Potshot (Spenser, #28)

Potshot (Spenser #28)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  3,236 ratings  ·  142 reviews
'Robert B Parker's Spenser is one of the best private eyes in fiction' - The Sunday Telegraph Boston PI Spenser returns - heading west to the rich man's haven of Potshot, Arizona, a former mining town reborn as a paradise for LA millionaires looking for the idyllic life. But when their life-style is threatened by a 21st century gang of desert rats, misfits, drunks and scav...more
Published January 10th 2002 by Oldcastle Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Potshot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potshot

Kemper
Spenser deals in lead, friend.

A beautiful widow whose husband was murdered in the small desert town of Potshot, Arizona, hires Spenser. She thinks he was killed for standing up to a gang called The Dell that has been extorting local businesses. Spenser journeys to Potshot and confronts Preacher, the leader of gang, but he denies killing anyone.

Before he can get to the bottom of who murdered the husband, Spenser is approached by a group of town leaders who want to hire him to run off The Dell. S...more
TK421
Spenser goes cowboy. 'Nuff said.

Not really. But Parker does place Spenser in a different environment than Spenser is accustomed to.

POTSHOT opens with a beautiful blonde seeking Spenser's skills. Her husband has just been killed and she wants to hire Spenser to unravel the mystery. There's only one catch: Spenser has to leave Boston and go to Potshot, Arizona. Of course, Spenser takes the case.

While in Potshot, Spenser learns of the Dell gang, a mysterious group of people under the influence of...more
Tim Healy
Potshot is more an excuse to have a fun setup than it is a detective novel in the way that some Spenser novels are. It's Parker nodding, again, to one of his heroes. This time, it's his take on Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest. Spenser is hired to look into a murder, and ends up also hired to clean out the bad element that's about to destroy the town of Potshot.

What's fun about this? He brings some help with him. Hawk, of course, is a given. He also brings Tedy Sapp, who stood in for Hawk in the l...more
***Dave Hill
A Cut Above the Recent Average - Take a heaping scoop of the Magnificent Seven, throw in a few sprinkles of Chinatown and the Maltese Falcon, and turn it into a Spenser novel, and you'll have done what Parker does here. While nowhere near the personal intensity of the earlier Parker works, it's a definite cut above the other novels he's been cranking out of late.

The difference between then and now -- aside from the author having found a successful formula and just coasting with it -- is that the...more
Quillracer
The weakest book in the series. I think Parker was under pressure to turn out another Spenser novel and, not having a plot in mind, drug all the various ancillary characters he's created over the years (Chollo, Hawk, et al) into this lame story. Basically, it's a bunch of guys sitting around talking, cooking (wouldn't be a Spenser book without him making something in the kitchen), and shooting the bad guys. There isn't even a solid resolution here, just sort of a wishy-washy ending.
Marty
If you haven't yet seen The Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven, you should before reading this book. If you love Spenser the book is still a worthwhile read. He is hired to find out who killed someone in an Arizona town and the job quickly becomes one of routing the brigands who have moved in nearby and are collecting protection money from every business in town.
Chuck
Elise M.
Robert B. Parker's Spenser series is one of my comfort reads. They're admittedly not great literature, there's lots of white space on the page, but you know exactly what you're getting. You're going to get Spenser and Hawk and a little bit of Susan as justice prevails and another crime is solved.

In this book, Mary Lou Buckman comes to Boston to hire Spenser to solve the murder of her husband in Potshot, Arizona. She's been referred by a Los Angeles police officer she knew from before she moved t...more
Kirsten Kowalewski
Feb 12, 2008 Kirsten Kowalewski rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other Spenser and Robert Parker fans
I zoomed through all the Spenser novels in graduate school and I always LOVED the relationship between Spenser and Susan Silverman. I thought they were great books, and now I have had an opportunity to go back and read a couple (my dad was clearing off his bookcases).

I was all set to like Potshot, but it just didn't move for me. I was ready to be wowed by seeing all Spenser's favorite thugs team up and it was really anticlimactic. The characters mostly weren't well drawn and their motivations d...more
LJ
Potshot - G
Robert B. Parker - 28th book
Spenser, the intrepid Boston sleuth, heads west to aid a damsel in distress in Potshot, Arizona. But all is not as it seems in Potshot. Spenser is called upon to hire a band of thugs to rid the town of a renegade gang. Reader Joe Mantegna, who plays Spenser in the A&E movies, gives vocal identity to the splendid band of rogues Spenser recruits. Wiseguys and tough guys from Boston, Las Vegas, LA, and Georgia join Spenser and his sidekick, Hawk, for the f...more
Eliana
What can you say about a writer who can conjure up the likes of Spenser as well as Hawk. Their repartee is the hook and the plots and additional characters reel you in. Anyone who has lived in Boston will particularly enjoy the settings and characters. I am trying to finish up reading every single one of the Spenser series. Almost done!
Bookstorequeer
I liked this one. The dialogue is always the best part with the interplay and teasing. Also, I love that Parker writes gay characters where that's not the point of them at all. Sapp was capable and just as fun as the rest of them! It was interesting to see so many of Spencer's compatriots in one book (but Hawk's always my favourite).
John
Potshot is one of my absolute favorites of Parker's books. It's a pretty unabashed takeoff of the Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven, beefed up by a good old-fashioned Parker-style "something is rotten and must be dealt with" mystery plot. He digs up a lot of old and recent favorites for the supporting cast: from Hawk and Vinnie Morris to more recent friends like Tedy Sapp. The supporting cast of thugs works well as an ensemble, though some of them are more muted than others.

