Religions of the World

Religions of the World

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Conceived for students with little or no background in the academic study of religions, Religions of the World offers the most broad coverage of world religions supported by primary source documents, coverage of religions as they exist today, and integrated media resources.

In preparing the eleventh edition of Religions of the World, Mark Woodward drew on his experience

Published December 12th 2008 by Vango Books (first published January 1st 1979)

Arwa
I was given this book to read by one of my students a few years ago. I was reluctant to read the section about my religion as I felt that it would likely trash my religion and my culture. I was very relieved to see how it really highlighted the positive aspects of every religion as if each part of it was written by an advocate of the respective religion it was describing. I have a lot of respect for that since religion is a sensitive issue and there is no value in highlighting the differences be...more
Luis Branco
I have enjoyed reading this book and learned many things especially about the Native American Religions and also of the African Religions. The way the book is written is easy to read and I found very interesting the inclusion in the whole book sections "From the Source". It was very interesting also to learn about the Zoroastrianism, especially after a long time outside of India where I served as missionary.

I would point as a weakness to the book the lack of more information about Latin American...more
Avigdor Qian
Each time I encounter an new religion, I refer to it. Even the religion I familiar with, I am always find something new and something deeper than my previous knowledge.
Joecolelife
Sep 02, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: www.CocoMartini.com
I have been using Hopfe's book since the fourth edition, and I have found it to be very useful and reliable in my classes. The book shows an awareness of the nuances relevant to the various topics (including definition, contra the claim by a previous reviewer who didn't seem to read past the first page) and Woodward's updating and website keep the book up to date. Yes, the glossary could be more extensive, but I tend to work from the book and not just within the confines of the book (as I'm sure...more
James A. Crews
Feb 03, 2014 James A. Crews rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students of Religion
This was the textbook for my World Religions class during college. Although it's a bit dry in places as one would expect, it's still very readable. I'm surprised at how many times I open this one up whenever I need a quick reference.
Jacob Savage
Aug 14, 2007 Jacob Savage rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Christian looking to explore a basic understanding of the other major beliefs in the world.
This book was a great help as far as understanding the basics of other religions. It helped me come to understand how people can take an idea and run with it when it comes to their view of religion; by revealing the corrupt history of many religions and their impacts on different societies and cultures. I read the book as a part of my World Religions course during my Junior year in high school and it was a good complement to the course.
Anna
A very well written text on several of the major religions. It's broken into regions and offers maps and snippets of scared text to illustrate the information. Information not only is given on the formation of the religion and it's founder but on the history of its beginnings and on to present times as well as someof it's major festivals and holidays.
Tim Morris
Jul 28, 2007 Tim Morris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who aint close-minded
Outstanding, comprehensive work of the major world religions. Excellent non-assuming, non-intrusive style of writing as well. PLEASE read this and expand your horizons.
Alex
It was one of my textbooks for a year long course in World Religions. There was some inaccurate information, but the text is fairly easy to read, not too dry.
Kory
Really good book for getting a basic understanding of other religions
Rusti
Apr 11, 2011 Rusti added it
Shelves: textbooks
1 copy available
Tial
Tial marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Jason Sprague
Jason Sprague marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Seif
Seif marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Perthias Mudenda
Perthias Mudenda marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Andreea Cretu
Andreea Cretu marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Isacniuton
Isacniuton marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Herb
Herb marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2014
Demian
Demian marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Religions of the World [With CDROM] Religions of the World (Twelfth Edition) Religions of the World: Media and Research Update [With CD (Audio)] Religions of the World Plus New Myreligionlab with Etext -- Access Card Package Uncovering Ancient Stones: Essays in Memory of H. Neil Richardson