Skinny Bastard: A Kick in the Ass for Real Men Who Want to Stop Being Fat and Start Getting Buff

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Eating well shouldnt be a girlie thing, and the two Skinny Bitch authors will whip any man into shape with their straight talk, sound guidance, and locker-room language in this guys version of the tough-love guide to real health.
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published May 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published April 1st 2009)

Ken
5 stars for information, 1 star for turning me completely off of cheese and dairy, think cooked cow puss. 3 stars for writing in an updated liberated naughty sort of way that made me laugh.
Hamish
I picked up this book, Skinny Bastard by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, from my local library after hearing UFC fighter Jon Fitch recommend it in an online video.

Supposedly this is a straight shooting book aimed at men and getting them to clean up their diet after the success of Skinny Bitch by the same authors, unfortunately it’s nothing more than a mixture of vegan propaganda, half truths and outright lies.

Some examples, the authors claim that we simply aren’t designed to eat meat because we...more
Donald
Jun 13, 2009 Donald rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
This audiobook comes off as a manifesto from a pair of angry, foul-mouthed, animal-activist, vegans. They are pissed at the whole meat industry for being what they are and try to scare the listener away from anything to do with meat in all its permutations by giving graphic examples of animal treatment.

As if that isn’t enough, when there is a lack of cognitive thought process, they resort to foul-mouthed named calling which is really just a half-step up from knuckle dragging. The only thing cle...more
Scott Dinsmore
Why I Read this Book: Health is a constant area of study for me. These women have done the research and have a simple lifestyle that works. I’ve experienced it.

Review:

I know what you’re thinking…”What on earth is Reading For Your Success doing posting a review on a book with a title like this?” How could that possibly be related to true health or success? Well, as my mom taught me early on not to judge a book by it’s cover, it took me a couple years but I finally got past this one. And I’m glad...more
Steve
"Skinny Bastard", from the authors of "Skinny Bitch" is a weight loss how-to book.

A large part of the book reviews the deleterious effects of eating animal products, reviews the unhealthy conditions in which animal products are produced and reviews how various government regulatory agencies are corrupt in favor of big business to the detriment of consumer safety.

The authors also encourage the reader to quit soda, quit smoking, reduce drinking and minimize the use of sweeteners.

No doubt, cutting...more
Kaleb Phillips
My father actually bought this book after he felt that his weight was getting out of control. After reading it, he passed it on to me, telling me that I wouldn't believe the information given. Taking his advice, I started reading it. It's casually written, which I think allows one to accept the information easier than if it were given in a dark, condescending format.

People often give this ill favored reviews, giving the reason that "they are more concerned about converting you into their diet an...more
Oksana Fore
It is a great book. I see some dude posted a nasty comment about with a picture of his baby instead of his own. Hey bro, since you eat meat, you must look like Brad Pitt and hiding your sexy looks, duh.... lol!!! Jeez people, it is up to you what you eat, if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourselves. This book has a lot of useful info, not all is 100% perfect in it, well you get the idea. There are other vegan books, do some research.
Jeffrey Cohan
The vegan advocacy movement needs a variety of voices. One thing you can safely say about Rory Freedman, Kim Barnouin and their Skinny Bastard/Skinny Bitch books is they add some variety.

How many authors, vegan or otherwise, describe themselves in their bio as having "an epic ass," as Freedman does?

And how many book covers promise you that you'll "find out which foods can affect your ding-dong," as Skinny Bastard's back cover does.

The conversational, straight-talking, and occasionally crude tone...more
Jason
Jun 30, 2011 Jason rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Clarissa
Shelves: non-fiction, health
I rated this book two stars, but it's probably more like two "meh's." Actually, it should be one star, but I can't bring myself to rate it lower because I knew exactly what I was getting into and have a hard time docking something for delivering pretty much what I expected.

