Start by marking “The Sea is My Brother” as Want to Read:
The Sea is My Brother

The Sea is My Brother

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,340 ratings  ·  152 reviews
First publication for Kerouac's 'lost novel.
Published March 3rd 2011 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Sea is My Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea is My Brother

On the Road by Jack KerouacThe Dharma Bums by Jack KerouacBig Sur by Jack KerouacThe Subterraneans by Jack KerouacDesolation Angels by Jack Kerouac
Jack Kerouac's Best
15th out of 19 books — 83 voters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerMagic America by C.E. MedfordSubmarine by Joe Dunthorne
36th out of 100 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Like certain albums, certain writers feel like a season to me. It's an arbitrary association, often stemming from a personal relevance that corresponds to some insignificant-but-for-its-inexplicable-permanence first-encounter moment. Because I was introduced to Jack Kerouac via On the Road at a fleetingly crucial moment in my life during my last spring as a college student, when things were just starting to make sense as the future emerged from its hazy distance, my heady urge to get lost in his ...more
Rarely does a publishing event of this magnitude happen. I am fortunate it occurred in my lifetime.

"The Sea is my Brother" was a undiscovered first novel of Jack Kerouac published decades after his death and written some ten odd years before his seminal work, "On the Road".

In this book, the road is the sea, dark, unfathomable and threatening with the unseen and sudden insanity of the violence of war.

The two main characters are a composite of the author. On the one side is the yearning for car
That book is a sensitively build, respectful and loving homage to this mans development into the Icon he later became.

It is an early work, so don't be disappointed by his writing. It's not "on the road" yet, but if you look at it as a promise to what was later to come, you will love it! I find him to have been a wise man at any age, lonely in his soul but extremely mature for his age.

I love the way the book is partitioned, so typically penguinesque ;-) The introductions, references to his influ
I did quite enjoy this. It was nice to be able to read Kerouac's first attempt at a novel. Unfortuantely it was flawed in several ways, the biggest being that it wasn't finished. Kerouac was splitting himself into two different protagonists for this, the scholar and the drunk, unfortuantely one of the things that make him most interesting to me is the fact that he is both and seperating himself out just made both characters weaker. That said it was a nice story about friendship and searching for ...more
Well what can I say regarding this second book by Jack Kerouac that I have read? I adore him. I have a total literary/fantasy crush on him. This book is part novel, the second part is filled with Jack's early writings, this includes letters to friends, segments of ideas for novels and poems. The book also includes many pieces of writing by one of Jack's closest childhood friends and allows the reader to delve into the two writers as they grow and change.
I was at first disappointed when the main
johnpaul jaramillo
I remember Kerouac biographer Ann Charter arguing in the documentary King of the Beats that Kerouac could write in any form and style and that in her extensive study of the man and his work she could see the struggle for a more unique and distinct style. In the Sea is My Brother and also in Atop an Underwood, another pre-On the Road manuscript I’ve read lately, I can see what Ann Charter means. His early work, or “juvenile work” as some reviewers I’ve read have called it, contrasts sharply with ...more
Kerouac's first novel. A well written introduction precedes the story of two men, or really two versions of the same man: a free spirit and a safe person. Definitely an enjoyable read.
Grady Ormsby
The Sea Is My Brother is Jack Kerouac’s first novel, and serves as a foundation for his signature style and experiential approach to writing. As Kerouac himself wrote, “I want to study more of the earth, not out of books, but from direct experience.” The manuscript went unpublished for seventy years because of the author’s low opinion if it. He noted: "It's a crock [of shit] as literature." The book is a rough autobiographical reflection of Kerouac’s first years in New York City and his brief Me ...more
I picked this up simply because it was Kerouac's first novel. I knew that he wasn't fond of it but I have enjoyed his previous books and there is some similarity in this one with the others. It is written in the typical Kerouac style, a man searching for his peace and his place in the world. The main character, Wesley Martin, is a wanderer. A man that, on the surface, appears to be a free spirited vagabond without a care in the world and tales of booze, music, and women. However, the story then ...more
More about Sebastian Sampas and less about Kerouac really. The novel's fine, but the 'Early Writings' part disappointed me. The pictures of Kerouac's childhood add to the fascination. I don't think it's one of those books were you finish the book in one sitting. You have to read and re-read it.
A young man searches for meaning to his life, trying to find a place for all his philosophies and ideals. Leaving his home for another, he is faced with what it means to act out convictions versus simply discussing them.
The Sea is My Brother is author and poet Jack Kerouac‘s first novel, written in 1942 after his eight day stint as a sailor for the US Merchant Marines. Kerouac considered it to be a complete waste of time, and never sent the manuscript to publishers. In 1992, Kerouac’s brother-in
I am sincerely suprised at how much I liked this book. I plucked it off the "new books" shelf at the library never having heard of it before.

