Start by marking “Jake's Regret” as Want to Read:
Jake's Regret

Jake's Regret

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  242 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Eleven years ago, determined to be the son his father always believed him to be, former wide receiver Jake Fields broke up with his lover and teammate, quarterback Damian Grant, by leaving a note after a passionate night of sex. Now, all these years later, Damian shows up at Jake's father's funeral.

After a reunion night of making love, Damian is hoping for a renewed relat
Published March 8th 2009 by Amber Quill

To ask other readers questions about Jake's Regret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jake's Regret

Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonThe Assignment by Evangeline AndersonThe Tin Star by J.L. Langley
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
316th out of 600 books — 1,033 voters
Drawn Together by Z.A. MaxfieldOne Night in Bangkok by Gale StanleyMexican Heat by Laura BaumbachCollision Course by K.A. MitchellWith Love by J.L. Langley
Best Gay Multicultural Lovers
58th out of 235 books — 200 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
Mar 18, 2009 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Shawn Lane is one of my favorite authors
I know when I order a Shawn Lane book I am in for a treat. Her books are always unique because of the intensity of emotions and personal growth her characters must go through before they get together. There are a range of emotions that I feel when I read her novels. Anything from happiness to sadness her books allow me to experience it all. Don't get me wrong, I like the easy sweet stories as well as the next person. But, when I want to read a novel filled with alot of emotional angst and comple ...more
Ava
Mar 09, 2009 Ava rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of m/m erotic romance
Recommended to Ava by: I love the author's work
Jake and Damien were professional football players, Damien the quarterback and Jake his wide receiver. They won many games together and also had a hot, passionate love affair. One they kept hidden. But then Jake ended their relationship with a note on the night before he was to leave town, traded to a new team.

Eleven years later, Damien shows up at Jake's father furneral. Jake's father was a bigot, and Jake tried his whole life to be the son his father wanted, to the point of hiding his sexuali
JenMcJ
Mar 17, 2009 JenMcJ rated it liked it
I think this story could have been longer. I did not particularlry like Jake and I think that is because I didn't get enough of a chance to know him. Judging just by his action, he was not a sympathetic character.

I wonder even now, if Jake would have ever taken the steps he did if he hadn't been forced to.
Elisa Rolle
Eleven years before Damian and Jake were lovers; but there were a lot of obstacles to their happiness: they were professional football players in a period when gay football players weren't even considered to exist; Damian was an African-American man and Jake a white man, and they lived in deep south Alabama... actually I don't know if it is worst that Damian is gay or that he is African-American...; nor Damian or Jake were out of the closet and Jake came from a very bigot family. And so Jake too ...more
Kassa
Aug 29, 2009 Kassa rated it it was ok
This short story is really a combination of a few scenes put together as two past lovers reconnect in a happy ever after ending. Jake and Damien were professional football players together, as well as lovers until rumors of their “friendship” caused Jake to run away from Damien. Jake is deeply in the closet, so deep he is likely to be spitting moth balls as he struggles against a bigoted family and the typical pressure to appease a family that will never accept you. When Damien shows up unexpect ...more
jules0623
Dre
2.5 stars This book kind of started out of nowhere, and I never got a good feel for the back story other than Jake's family is bigoted, and so he broke up with Damian. And because the story was so short with not much back story, I didn't really feel any chemistry or a connection between these two. I also found Jake agreeing to spend holidays with his boyfriend's ex's family a bit ridiculous too. Who would agree to that?!
~SexyBookWorm~
Feb 02, 2013 ~SexyBookWorm~ rated it it was amazing
It was sooo nice to read a bokk that isnt about guys in their twenties for once! Thesetwo men Jake and Damian were friends and lovers in college. But Jake was closeted and afraid. He ran once and left Damian......with a Post It (SATC refrence lol). So even though this story is slightly predictable its so refreshing! Nice to see an interracial couple as well...
Lipvixen
Jan 26, 2012 Lipvixen rated it it was ok
Oh please! Jake ran to Damien in the end because he was broke, jobless, in disgrace and had nowhere to go! Damien should have kicked him to the curb and watch him turn into a whino! A guy dumps you twice and expects you to just take him back? If you did you deserve to be treated like dirt in the first place.
Brenda (b)
Jun 01, 2010 Brenda (b) rated it really liked it
I liked this story a lot. I thought Damian was wonderful, he put himself out there and decided to see if he could reconnect with Jake again after he learned that Jake's father had died. It was great to see Jake pull on his big boy pants and own up to the mistakes he'd made.
Dee
Jan 30, 2013 Dee rated it liked it
This was a well written short story with recognisable and even understandable emotional issues from the characters - I like to read both side of view and they were clearly demonstrated here. Hot sex, realistic feelings, it's all good, just a bit short.
Ms. Nikki
Mar 28, 2010 Ms. Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3 3/4 STARS~ A little more depth to the characters (especially Jake. He irked me) would have easily made this a 5 star read. Everything just seemed too...smooth? Even the angsty part was wrapped up quickly.
Jason
Mar 01, 2013 Jason rated it it was ok
Classic story with little development. Could have been so much more.....
Ami
Sep 01, 2014 Ami rated it liked it
wish it has more meat or emotion but still it pretty nice read.
melek
Oct 22, 2014 melek rated it it was amazing
can jake get a second chance and make things right.
Logan
Nov 15, 2011 Logan rated it it was ok
meh
Rosanny
Rosanny rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2016
A
A marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Skm
Skm added it
May 23, 2016
Nelson
Nelson rated it it was ok
May 15, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
terri
terri marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
M. C.
M. C. rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Te123
Te123 marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Scott Grunthaner
Scott Grunthaner marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Laura added it
Apr 03, 2016
  • A Realistic Romance
  • Perfect Ten: A Going for the Gold Novel
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Letting In the Light
  • Left of Centre
  • And a Smile - Season One (Roughstock, #2)
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Self Preservation
  • Hunger (Chicken Ranch, #1)
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • High Line (Love of Sports, #2)
  • Heart Doctor (City Hospital, #1)
Shawn Lane writes erotic gay romances and believes love and passion know no boundaries. Happily Ever After is for everyone.

In the past she has written heterosexual romances (see her backlist) but is now concentrating on gay romances.

Shawn lives in California and holds down a boring day job in a legal department of a giant corporation dreaming of the nights and weekends when she can create new sto
More about Shawn Lane...