Start by marking “Loving Julia” as Want to Read:
Loving Julia

Loving Julia

SHE WHISPERED "YES, MY LORD", AND PROMISED TO OBEY HIM ... WITH HER BODY AND HER LOVE

London street urchin Jewel Combs had no future but one of whoredom and shame. Then a dying gentleman looked at her topaz eyes and still untouched innocence --- and wed her to torment his aristocratic family with a final, scandalous joke after his death.

But Sebastian, Earl of Moorland, fo
Published December 1st 1986 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Loving Julia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Julia

Halima
May 20, 2016 Halima rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers that like enemy-to-lovers scenarios
Recommended to Halima by: My non GR's friend
5 HEART MELTING ROMANCE/ALPHA MALE STARS

"It must be true what they say about absence making the heart grow fonder because I've missed you too. Damnably."
*squeals uncontrollably*

Robards, you have a done it again! I cannot even come close to justifying how well written this little number was, ah gad, the romance, it was breathtaking!

Sebastian was the devil himself! Charming, handsome to a fault and ever the controlling, proud alpha Earl. *sighs* I still can't get over how well he compliments
Lynsey A
I read this one years ago and I recall how un-pc it is and quite the bodice ripper. The hero is craptasically awful to the heroine after one scene and I wanted to hit him but it also brings in the angsty-goodness.

Honestly, I think it was early college late high school when I last read this book but I did like it. I do plan to re-read it again soon.

The ending was great and the hero is so wonderful to Julia in the end that it almost makes up for his behavior.

These 80's heroes of Robard's are quit
Galena Sanz
Me gustó lo diferente de este libro por sus personajes, sobre todo por la protagonista femenina, Julia/Jewell. La verdad es que al principio su forma de hablar que imita un estilo vulgar me costó llevarlo, pero con el tiempo uno se acostumbra. Lo que no terminó de convencerme es que ella es super joven, solo 16 años y verla ya con un hombre tan maduro... Una joven de esa edad no es adulta emocionalmente para enfrentarse a todo eso, no es una igual intelectual del otro, pero en fin... Una novela ...more
KatieV
This had potential and perhaps that's why I was disappointed.

It's basically a Pygmalion/My Fair Lady story. The problem I had was that both the H/h acted like teenagers. The h WAS a teen, so I guess I can give her some slack, but the H had no such excuse.

There was potential for great angst, but it just fell short. For example, the scene where he sends for her and directs her to the house in London where he keeps his mistresses. Basically he intends to install her there and doesn't even ask her
Twiggy
Mar 22, 2011 Twiggy rated it really liked it
Probably 3.5 -4 stars.

Interesting story.

Jewel Combs is a 16 year old london street urchin with no future. She works as a pick pocket with a pretty brutal group of men and is in fear that she will end up being sold as a whore. One night she and 2 other men( mick and jem) set about robbing a young man. Things get out of hand and mick needlessly stabs him.

This was not what Jewel had signed up for and she feels guilty about what happens so she tries to get help for the man and stays to try and nu
Gaby
"Julia" es una historia encantadora que está contada de un modo tan recargado en distracciones que termina perdiendo potencia.
El planteo era tan seductor que seguí leyendo hasta el final con voracidad y por momentos la historia se ponía muy interesante y entretenida pero la totalidad de la obra no acompaña ni al planteo argumental ni a los momentos más atractivos del relato.
Si quieren una historia romántica, que mantiene al lector expectante y que evoca las características propias del género rom
Jackie
Jul 02, 2010 Jackie added it
Author recommended by a friend. I like to read the early books by an author who is new to me, and the author's web site said that "everyone loves this one," so I gave it a try.

Very accomplished writing and plotting, but quite "Old Skool" in its linkage of sexuality and violence, as well as its construction of secondary female characters. I'll have to try a more recent Robards to see if her ideology has changed with the times, or if she remains Old Skool.
Lovetoread
Loving Julia is the first novel by Karen Robards that I have read. I do not even know where to start with this review. To say I loved the extremely interesting characters and the outstanding story seems so trivial for wonderful story I just finished reading. I loved the heroine Jewel, her frank look at life and the compassion and tenderness in a young woman who has only seen the evils in life. Her strength of character with a chin up and a attitude of "you're no better than me".
I also loved Seba
Christine
Oct 10, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
Saw this Golden Oldie at the library, and just couldn't resist it. And..it's interesting to see how times have changed in the romance genre since this was published in 1986.

Jewel (aka Julia), is seventeen and lives her life as a petty criminal life among the London slums. She becomes unwillingly involved in a robbery that goes horribly wrong, but the dying victim insists that she marry him -- he wants to repay her kindness and antagonize his aristocratic relatives. And when Jewel shows up at the
Tina
3.5 to 4 Stars

This was a five-star till I got to about 70% through. I don't want to spoil the book so I can't really say why other than the Hero's about face with regard to certain issues he had just seemed too easy. I also started to find the heroine's (Julia/Jewel) relationship with the hero (Sebastian) a little too hot and cold... The words bi-polar and door mat came to mind a few times in the last 30% of the book. That said I can honestly say this was a very captivating read from start to fi
Lucimar
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
More like Hating Julia.
Ana
Oct 03, 2010 Ana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-romances
Loving Julia is a wonderful example of a classic historical romance. There’s no rush to hit the bedroom, the bad guys aren’t ‘misunderstood boys who weren’t hugged enough as a child’ and Robards took her time in building the characters ensuring they were fully realized BEFORE they met. Wow, what a concept – a hero and heroine who have time to get to know each other before ripping off their clothing.

