Start by marking “The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans” as Want to Read:
The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans

The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Along the Bay of Bengal, between the countries of India and Bangladesh, stretches a strange and beautiful landscape—part ocean, part river, part forest. This is the Sundarbans Tiger Reserve, and it is home to more tigers than anywhere else on the earth. Nowhere else do tigers live in a mangrove swamp. Nowhere else do healthy tigers routinely hunt people. Yet about three hu ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans

Suzanne Auckerman
Interesting book about a little known area and even though a National Park, not accessible to tourists. It seems to be the only area where tigers routinely kill and eat humans, many of which are not reported because the men are in the forest illegally poaching. It is the second book I have read that talks about the relationship between humans and tigers. The books were written about very different areas and by authors with different backgrounds and objectives. The common theme is areas where tig ...more
Diana
Read this to catch a glimpse of people who live with an animal who kills them, and people who respect the lives of those tigers. A way of living with the unknown, the unknowable, and danger, and willing to live within a world they (we) cannot control. With respect, honor and love. And fear. An amazing view into how we once lived with animals.
Judy
Somewhat about the tigers of Sundarbans, but more about the culture, life and religion of the Indian people who live in the area. Well written and informative. Interesting read. Brings to the reader the mystery and magic of these threatened and awe inspiring animals.
David P
Among the few remaining strongholds of nature, in this age of vanishing wildlife, is a place where tigers still stalk and kill humans, not the other way around. That is a maze of saltwater swamps, mangrove forests and low islands, the "Sundarbans Tiger Preserve" in the delta of the Ganges, a true wilderness in spite of its proximity to metropolitan Calcutta. Its tigers subsist on deer and wild boar, but they do not fear man. Expert swimmers, they may leap onto a boat that has entered their doma ...more
l
I knew going into Spell of the Tiger that the author was trying to trick me into picking it up with the awesome subtitle "The MAN-EATERS of Sundarbans" AND IT WORKED. If the following except does not entice you, then you are stronger willed than I:

"In Sundarbans, a crocodile might lurch from the water and grab you; a tiger could leap at you from land or water; as you wade ashore from a dinghy, sharks may attack. There are deadly snakes... such as the shutanuli, which is said to drop from the tr
Colin
An amazing book. Anyone who loves tigers or the Indian subcontinent needs to read it, anyone interested in religion needs to read it as well.

Sy Mongomery is in my opinion one of the premier nature writers out there. This book is a great example of why. Taking a trip to the Sundarbans, a giant mangrove swamp where the local tiger population views the local human population as lunch, she explores the complex lives of the forest's residents. The prose delves into the intertwining of man, nature and
Meredith Trotter
Publication: 2001

Grade/Age: Ages 10-14

Annotation: A non-fiction book that explores the mystery of the tigers of Sundarbans. Almost all other kinds of tigers do not hunt humans, but these tigers are known for hunting and eating people.

Themes: Tigers, dangerous animals, the mangrove forests on the border between India and Bangladesh

Ways to use the book:

After reading the book, have students discuss or write the reason they think these tigers hunt and eat humans.

Have students research some of the ot
Dan
This is great writing, but while the natural history and the cultural descriptions interested me, I found myself drifting off as she described a lot of the religious ceremonies. Part of the problem, I think, is that the author had no idea what was going on at the time she experienced many of these things in the Indian Sundabarans (she didn't speak Bengali and her hosts didn't speak much English) so she only learned what had happened after the fact. Still, I'd recommend it to anyone who has an in ...more
Keesha 11-12
The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans is really interesting. You get to catch a glimpse of people getting eaten by the animals they live with. This book provides information on these dangerous predators. After reading this book, I thought of how awful it must have been being eaten by a tiger. The pain that flows through your body must be excruciating. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Beverly
Wow! Tigers that really attack and eat men! but these are men that ill advisedly go into the tiger preserve in this area of India. This preserve happens to be a huge mangrove swamp, and the local people are not supposed to go into the preserve. So if they get taken by a tiger, it really is on their own head!
Fascinating information; terrific photographs
Angie Ungaro
Sep 24, 2007 Angie Ungaro rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: naturalists
Shelves: adult_lit
Sy Montgomery is my hero. She's smart and concientious and a good writer and fearless and has adventures and tells the best stories. Wow. I kind of want to be her one day. I just don't know if I'm cut out the same stuff as she is. She's kind of way cooler than I am. Read her books. Especially "The Good, Good Pig." Do it now.
Beth
The beginning of this book is so great to use with students working on visualizing. They are engaged from the very start. I enjoy how Montgomery uses research questions throughout her writing to demonstrate to students how the research trips come together.
Paul Davies C
Through out the book,the author tries to make people really scary of Sunderbans,especially its tigers. I am of the opinion that the author must have discussed a lot more positive aspects of Sunderbans in the book.
stellajames
I found this difficult to read because of all the myths in it. That's just not my kind of reading. But I love this author and wanted to finish this one, so I plowed through it.
Brittany
This is a well-written, inspiring, and uplifting book about man-eating tigers in India. And if you don't understand how that can possibly be, then you need to read this book!
Tracy Elizabeth
Captivating book. I felt a bit disconnected though. There was a TV documentary made from this book which really made up for my lack of readership skills.
Katrina
I thought this would be a bit different than it was...It's a short children's book with photographs, not in novel form. But it was interesting.
Karen
Fascinating description of the fact and fiction surrounding tigers, looking at why certain tigers (and only certain tigers) eat men.
Maggie
Aug 16, 2009 Maggie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tiger enthusiasts
The writing was a little hokey but the stories about the tiger attacks were awesome.
Lizabeth
very redundant. Got bored. Never finished.
Lake Lou
Lake Lou marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Joe Wilson
Joe Wilson marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Oct 31, 2014
Adit Behera
Adit Behera marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • Secrets of the Savanna: Twenty-three Years in the African Wilderness Unraveling the Mysteries of Elephants and People
  • Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story
  • Decade of the Wolf: Returning the Wild to Yellowstone
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us
  • The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa
Part Indiana Jones, part Emily Dickinson, as the Boston Globe describes her, Sy Montgomery is an author, naturalist, documentary scriptwriter, and radio commentator who has traveled to some of the worlds most remote wildernesses for her work. She has worked in a pit crawling with 18,000 snakes in Manitoba, been hunted by a tiger in India, swum with pink dolphins in the Amazon, and been undressed b ...more
More about Sy Montgomery...
The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot Birdology: Adventures with a Pack of Hens, a Peck of Pigeons, Cantankerous Crows, Fierce Falcons, Hip Hop Parrots, Baby Hummingbirds, and One Murderously Big Living Dinosaur Walking with the Great Apes: Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, Birute Galdikas