Start by marking “The Thirteenth Princess” as Want to Read:
The Thirteenth Princess

The Thirteenth Princess (Fairy Tale Princesses)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  4,916 Ratings  ·  379 Reviews
Zita is not an ordinary servant girl—she's the thirteenth daughter of a king who wanted only sons. When she was born, Zita's father banished her to the servants' quarters to work in the kitchens, where she can only communicate with her royal sisters in secret.

Then, after Zita's twelfth birthday, the princesses all fall mysteriously ill. The only clue is their strangely wor
Library Binding, 256 pages
Published February 2nd 2010 by HarperCollins (first published August 25th 2009)

Valerie
May 28, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
The story of the twelve dancing princesses isn't one of the most popular fairy-tales to be retold (i.e. Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty) but definitely isn’t one of the most neglected either. This take on it adds a thirteenth princess which was appealing to me. Zita is also a servant while her sisters are just regular princesses-until the enchantment starts taking its toll on them.

The book had the same feel of the Once Upon a Time Series books; the writing style of it anyway.
Cara
Mar 28, 2010 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
I have come to realize that I will always read fairy tales. It's what I always reach for when I need a comfort read. They are all almost easy to read and sweep you away with their magic. That's why these stories stand the test of time.

People know the story of the twelve dancing princesses, but do they really know the whole story? The answer would be no. Unbeknownest to most people there was a thirteenth princess named Zita. Zita is named after the saint of servants, and unlike her other sisters
Melanti
A poorly characterized and poorly plotted retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" told from the point of view of their little thirteenth sister - who was a kitchen maid in her family's castle.

Zita is treated more like Cinderella than a princess yet didn't seem to mind - which I find wildly implausible. Her father, who has exiled her to the kitchens, shows signs of loving her every now and again yet somehow never regrets his decision and never invites her back upstairs to live with her siste
Hope
Mar 07, 2010 Hope rated it liked it
So, I went to the local Barnes and Noble to use a gift card that I got for Christmas (this was actually quite characteristically
unlike me to be using a gift card so soon after receival. I'm lazy. And forgetful.) mainly for the purpose to purchase House of Many Ways by Diana Wynn Jones. But of course, who can resist the urge in a big book store to look at every interesting looking book that you pass? I wasn't having much luck in the Young Adult/Teenager section, as it seems almost every book ther
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
Also here: http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/...

Short.
This story is all about Zira, who finds out that she is the thirteenth princess. She is the one who can save her sisters when the princesses all fall ill. Together with Breckin, Babette en Milek, Zira must try to find a way to break the curse before it is too late.

Long.
Zira is raised in the kitchen by Cook, until she finds out that she is no servant girl. In fact, she is the thirteenth princess and that's a nice suprise for her.

Aurelia is
nicole
Dec 28, 2010 nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, cybils
I love this book with a passion and fervor that maybe only a book read during a cold could provide. I've spent the past four hours curled up under a pashmina, utterly charmed by this fairy tale. I was a little hesitant to read this so early in my Cybils work, since the cover has more sparkles on it than a Blingee. Seriously, this is one of the poorest covers I've come across this year. It doesn't do the middle grade market any justice by going for a cartoony effect and it doesn't match Zahler's ...more
Eva Mitnick
Mar 15, 2010 Eva Mitnick rated it liked it
Shelves: children, fantasy
Most people who have enjoyed fairy tale-based fantasies by Gail Carson Levine, Donna Jo Napoli, and others will find this a pleasant and well-written diversion. Although not as funny as Levine's tales or as psychologically insightful as Napoli's, there is plenty of substance here. Zita is as plucky a heroine as one could want, yet her father's failure to love her fills her with both puzzlement and despair. The twelve princesses remain unsurprisingly interchangeable, for the most part, but their ...more
Josiphine
Jul 04, 2013 Josiphine rated it liked it
3.5