Keeping in mind that this book was written in the mid-eighties, the main characters go through the
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

Jewel Comb has been raised in slums of White Chapel stealing from the rich to avoid starvation and being forced into prostitution. After a robbery gone wrong Jewel feels guilty for her victim and nurses him till his death. In exchange the rich man marries her before his death so that she may inherit his wealth.

Upon collecting her new found fortune she meets her late husband's cousin, Sebastian, Earl of Moorland who allows her to stay in order to anger his mother and her stuffy morals. Se
Katariina
This is my third Karen Robards book and I loved it. The story was so unique. At least to me. I have never read from rags to riches romance. Wait- maybe The Proposition by Judith Ivory could count, but there the hero was the poor one. Great book by the way. I also liked that this book is may-december romance, one of my favorite trophes. The hero Sebastian was an ass and very un-pc, but I loved him anyway. I guess I like these old-scool books. There were many twists and turns and I was never bored ...more
Amy Diaz
Oct 05, 2015 Amy Diaz rated it it was amazing
Karen is always great at making a great story with all the funnies in them, she took something from My Fair Lady and took away the singing and the Professor, with a Cinderella twist and She's all that. There is mystery, there is comedy and YES great romance.

Thank you Karen!!!!
Anna Mcfadden
Aug 16, 2015 Anna Mcfadden rated it it was amazing
Street urchin Jewel Combs has no future but one of pick pockets and whoring when she stumbles to mansion on Grosvenor Square. now the Earl of Moorland decides to take her in and making her into a lady despite his domineering mother, only to discover that this unlady lady h as won his heart
Anna Marie
Dec 16, 2014 Anna Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: robards
I have read this book TWICE, and I will eventually read it again, and again, and again. This novel exceeds all my expectations. I love the plot, story line, characters, dialogue and the satisfied ending! Karen Robards is an excellent novelist and one of my top favorites!
Sigita
Sep 05, 2016 Sigita rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish after about 50%. The hero was such an asshole and stupidly jumped to conclusion "oh ,she was sooo responsive ,so that means she's a whore!" What an idiot ... And Jewel was total doormat,for someone who spent all her life in slums of London I would think she has more of a backbone to stand up for herself!
Nope,thank you..
Scarlett Villar tiburcio
Jan 14, 2016 Scarlett Villar tiburcio rated it really liked it
me gusto mucho :D... al principio fue muy difícil de entender por la forma de hablar de Julia pero después que me acostumbre ya fue más fácil. El final no fue para nada como me lo esperaba y creó que paso muy rápido. pero lo recomiendo.
Carrie Olguin
Nov 04, 2012 Carrie Olguin rated it really liked it
Adventure romance with shades of Pygmalion.

The heroine grew up on the streets as a thief and sees a chance to change her life for the better so she grabs it. Ins many ways she's the typical romantic heroine, independent, full of spirit and prepared for physical battle if needed. The difference is, since she's grown up on the street, she has years of training to back up her behavior and thought processes.

The hero is the typical brooding, icy, angry, handsome fallen angel. He wasn't neary as inter
Ariel MacArran
Feb 28, 2014 Ariel MacArran rated it it was amazing
This is very much a "My Fair Lady" story, but I absolutely loved it. Okay, yes some of the accents are a tiny bit overdone but still, a fun story that I read very quickly.
Kimberly Sturtevant
Could not stop reading

This book was fabulous. It started a bit slow, but then picked up in intensity so much that I did not want to put it down for any reason!
Marlene
Oct 10, 2014 Marlene rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, kindle
enjoyed the book but the epilogue left me with questions. Did the Ton ever accept Margaret and the Moorlands? LOVED Julia's transformation. wonder why the author kept reminding us of how handsome Sebastian was every chapter with his silver icy eyes. A bit overdone.
Kay-em
May 17, 2014 Kay-em rated it it was ok
Shelves: boring
Started off interesting became moderately interesting in the middle and disappointing at the end. Don't mind the "my fair lady" plot, however, the characters esp the hero are hard to buy into. Definitely not one one of Karen Robards best.
Jessica
May 24, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it
The opening of this book was promising. It is very clearly modeled on Pygmalion. The girl is even called a guttersnipe just like Eliza Dolittle. However, the book alters in tone from being a romantic comedy to a bad drama. It's one of those aweful books where the man, Sebastian, treats the heroine horribly. She is beaten senseless and almost raped twice before Sebastian realizes that he loves her and saves the day. However, she would not have been in any danger, if Sebastian had treated her dece ...more
Diane Madison
Aug 24, 2015 Diane Madison rated it really liked it
I love the way Karen Robards writes. She is one of the greats. And this story was no exception. I would highly recommend it.
Jean Cowden
Jul 17, 2015 Jean Cowden rated it it was amazing
Karen Robard books are really good. I really liked this one. I will probably read it again in the future.
Jody
Sep 13, 2011 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Crystal
Sep 08, 2016 Crystal rated it liked it
Definite romance novel. Had a few twists. Nice when you want something fluffy
  • Shadow Play
  • First Love Wild Love
  • Dark Fires (Bragg Saga, #4)
  • Enslaved
  • Love With a Scandalous Lord (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
  • Chance The Winds of Fortune (Dominick, #2)
  • Midnight Lady
  • Love, Cherish Me (Aguilar's Fate, #1)
  • Fire & Ice
  • My Cherished Enemy
  • Heartless (The Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • Unconquered
  • Once More, Miranda
  • Deceive Not My Heart (Louisiana, #3)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Wicked Angel
  • Bonds of Love
  • Wild and Wicked in Scotland (Charmed and Dangerous, #1)
Karen was born in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLAME, when she was 24. It was published by Leisure Books in 1981 and is still in print. After that, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today she is a regular on the New ...more
More about Karen Robards...