What I expected was vegan propaganda, delivered in a raunchy, no frills style. And that's what I got. I give this book a few stars because there is some decent information throughout, and because it did cause me to think about...more
David
picked this up at a book swap at work, and maybe my take on it isn't fair since I'm not actually looking to overhaul my eating habits at this point. Impassioned, sometimes funny, polemic favoring vegan diet with lots of organic fruits/vegetables and no alcohol or caffeine. Side trips to recommend smoking cessation and increased exercise. Long diatribes about how animals are treated in the food production process, failure of FDA etc. to avoid conflict of interest and actually protect the food sup...more
Chris Frost
This is simply a poorly thought out, hypocritical, self-contradictory vegan manifesto. The locker-room language was cute for the first couple of chapters, but quickly became over-used. The girls cite many references to bolster their argument for a vegan diet, while poo-pooing the ones that don't back them up. Example.....they reference a small study (17 subjects) done in Japan to determine what, if any, negative effects soy has on thyroid function. It found that half of the subjects experienced...more
James Riggs
I had a few misconceptions going into this book. The first was that this book would be able to layout a guideline of exercise and diet. The second was I didn't realize it was going to be a huge push (shove) to be a vegan.

That being say, it did have a loose guideline of diet and exercise (basically tell you to do it) and at the end of the book, while I can not say I'm going to be a vegan, I can say that I've became a vegetarian now. Through all the talk of what the animals go through and how the...more
Mark
If the chapter on milk doesn't make you give up dairy, you might as well not read the rest of this book. This book hits the mark, which is to wake up the average man to what he's eating and get him to think about how it's affecting his overall health. While there are much more in-depth analyses of this issue (one reviewer cites The China Study as a better example) this light approach works for those men out there who don't read many books. If it makes you think, then it's effective. If thinking...more
Nicole McCann
i've read "skinny bitch" a couple of years ago, so when my male co-worker started asking me more and more questions about veganism i recommended this book. it's the dude version. i read it when he was done for a couple of reasons. first, i wanted a refresher. these books have an unbelievable amount of useful nutrition information in a quick easy reader. also, i wanted to see how they differed. freedman and barnouin wrote this book in the same in your face, humorous way as the other. i loved it....more
Jahde
Very insightful book, makes me seriously consider going vegan. Or at least cutting back on dairy/eggs.
Kellyn
The writing was a fun style. The author spoke to you as if you were in a conversation with them. However, I wasn't entirely approving of their "scare you into health" approach. I am a firm believer, that much in the sense of AA, the first step towards change is admitting that you want to change your lifestyle/eating habits and using that as motivation rather than being driven by the fear of processed foods, or choosing not to eat cow because of they way they're slaughtered. Change for you, not b...more
Lester Usapdin
This book is kinda biased since the authors are both members of PETA. I mean, some vegetables that are sold in the market are really not that fresh and had been sprayed with formaldehyde. But I'm glad to know now which foods are healthy & nutritious to eat. I'm now eating brown rice, wholewheat bread and pasta, drinking green tea. I don't feel that hard to breathe feeling anymore, thanks to this book. They should just put an index at the last part of the book, that's why I'm only giving it 4...more
Eswar

Easy, entertaining and informative read. I finished this 230 pag book in less than a day.
No nonsense language filled with profanity is in direct contrast to the spiritual feel of vegan ism. Sometimes I felt that it was pushing Veganism way too much.
Having said that, the sources are extensively backed up and points are clearly communicated.
Leigh
Extremely funny but extremely frightening expose on the major myths surrounding dieting. The importance of drinking water, avoiding diet drinks (the chapter on aspartame will scare you half to death) and what really goes into fast food. Ugh.

But the writing is brilliant and parts of it are laugh out loud funny. And it will encourage men to make a real effort to watch their diets and exercise.
John
Not even through the first chapter and I've laughed out loud more times than I ever have with any other book about dieting, weight loss, working out, etc combined. Thinking I'm going to love this book.