This was a sweet fairy-tale retelling, but there's not a lot of depth. I love Zahler's writing, but would have liked a little more character development for everyone. I think that kids in this age-range will really enjoy it because it's enjoyable and quick to read but it had its flaws. Wildwood Dancing is a better version of "The 12 Dancing Princesses" in my opinion.
The Winter Rose
Oct 13, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This story does not seem like its title. It’s not all about fairy god mother, or seven dwarfs. It’s a story that includes magic, weird dreams, and a witch. There are also Kings, Queens, Princesses, And Prince’s. The setting takes place in a royal palace, and a wonderful kingdom. The King of this wonderful Kingdom marries a wonderful Queen. The Queens name is Amara. The King loves her so much that he decides to name all there children with the first initial “A.” When the 12th princess comes, the ...more
Ryan
Jun 11, 2010 Ryan rated it it was ok
I love "novelized" fairy tales, written from an alternative perspective. This was a good effort at retelling the Twelve Dancing Princesses. Zita is the 13th child, banished to the servants quarters after queen dies giving birth to her. The king had been deeply in love and happy with his queen until she started producing only girls. After 12, he was done with her and then an experience with a neighboring monarch - one with four sons - prompts him to invade his wife's chambers, demanding a son. Th ...more
Kirsten
This book is supposedly written for 8-12 year-olds, but I found it highly enjoyable and some themes like spurned love, lost love, and grappling for love are quite mature for an 8 year old. The book is based on the Grimm Fairytale of the 12 Dancing Princesses -- twelve sisters who dance every night in an enchanted realm. That much is true in the story too, but the author adds a lot more to the story by adding a 13th sister who is banished to the servant's quarters because of her mother the Queen' ...more
Ashley
Sep 19, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fairy-tales
This book was fun. It was a very different way to look at the story of The 12 Dancing Princesses, which has been my favorite fairy tale for as long as I can remember. I do really like that the girl was the hero of the story here. I thought most of the plot was well developed and moved well. I was really interested in Zita's life, and what happened between her and her sisters. There were some portions of the plot that felt a little rushed, but in a way, this fairy tale always does. No matter whic ...more
The Captain
Dec 17, 2016 The Captain rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I am a fan of fairytale retellings and so when I saw the title and this cover, I was intrigued. It is a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses and I love that story. The highlights of this story were the main character, Zita and her friend Breckin, the stableboy. I liked how a 13th princess was added to the story and how she had to save the day. With the help of her friends of course.

The plot does meander a bit and I knew the evil character practically at once so that hampe
Melodee
Oct 01, 2012 Melodee rated it really liked it
This is exactly the type of book I've been looking for to recommend to my 10 year old daughter!! Well written, with just enough puzzle and just enough clues for her age to figure out. A good tale of making friends and overcoming your own fears, and a fresh looki at an old fairy tale to boot! What I really liked, is that even though it does end with a "Happily Ever After" it wasn't PERFECT. There is still a bit of heartache and a good reminder that life isn't fair, and nothing wraps up perfectly, ...more
Lisa the Librarian
This is my favorite expanded retelling of a classic fairy tale since Ella Enchanted. Very well done and enchanting story based on a bit lesser know tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses.

The storyteller is Zita, the thirteenth and yongest sister of the famed dancers. She has a clear and honest voice. Zita is a very likeable character. She handles her life challenges with dignity, grace and courage. With lots of plot twists this is a well told story that keeps the pages turning.

The copy I read was a
JoAnna Smedley Vea
Feb 05, 2012 JoAnna Smedley Vea rated it really liked it
This was a great twist on the 12 Dancing Princesses fairy tale. Zita, the unexpected and unwanted 13th daughter of the king and queen, finds out her name means "seeker," which she lives up to in this book. She seeks out her true parentage, which she didn't know for the first several years of her life. She also seeks out and finds the love of her sisters, then seeks a way to save her sisters from the curse of being forced to dance all night, every night. Mingled with all this there is a little ro ...more
Jessika
Fairytales are my absolute favorite, and my top fairytale has always been "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." The Thirteen Princess was an original, albeit quaint, take on the original tale.

I enjoyed this book well enough, and I can definitely picture reading this with my daughter if I have one in the future. While it may not be the most riveting read for adults, I know I would have loved this book as I was learning to read chapter books.