First, Kerouac does the right thing as an early writer. He writes from experience. I can say that I now understand the lure of living the life of a sailor. The expectations, hierarchy, comradeship, and disciplines that dominated that life and how on land a mariner is freed of those constrictions through debauchery.

Also, at the age of twenty-one Kerouac is
The Sea Is My Brother The Lost Novel by Jack
Kerouac (

Yes finally it is out Jack Kerouacs first novel
The Sea Is my Brother written in 1942 and finally
published in 2011, which of course begs the
question why so long, well on getting the book and
looking that it has 420 pages it couldn't be
incomplete could it, well actually it is woefully
incomplete. As just as I was getting right into
the story of Jacks time in the merchant marine the
story finishes just two days after
Steven Buechler
A great introduction to the works of Kerouac.
From Chapter One.
The Broken Bottle
"A young man, cigarette in mouth and hands in trousers' pockets, descended a short flight of brick steps leading to the foyer of an uptown Broadway hotel and turned in the direction of Riverside Drive, sauntering in a curious, slow, shuffle.
It was dusk. The warm July streets, veiled in a mist of sultriness which obsucred the sharp outlines of Broadway, swarmed with a pageant of strollers, colorful fruit stands, bus
Kathleen Luschek
This is a must-read for any Jack Kerouac fan. As a sucker for both Kerouac and nautical-themed novels, I had to pick this up. Most interesting is seeing the brilliance of the Kerouac Way starting to emerge. Even as a 21-year-old, you can see his restlessness, constant questioning and fascination with the American life start to bubble up. With lines like, “What was that sonnet where Shakespeare spoke sonorously of time ‘rooting out the work of masonry?’ Is a man to be timeless and patient, or is ...more
Jesse Toldness
There are a lot of dangers of becoming famous. And Jack Kerouac fell victim to most of them. One of the less well-publicized dangers is the danger that, decades after your death, all of the practice novels, trunk novels, rough drafts and other assorted literary detritus a working writer accumulates during a lifetime will be dug up, have a cover slapped on it and sent screaming out into the world for no other reason than it has the right name on the front. As if touching the story mojo of one of ...more
Antologie de texte inedite, Oceanul este fratele meu este cel de-al patrulea titlu de Jack Kerouac tradus in cadrul colectiei „Biblioteca Polirom”, dupa Pe drum, Si hipopotamii au fiert in bazinul lor si Vagabonzii Dharma.
Cartea, aparuta in traducerea din limba engleza a lui Ciprian Siulea, contine, printre altele, si asa-numitul „roman pierdut” al lui Jack Kerouac, prima sa scriere de anvergura, descoperita recent printre hirtiile personale ale autorului.

