Start by marking “Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb” as Want to Read:
Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

The novelization of the movie. Co-written by Peter Bryan George. the author of "Red Alert" which was the novel that served as the source material for Stanley Kubrick's famous movie.
Published April 1st 2000 by Prion Books Ltd (first published January 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Strangelove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Strangelove

May 01, 2015 Corey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me see if I’ve got this straight. Peter George wrote a novel called ‘Red Alert.’ Stanley Kubrick made a movie loosely based on it, calling in both George and Terry Southern to help with the screenplay. Then George wrote another novel called ‘Dr. Strangelove,’ based on that screenplay. This is that book. What’s remarkable about this is how bad this is. ‘Dr. Strangelove’ just might be my favorite film, so I must assume Peter George had little to do with its excellent screenplay. And, even curi ...more
May 19, 2013 Jacque rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Would have been a whole lot scarier reading it in 1982, when I was 12 years old and living just across the river from Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha. We knew that was a target for Russian missiles. Glad I didn't know about this book then or I wouldn't have slept for weeks.
My first reaction when I got to the ending was - what the hell?!
The point supposedly is the farcical nature of life at times and how worrying serves no purpose. With that end, it serves its purpose. And does it well!
Nov 02, 2008 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the movie, I enjoyed this book, although someday I think I'd like to read the original novel, "Red Alert," from which this book was based.
Preston Sinclair
Feb 12, 2013 Preston Sinclair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in a row I've read from the war genre, including The Hunger Games, and War by Sebastian Junger. George's war is in the nuclear era and is written in a dark, comedic style which lent itself to Stanley Kubrick's classic movie version of Dr Strangelove. While George's characters are based on real people, he paints the Leaders as bumbling idiots who fumble there way to nuclear war. Having observed the wars in Iraq, and Afghanistan I don't believe this to be true. If what Peter ...more
Aug 19, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
I suppose it's pretty bad to read this having not seen the film, but I love anything about nuclear war, it fascinates me, so this really was a must-read.

The story is meant to be a comedy, and although there were moments that did make me smile, there weren't any laugh out loud moments. I read that this book was written based off the script, so perhaps some of the elements that made the film so enjoyable are lost in the text? The idea is that the Cold War is basically ended by a sequence of milit
Feb 14, 2008 علی rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
The bomb explodes, and life on Earth's surface will be extinct in ten months due to the Doomsday Machine. Dr. Strangelove recommends to the President that a group of about 200,000 people be relocated deep in a mine shaft, where the nuclear fallout cannot reach them, so that the USA can be repopulated afterwards. Because of space limitations, Strangelove suggests a gender ratio of "ten females to each male, "with the women selected for their sexual characteristics, and the men selected on the bas ...more

The STOP SMILING Rebels + Outlaws Issue features an interview with Stanley Kubrick by Terry Southern.
I just finished it this morning, and frankly it is kind of meh. Probably a rare case of the movie being better than the book, likely, in fact, given the book is a novelization of the movie, rather than the other way around. I guess now I will have to watch it.
I don't understand the ending. They failed. The nuclear bomb will explode. Dr. Stragelove just make a suggestion at last that some proper people live underground? I don't really understand how people like this story. tell me?
Aug 06, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book. I went on a classic movie spree and knew I had to read the book behind this one.
Ayne Ray
Feb 03, 2009 Ayne Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pitch-perfect black comedy about nuclear annihilation. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Biopresto rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Vincenzo Fidomanzo
Vincenzo Fidomanzo rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Stuart rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
David rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2009
Nathan rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Sean Negley
Sean Negley rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Ron rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2008
Gsbakker rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2008
Rosimer rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2008
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2008
Aarón Ratz
Aarón Ratz rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Davydd rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Francesco rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Maryann rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2013
Jul 22, 2011 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick book, reads just like the movie.
Shallan S
Shallan S rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • One Hundred Dollar Misunderstanding
  • Escape from New York
  • Blue Spring
  • Never Bet the Devil Your Head
  • The Short-Timers
  • The Million Pound Bank Note (Tale Blazers)
  • Paths of Glory
  • Unico
  • Scarface
  • Her Name Was Lola
  • The Scattered and the Dead (Book 1): Post Apocalyptic Fiction
Peter Bryan George was a British author, most famous for the 1958 Cold War thriller novel Red Alert, first published under the title Two Hours to Doom and written under the pen name Peter Bryant. The book was the inspiration for Stanley Kubrick's classic film Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

His best-known novel, Red Alert was written while a serving RAF officer
More about Peter George...