This didn't have the best character development or plot, bu
Elevetha
Aug 13, 2012 Elevetha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side
A retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. What if there were 13 not 12 princesses? What if her mother died at childbirth, having the thirteenth princess and the king was so devastated he never wanted to see her. What if one of them grew up as a servant watching her sisters from the kitchen? What she found out and realized she had to help save the family she never knew she had? I loved how the writing flowed. I loved how her 12 sisters took her in as their sister right away and were so sweet ...more
Melissa
Sep 15, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I just love a good, sweet, clean fairy tale retelling. This was the 12 dancing princesses retold with a couple other elements of other fairy tales. What I loved most about this story was the main character Zita. She was sweet and strong and carried the story well. I loved the description of the castle and the mold and dampness. This was a fun quick read for girls 10 and up.
Re-read 7-2014 Read to my girls 16 to 5. The 5 year old had a hard time and the 8 year old needed some explanation but overa
Clare Cannon
May 03, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 08-12yrs
A fairytale retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses from the perspective of little Zita, the thirteenth princess, who has been banished to the kitchen and lives as a servant. A nice enough story with no real surprises, though there are a couple of inappropriate allusions that will hopefully go unnoticed by most young readers.
Ashlee Willis
Jun 01, 2013 Ashlee Willis rated it it was amazing
A very enchanting retelling of the fairy tale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." Zahler's style is simple and refreshing. I love the angle she gives the story with the unknown 13th princess narrating the tale of her older sisters. Great read for anyone who loves fairytales!
Micaela Muldoon
Mar 03, 2016 Micaela Muldoon rated it liked it
Zahler created a sweet cast of characters, including a few new additions to the original tale. Overall, though, it is a bit slow going, and the relationships aren't as developed as the could have been had the book been given many more pages.
Maybeline Tay
Apr 22, 2015 Maybeline Tay rated it really liked it
An interesting re telling of the 12 dancing princesses. This version includes a thirteenth princess and lots of magic.

Josh Newhouse
Mar 13, 2012 Josh Newhouse rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-13-read
Cute 3.5 stars reselling of the old fairytale, that was pleasant if a trifle, but relegated the title character too often to an observer of the action.
Beatriz Hernandez
Jan 04, 2016 Beatriz Hernandez rated it really liked it
GOOD
Shani Soloff
Nov 24, 2011 Shani Soloff rated it it was amazing
excellent YA novel, intriguing and riveting. did not want to put it down start to finish, i was completely captivated by the tale.
Jocelyn Koehler
Apr 12, 2012 Jocelyn Koehler rated it liked it
Nefertari Hammant
This is a fun,interesting book and ,in my opinion,the best of Diane Zahler's books . The concept of a thirteenth princess is interesting and Zita is a likable heroine . My only complaint about the book is that her twelve sisters are not very well explored as characters ,not even the oldest ,Aurelia, who has more action then the rest . All in all though, a good book .
Pat Knight
Mar 25, 2017 Pat Knight rated it it was amazing
Well written and richly imagined tale based on the old fairy tale of the 12 dancing princesses.
What kind of father is like that? 1 10 Jan 20, 2015 07:54AM
  • The Runaway Princess (Runaway Princess, #1)
  • Thornspell
  • The Swan Maiden
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • The Princess Curse
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood (Once Upon A Time, #19)
  • Fortune's Folly
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (Once Upon a Time, #18)
  • Snow in Summer
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (Once Upon a Time, #10)
  • The Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales
  • Bella at Midnight
  • Straw Into Gold
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
I grew up reading children's books and never wanted to do anything but write them. I'm the author of THE THIRTEENTH PRINCESS, A TRUE PRINCESS, PRINCESS OF THE WILD SWANS, SLEEPING BEAUTY'S DAUGHTERS, and my newest, BAKER'S MAGIC. I live in the country with my husband in what is aptly nicknamed the Bug House. Visit my website at www.dianezahler.com.

More about Diane Zahler...

Fairy Tale Princesses (4 books)
  • A True Princess
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Sleeping Beauty's Daughters

“Boys were so proud - you always had to let them think they were good at things.” 26 likes
“My dear, my dearest dust; I come, I come.” 8 likes