Start by marking “There and Now (Beyond the Threshold, #1)” as Want to Read:
There and Now (Beyond the Threshold, #1)

There and Now (Beyond the Threshold #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  896 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Seeking refuge, Elisabeth McCartney returns to her centuries-old family home--never dreaming escape would lie over a threshold, taking her 100 years back into the past. When she found herself unexpectedly in the bedroom of Dr. Jonathan Fortner, the handsome Victorian demanded an explanation from this t-shirt-clad stranger who had no "believable" one to offer.
Mass Market Paperback, Silhouette Special Edition, #754
Published June 1st 1992 by Silhouette Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about There and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There and Now

Susan
Very good book - definitely different than what I am used to from Ms. Miller. When Elisabeth arrived in Pine River she had come for a new job as a teacher and to recover from her divorce. One night, while wearing a necklace from her aunt, she went through a door into the past. The man she met there, Dr Jonathan Fortner, was understandably very suspicious of her and didn't believe her story. She escaped from him and returned home. She then went back, after finding out that he and his daughter wou ...more
Kristen Koster
Maybe I'm spoiled by Lynn Kurland, but this one was just ok for me. Yes, it pulled on my emotions in places, but I felt it was a bit uneven. I also felt the ending was abrupt and I was really disappointed with the heroine and her disregard for her friend Janet and the old ladies across the way.
Kathrynn
I didn't care for it. There was too much "trying to convince" people of the time-travel incident(s) and the romance started way too fast. I thought the character of Jonathan was unemotional and flat. There was no suspense and overall it was just boring.
Jeanne
This is a time travel romance story. After her divorce Elisabeth McCartney moves into the house inherited from her aunt. Hearing music that she can't find the source of, she tries the door that is suppose to be to nowhere, and she steps over the threshold into 100 years in the past and meets Trista and her father Dr. Jonathan Fortner. Elizabeth learns of a fire that burned down their house and Trista and her father both perished, plus, she was charged with their murder and hanged. She tries to ...more
Marybelle
Jul 28, 2014 Marybelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet read. Sometimes when the hectic world gets to me, I wish I can go back in time to a simpler world. In this book Elizabeth McCartney does just that, but she finds that every century has it's own difficulties (i.e. no electricity, no telephone, no hot running water, no antibiotics, a false murder charge), and in the case of Dr. Fortner and his little daughter Trista, it's own blessings as well.
Karen
Oct 06, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting a lot when I went in to read this book, but was pleasantly surprised. The little bit of time travel I've read before was heard for me to get into, but this was enjoyable. I liked the characters quite a bit, the romance solid.
Veronica Flores hamilton
Good Read

This was a great book. I really enjoyed it. It was unrealistic but still very good. I liked all of the characters.
Marilyn
May 25, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel is entitled "Here and Then". Both are based on time travel, something that Linda Lael Miller uses only occasionally.
Carolyn F.
Listening to audiobook. Also have paperback.

