pretty shameless about reading these comic philosophy intro guides. This one was much less intelligible than the one on Derrida. Stuff about the way language and the world and the impossibility of language actually describing anything. We can't use words to describe the world the best we can do is point to it. There's a nice succinct description of "Rhizomatic" which I guess Deleuze and Guattari picked up from Wittgenstein. Nice joke: "Consider the lady who wrote to me saying she was a solip ...more
Zahreen
May 23, 2007 Zahreen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to think really really really hard
Shelves: academic
I love these Introducing/--- for Beginners Books, and this one about Wittgenstein is no different. It is difficult philosophy to grasp, and the book does a glossing of it, but it's an excellent introduction to a very important philosopher. The book also does a good job painting the historical and biographical context of Wittgenstein's work. His books are littered with examples that make it more comprehensible than most.
Isaac
What is Wittgenstein about? At first, the possibility of logic as a way of describing everything. Later, the ambiguity of language as a way of describing anything. Either way he breaks it all down quite nicely. I wrote a thesis on Wittgenstein to graduate. It was all about the naming of colors, a process that breaks down and is left open to reinvention at any point. That's what Wittgenstein is about!
Richard
I found this series to be a clever way of introducing difficult concepts. Wittgenstein has influenced much of modern philosophy and this was a nice afternoon read. 170 pgs of illustrations and summaries of his life and thought.
Melissa Mcavoy
What a riot. I'll need to read it 10 more times to get it. The day after I read it I had a waiter in Burlington VT who was wearing a rabbit/duck t-shirt. Without this book I would have missed the college-town inside joke.
Victoria
An interesting and accessible overview of Wittgenstein's life and works. This series is good if you are starting to study philosophy or if you just wish to know more about philosophy.
Jim
Jun 11, 2007 Jim rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lazy grad students like me
Shelves: randomreads, comics
This guide was ok. It made me want to find out more about Wittgenstein, but I wouldn't feel comfortable parroting the info here in a class discussion. The art is also...not so good.
_topo_
In pochi altri casi mi sono trovato di fronte a una così totale incomprensione del testo. Non so se a causa mia, di Wittgenstein o dell'autore del libro.
David Glenn Dixon
Ham-fisted illustrations add little. And the quotes from LW are likely more comprehensible in their original contexts.
David Gross
Enough to intrigue me, but not enough to recommend. It often seemed unnecessarily imprecise and obscure.
Charles
Wittgenstein is complicated. I'm not sure this helped, though. On to Philosophical Investigations!
Matthew Conroy
Decent light overview of Wittgenstein's life. Not super detailed, but has some good information.
Rowan
The summary doesn't pull too many punches as concerns the fundamental difficulty of the text.
Andrew
I still understand nothing. In the interest of self-preservation, let's blame the book.
Mikael
nice to meet you witt ich weiss nicht le monde was is est ?
Tal
another relic from my uni days
Nativeabuse
A weaker book in the series.
Ayegou aissam
Ayegou aissam marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
MMG
MMG marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Byron Despres-Berry
Byron Despres-Berry marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • How to Read Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Modernism
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Linguistics
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Ethics
Wittgenstein and Psychoanalysis The Talking Cure: Wittgenstein's Therapeutic Method for Psychotherapy Outlaw Tales of Alaska: True Stories of the Last Frontier's Most Infamous Crooks, Culprits, and Cutthroats Introducing Wittgenstein: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...) Wittgenstein i psihoanaliza