• Pentru cititorii pasionati ai autorulu
Jack Kerouac's "lost" novel, written in 1942 and published in 2014, is the story of Wesley Martin, a free spirited ladies' man who's seen the world as a Merchant Marine, and Bill Everhard, an intellectual living in New York and teaching at Columbia who senses his intellectual approach to life has caused him to miss its essence. The two wrangle this conflict out through external and internal dialogue, with the sea serving as metaphor for all the power, danger, awe and beauty that is life. Even as ...more
Jun 10, 2015 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: found it on the library sheves
Took several pages, but finally fell into the rhythm and writing of Kerouac's unique style. Once there, it was clear sailing. Kerouac's choice of words, sentence structure, dialogue, description of facial expressions and body language create not only the setting and tone, but the time and atmosphere. I've read a lot of science fiction where whole worlds are created through much hard work and thought; Kerouac does so as though by magic with seeming effortlessness and thrift. Much is left to the r ...more
Anne Daigler
I enjoyed reading Kerouac before he was Kerouac. The characters were a little stiff, but the story was fast paced and engaging. However, at times it almost seemed as if he was trying too hard to be a writer. I would have liked to have gotten more of a sense of brotherhood and real friendship from the characters; I didn't finish the book really believing these two men cared for each other in any real kind of way. Overall, it was a quick and comfortable read from good ol' Jack.
Michael Schoeffel
Kent Winward
This being an unpublished and early novel, I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoy novels of ideas, so the political banter during the novel was tension filled and intriguing to me. Kerouac simply knows how to tell a story. He knows how to draw characters and has an enjoyable romantic streak. The book is also rich because of all the foreshadowing of Kerouac's later career. Oddly, in some ways this is more accessible than some of his later work.
When I was 15 I left a bunch of books in the art room. Later, I heard my art teacher ask whose books they were, I said, mine. The next day he came up to me and handed me the Dharma Bums and just said here, you'll like this! That was my first Kerouac experience and it did set a path for me. Of course, it was the mid 60's and maybe I would have wound up hitching around the country meeting all manner of people and getting myself in all manner of situations, but I choose to think that Kerouac inspir ...more
Jane French
I love the portrayal of characters in Kerouac's work. I read Atop an Underwood before reading this as it has an excerpt and I wanted to go back to his earliest writing style so that I wasn't expecting anything more polished. I think it's fantastic so far. The era and the sense of freedom is something I have always been drawn to. If you're a Kerouac fan, you must read this work. This edition has more early writings and letters in the back too.
Great read! Not like all of Kerouac's other books. Definitely has a lot of drinking involved of course, but it's a total different style and time period. He refers a lot to what's going on in the world at the time, has character names, and exlpains more in depth the politics of the individuals that he is friends with in the book.

Very nice read, and very different from his other writings. Definitely a nice refreshment.
This Jack Kerouac's first book ,recently edited and published. It's the story of a young man's first journey at sea.The book has several Kerouac themes: the search for spiritual meaning, spontaneous travel as a road to freedom,heated discussions,the longing to escape society.It also explores the differences between a man of intellect ( professor) and toughtened Merchant Mariners.
Christopher Newton
Might not be for everybody but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Kerouac's first novel, written at age 21. His style hasn't developed yet, but it's Jack in there - the same kind of male friends, same confusion about women, same drinking too much, same wildness, same raffish charm. It's great to be in his company again -- if you're the kind of person who likes to be in K's company.
Ronald Barba
It's an incomplete work (his first novel, if it had every been published), but it gives you a really fascinating look at the development of Kerouac as a writer. It focuses on two different personalities (represented in two different main characters), both aligned with the bipolar attitudes in which Kerouac constantly found himself. A pre-/nascent "mad ones" Kerouac.
Dee Dunckley
Supposedly his first novel, which he didn't think was good enough for publication and intended to rewrite. It's good enough for publication. The dialogue is deft, the characters well drawn and descriptions well executed, though it seems to have been an unfinished book.
Abimelech Abimelech
sweet to see it out after reading bits about it in biographies over the years when i was a teenager way into not so much 'the beats,' but kerouac as human being, and it's good to have stolen this gorgeous new hardback edition. not so much a novel but a collector's item.
  • Go
  • The Typewriter Is Holy: The Complete, Uncensored History of the Beat Generation
  • The Voice is All: The Lonely Victory of Jack Kerouac
  • The First Third
  • Jack Kerouac: Angel-Headed Hipster
  • Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac
  • New York Stories
  • One and Only: The Untold Story of On the Road
  • Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
  • Why Kerouac Matters: The Lessons of On the Road (They're Not What You Think)
  • Desolate Angel: Jack Kerouac, The Beat Generation, And America
  • Women of the Beat Generation: The Writers, Artists and Muses at the Heart of a Revolution
  • Kerouac: A Biography
  • Off the Road: My Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg
  • City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology
  • The Fall of America: Poems of These States 1965-1971
  • Memoirs of a Beatnik
  • The Best of Dorothy Parker
Born on March 12, 1922, in Lowell, Massachusetts, Jack Kerouac's writing career began in the 1940s, but didn't meet with commercial success until 1957, when On the Road was published. The book became an American classic that defined the Beat Generation. Kerouac died on October 21, 1969, from an abdominal hemorrhage, at age 47.
Early Life

Famed writer Jack Kerouac was born Jean-Louis Lebris de Keroua
More about Jack Kerouac...

“Does this mean that frontiers from now on are to be in the imagination?” 10 likes
“Dreams were so irrational, so gray with a nameless terror . . . and yet, too, so haunting and beautiful.” 8 likes