Jake's Regret

Jake's Regret

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Eleven years ago, determined to be the son his father always believed him to be, former wide receiver Jake Fields broke up with his lover and teammate, quarterback Damian Grant, by leaving a note after a passionate night of sex. Now, all these years later, Damian shows up at Jake's father's funeral.

After a reunion night of making love, Damian is hoping for a renewed relat...more
Published March 8th 2009 by Amber Quill

Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedeThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyPromises by Marie SextonThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
243rd out of 475 books — 766 voters
Drawn Together by Z.A. MaxfieldOne Night in Bangkok by Gale StanleyMexican Heat by Laura BaumbachCollision Course by K.A. MitchellWith Love by J.L. Langley
Best Gay Multicultural Lovers
48th out of 227 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
Mar 18, 2009 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Shawn Lane is one of my favorite authors
I know when I order a Shawn Lane book I am in for a treat. Her books are always unique because of the intensity of emotions and personal growth her characters must go through before they get together. There are a range of emotions that I feel when I read her novels. Anything from happiness to sadness her books allow me to experience it all. Don't get me wrong, I like the easy sweet stories as well as the next person. But, when I want to read a novel filled with alot of emotional angst and comple...more
Sandy
Mar 08, 2009 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: M/M romance fans
Recommended to Sandy by: Love the author
Shelves: keepers
Okay, squeezing this in, so forgive me if I leave something out.

Retired quarterback, Damian Grant, doesn’t really expect much when he attends the funeral of his former lover and teammate, retired wide receiver, Jake Fields’ father. Though he’s never stopped loving Jake, their relationship ended eleven years ago when a firmly closeted Jake broke up with him when he was being traded to another team.

Jake’s father was a large part of why he broke up with Damian all those years ago. Jake’s father was...more
Ava
Mar 09, 2009 Ava rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of m/m erotic romance
Recommended to Ava by: I love the author's work
Jake and Damien were professional football players, Damien the quarterback and Jake his wide receiver. They won many games together and also had a hot, passionate love affair. One they kept hidden. But then Jake ended their relationship with a note on the night before he was to leave town, traded to a new team.

Eleven years later, Damien shows up at Jake's father furneral. Jake's father was a bigot, and Jake tried his whole life to be the son his father wanted, to the point of hiding his sexuali...more
JenMcJ
I think this story could have been longer. I did not particularlry like Jake and I think that is because I didn't get enough of a chance to know him. Judging just by his action, he was not a sympathetic character.

I wonder even now, if Jake would have ever taken the steps he did if he hadn't been forced to.
Elisa Ramblings
Eleven years before Damian and Jake were lovers; but there were a lot of obstacles to their happiness: they were professional football players in a period when gay football players weren't even considered to exist; Damian was an African-American man and Jake a white man, and they lived in deep south Alabama... actually I don't know if it is worst that Damian is gay or that he is African-American...; nor Damian or Jake were out of the closet and Jake came from a very bigot family. And so Jake too...more
Kassa
This short story is really a combination of a few scenes put together as two past lovers reconnect in a happy ever after ending. Jake and Damien were professional football players together, as well as lovers until rumors of their “friendship” caused Jake to run away from Damien. Jake is deeply in the closet, so deep he is likely to be spitting moth balls as he struggles against a bigoted family and the typical pressure to appease a family that will never accept you. When Damien shows up unexpect...more
jules0623
Dre
2.5 stars This book kind of started out of nowhere, and I never got a good feel for the back story other than Jake's family is bigoted, and so he broke up with Damian. And because the story was so short with not much back story, I didn't really feel any chemistry or a connection between these two. I also found Jake agreeing to spend holidays with his boyfriend's ex's family a bit ridiculous too. Who would agree to that?!
~SexyBookWorm~
It was sooo nice to read a bokk that isnt about guys in their twenties for once! Thesetwo men Jake and Damian were friends and lovers in college. But Jake was closeted and afraid. He ran once and left Damian......with a Post It (SATC refrence lol). So even though this story is slightly predictable its so refreshing! Nice to see an interracial couple as well...
Lipvixen
Oh please! Jake ran to Damien in the end because he was broke, jobless, in disgrace and had nowhere to go! Damien should have kicked him to the curb and watch him turn into a whino! A guy dumps you twice and expects you to just take him back? If you did you deserve to be treated like dirt in the first place.
Brenda (b)
I liked this story a lot. I thought Damian was wonderful, he put himself out there and decided to see if he could reconnect with Jake again after he learned that Jake's father had died. It was great to see Jake pull on his big boy pants and own up to the mistakes he'd made.
Dee
This was a well written short story with recognisable and even understandable emotional issues from the characters - I like to read both side of view and they were clearly demonstrated here. Hot sex, realistic feelings, it's all good, just a bit short.
Nikki
Mar 28, 2010 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
3 3/4 STARS~ A little more depth to the characters (especially Jake. He irked me) would have easily made this a 5 star read. Everything just seemed too...smooth? Even the angsty part was wrapped up quickly.
Jason
Classic story with little development. Could have been so much more.....
Ami
wish it has more meat or emotion but still it pretty nice read.
melek
can jake get a second chance and make things right.
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Chiara
Chiara marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sophia
Sophia added it
Jun 07, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
texasmoocow
texasmoocow marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
  • A Realistic Romance
  • Making a Splash: A Going for the Gold Novel
  • Precious Ache
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Letting In the Light
  • Roughstock: And a Smile- Season One (Roughstock, #3)
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Convincing Arthur (Convincing, #1)
  • Left of Centre
  • Self Preservation
  • Spot Me (Work Out, #1)
  • Heart Doctor (City Hospital, #1)
Shawn Lane writes gay erotic romances. She is published with Amber Quill, Silver Publishing, Ellora's Cave and Dreamspinner Press. She lives in Southern California and the majority of her books are set in California.
More about Shawn Lane...
Car Wash (Car Wash, #1) At Long Last (Scott and Preston, #1) Perfect Man Trust Pulling Away (Pulling Away, #1)