Update:
Just couldn't make it through the endlessly annoying voice coming through the blatantly blunt and outrageous version of a decent health and fitness book.
Justin Turner
I really ejoyed the sarcastic and quick wit which the author narrates the book. It really opened my eyes about the food processing industry and offer some okay advise for men who want to be "Skinny Bastards". However, I don't think many of the tips are realistic. When I finished the book all I walked away with was be a vegetarian or you are just killing your body.
Jonathan Minnick
Some good information in here, but it's a thinly veiled attempt to make everyone believe that "animals are people too". They were all about being vegan and all that comes along w/ that, I'd like someone to refute their party line by saying that plants are people too, and the horrifying way that we harvest them, trample them, etc is sooooo mean!
Julian Pecenco
Lots of good information, but the tone and approach are annoying. Some people seem to like it, but I found it pretty lame. Also, a highly sexist and heterosexist perspective on something that doesn't even warrant a gender-specific approach. Stick with Kathy Freston's Veganist for a similar book without all of the crap.
CT
I love Rory and Kim's kick-in-the-ass writing style. They are obviously biased in their opinions but the information they present is backed up with references and many non-biased studies. It's definitely worth a read, even if you aren't considering going vegan or vegetarian, but just to know more about what you do eat.
Becky
What a disappointment. I bought the book for my husband when I bought Skinny Bitch for myself only to find out that it is the exact same book! A few changed words and one added/deleted chapter or two and that's it. I feel like I bought the same book twice. Don't waste your money, all you need is one or the other.
Tara
Despite the embarrassing title, I picked this up at my library because its the first vegan-for-men book I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the authors think men like their dietary information delivered in insults and ball jokes. The same info I've read anywhere, but Ina tone that neither me nor my husband could stand.
Keita Ito
Over the moon that there is finally an edition for the men! The updated dairy section is what made me realize I really had to give dairy the heave-ho. I loaned it to a friend (carnivore) and never got it back but since he gave up dairy because of this book I forgive him.
Graham Bailey
So, the secret to a long & healthy life is be a vegan.
That's my contribution to you, so you don't have to read this book. I've read most of what it contains in other more relevant titles that present this information in a much less brash and condescending manner.
Gregory
I'm glad for any book that promotes veganism. I think the health advice and information is generally spot on, but I hate the way that they inscribe gender stereotypes and heterosexism with all their advice about how to be a "real man" and impress the ladies.
Ravi Batra
Jan 11, 2012 Ravi Batra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vegans
Recommended to Ravi by: Dijan Milakovic
I started this book thinking it was going to be a diet book written in a sassy manner, but it ended up being very research-based and persuasive. It basically made me want to become a Vegan, but it was very informational and fact-based. I loved it.
this book 1 6 Dec 09, 2009 10:09AM
  • Cook Food: A Manualfesto for Easy, Healthy, Local Eating
  • The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It
  • The Beauty Bias: The Injustice of Appearance in Life and Law
  • Meatonomics: How the Rigged Economics of Meat and Dairy Make You Consume Too Much and How to Eat Better, Live Longer, and Spend Smarter
  • The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
  • The Lucky Ones: My Passionate Fight for Farm Animals
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • The Pain Chronicles: Cures, Myths, Mysteries, Prayers, Diaries, Brain Scans, Healing, and the Science of Suffering
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • Life Is Short, Wear Your Party Pants
  • The Dreaded Comparison: Human and Animal Slavery
  • ماندن در وضعیت آخر
  • Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook: Crazy Delicious Recipes that Are Good to the Earth and Great for Your Bod
  • The Bruce Lee: The Art of Expressing the Human Body
  • A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food Bill
Rory Freedman is the co-author of "Skinny Bitch". She attended the University of Maryland, and used to not like writing, but has developed a passion for writing due to her passion for the subjects that she writes about. She wrote "Skinny Bitch" because she is passionate about not being skinny or being a bitch, but to educate everyone about becoming vegetarian and vegan. Rory Freedman was not alway...more
More about Rory Freedman...
Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous! Skinny Bitch in the Kitch: Kick-Ass Solutions for Hungry Girls Who Want to Stop Cooking Crap (and Start Looking Hot!) Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother! Beg: A Radical New Way of Regarding Animals Skinny Bitchin': A "Get Off Your Ass" Journal to Help You Change Your Life, Achieve Your Goals, and Rock Your World!