Elizabeth walks through a doorway and travels back in time with the help of her aunt's necklace. She meets Jonathan and Trista. Even though it's the late 1800's, it's pretty much wam-bam. She's kissing him and he's taking her upstairs at the same time he thinks she's crazy. That's where I'm stuck with this romance thing. The way they act towards each other, I just don't see the beginnings of love. I see a lot of lust but not a lot of love. Well, there
Kim Straub
Not for the kids - one of those romance/time travel books by an author I like that was a quick and frivolous read. We all need at least one frivolous read per summer. Since I downloaded another one like it, perhaps at least two frivolous reads per summer. It is like that indulgent Ben and Jerry's ice cream - not needed, not necessary, not any meat to it or nutritional value, but a sweet treat.
Susan
Dec 27, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I started reading this book, I remembered I had read it years ago. I enjoyed it though, and it was a quick, pleasant time-traveler story. In fact, I immediately started Linda's other time-traveler book about Elizabeth's favorite cousin Rue, who was looking for her and came home to search. And that is where it all begins in both books; in the 'haunted house'.
Karyn Gerrard
Apr 18, 2012 Karyn Gerrard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published in 1992, it is dated with talk of VCR's and cassette tapes, but past that, the story is steeped in loads of fantasy and emotion. Dr. Jon Fortner is the sexy hero from 100 years ago who heroine Elisabeth finds thanks to a magic pendant and a secret door. Finely crafted and the ending satisfying, but I'm a sucker for time travel~. :D
Lynner
Aug 21, 2011 Lynner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was cute and short. I enjoyed the story of the young divorcee who returns to her childhood home for a change of pace in her life. Elizabeth finds a secret portal to the past and a connection to the family who lived in her house a century ago. If you like time-travel romances, this quick read is for you.
Dawn
Jun 05, 2009 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Western Romance.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Linda Lael Miller's books.
This was a good time travel read. I always enjoy books by Linda Lael Miller (especially her Western Romance). Unfortunately, I did not realize that there were two books (Here And Then) to this story & I read the second book first. Each book is different characters, but it made it a little confusing.
Tara Smith
Feb 28, 2013 Tara Smith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Tara by: no one
Meh, It's okay. Not the most interesting book out there. It is a quick read though and good for a time killer. The ending was so abrupt and uninteresting that I actually forgot how it ended and had to go back and see. The sex was good but the ladies were a little easy in my opinion. lol
Jun 03, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elisabeth has inhereited her late Aunt's home. But that's not all, with the home comes the "ghosts" of the handsome Dr. Fortner and his daughter Trista. Can Elisabeth combat time and save them both from the horrible fate she knows they will suffer, and save her heart as well?
Dawn
Aug 20, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this time travel tale. After having just read KEW's Ashes in the Wind, this almost felt like a short story. Elizabeth and Jonathan make a good couple. This book ended with the HEA I was hoping for. I'm planning on reading the sequel, Here and Then, very soon.
Janet Horton
Jul 06, 2013 Janet Horton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I am not sure I believe in the There and Now but it definitely gives us something to think about. Miller has a way of wrapping herself around western love stories and this was no exception. Good book and glad I read it.
Robi Lynn
Jun 08, 2011 Robi Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I feel Linda Lael Miller has done an outstanding job. She keeps you turning page after page, unable to put the book down. The smoothness with whick she brings the two dimensions together is fabulous.
Apr 29, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of time travel but this was a pretty good book. I love LLM and have read all of her creations. This was a reprint and wasn't as well developed as some of her later works but still worth the time.
Brenda (b)
I enjoyed this story. I liked the reactions Jonathan had throughout the story to Elisabeth's explanation of where she came from -- he didn't just accept the concept of time travel.
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that.
Melly
Jan 11, 2011 Melly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. I enjoy Linda's books so much but this one was rather boring. There wasn't much of a story line to it. This is a one time read for me.
Kim
Oct 29, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I enjoyed it. A new twist on an old idea about time travel. Left me with a couple questions about their time travel, but overall it was good.
karen
Mar 09, 2016 karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this story a little slow going . Also the characters need more depth
Astrida
Jul 29, 2012 Astrida rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I like this author, but there was no chemistry between these characters. I did not like this time travel story. Typo on page 14 last line.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. I really dont like romance but this book is captivating and held my interest with the mysteriousness. Really a good book!
Christel
May 07, 2008 Christel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too bad for a time-travel. I did feel sorry for her neighbors though. They probably thought the house was totally inhabited by ghosts.
Shirl
I loved this time travel. Going back and forth with the necklace for the love that was on the other side. Great story!
Krystle Smith
Mar 15, 2013 Krystle Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read for me I loved this book a few years ago and I loved it again today. One of my favourites!
  • Timeless Passion
  • Navy SEAL Security (Brothers in Arms, #1)
  • Frankly, My Dear (Creole Historical, #1)
  • The Heart Won't Lie (Sons of Chance, #12)
  • Once a Pirate
  • His Unexpected Legacy
  • Wanted - Dead or Alive
  • 'Til Death (Rebel Ridge, #3)
  • Ain't No Angel (Second Chances, #2)
  • Till There Was You (MacLeod, #8; De Piaget #10; de Piaget/MacLeod, #15)
  • The Silent Rose (Paranormal Series I, #1)
  • Surrender to the Earl (Brides of Redemption, #2)
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Beyond the Threshold (2 books)
  • Here and Then (Beyond the Threshold, #2)