In a lot of way...more
Cyn (RaeWhit)
This book was like a family reunion: Hawk, Vinnie, Tedy, Chollo, Fortunato, and Spenser, of course, all come together to do the dirty work. I could almost hear the music from 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' in the background in the final shoot-em-up scene.
Randy

Boston PI Spenser returns - heading west to the rich man's haven of Potshot, Arizona, a former mining town reborn as a paradise for Los Angeles millionaires looking for a place to escape the pressures of their high-flying lifestyles. Potshot overcame its rough reputation as a rendevous for old-time mountain men who lived off the land, thanks to a healthy infusion of new blood and even newer money. But when this Western idyll is threatened by a local gang - a 21st century posse of desert rats, m

P.d.r. Lindsay
Oh boy, violent America. This Spenser novel is really a classic western, the good gunmen versus the bad gunmen.

For Spenser fans all the right ingredients are there, Susan and Pearl, Hawk, a case which looks one thing but is in fact quite another thing, excellent dialogue and tight writing.

It's a thrilling read but I wonder if we're coming to the end - thanks to the appalling number of gun massacres now in the USA - of considering such novels as entertainment? The Knight in Shining Armour who kil...more
Sandra Knapp
A light mystery, a quick read, not bad, but it didn't stimulate the imagination or get the blood circulating. It has a lot more sarcasm and "trying to be funny" remarks than I liked. I don't mind a bit of comic relief, especially when a story has me on the edge of my seat. But not when it's every other page. The author decided that his main character, a Boston PI, was a man who at least he thought was funny. I found it more annoying than amusing. I smiled once or twice, but that was about it. No...more
Mike Shultz
Maybe I'd rate it lower if I read more in the series, but I have to rate it pretty high because I read it in two days. Thoroughly entertaining. I think I might get annoyed at the character's ceaseless sexual innuendoes, but I plan to read more Spenser novels. The writing can only be described as ultra-spare--no words wasted on detailed descriptions or witty similes. No navel-gazing by the MC (except for longing to be with Susan, perhaps.) I had one moment of disbelief when a super-marksman chara...more
Jill
Loved the different setting for this entry in the very popular series. I love anything that involves Spenser and this one was amusing. It's my favorite series of all time!
Kevin Bresnahan
I enjoy Robert Parker novels, and the first 3/4's of the book I would have given 5 stars. He tries a new twist as Spenser is hired to find the murderer of a man in Potshot, Nevada. His widow is some sort of femme maniuplator. Boston is barely utilized in this novel. A cult-like gang is taking over the town on top of that. Spenser, Hawk, and some pals converge on Potshot to take the gang on and find out the murderer. I expected Spenser to win, and enjoyed the dialog and pace, yet the climax and e...more
Larry
Jun 29, 2014 Larry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
L.
Read this in about 3 hours. Again, set in AZ (or NM or TX?). Spenser is hired to find out about the death of a "dude ranch" owner, by his wife. The little town they're in has come under the control of a little gang of Hell's Angels types who are collecting protection money from everyone, except the dead guy. He was threatened by this gang, but the truth goes much deeper. Spenser assembles a crack team of hoodlums of his own to clean up the town, but by the end I can't quite figure out how he got...more
Cathy Cusson
Really enjoyed this book. The book has a wild west moment.
Leslie Jem
Spenser (and his posse) go to Arizona to clean up a dirty town.
Julie
If I could give more stars I would. Fun, I don't care who you are!
Jack
I've always enjoyed the books in Parker's "Spenser" series but I'll admit that a lot of 'em sort of blur together, especially the final two dozen or so. *Potshot* really stands out for me, mostly because it's Parker's take on "The Magnificent Seven". The plot/mystery is pretty mundane, so Parker relies on a lot of snappy dialogue to carry this one through. There's a few really hilarious moments in this book, along with a "gathering" of previous Parker heroes and villains.

Four and a half stars, r...more
Kit
too many cliches.
C.s. Thompson
May 01, 2013 C.s. Thompson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Robert Parker fans
Robert Parker is my favorite writer in the detective/mystery genre and I prefer Spencer to Jesse Stone. A testimony of Parker's skill as a writer is that Spencer and and his colleague, Hawk, are both characters that are too strong, too tough, too clever, and too resourceful to be believable and YET Parker brings them alive. What makes Potshot in particular so much fun is that it brings back other Spencer and Hawk like characters that Parker introduced us to over the years.
David Ward
Potshot (Spenser #28) by Robert B. Parker (G.P.Putnam's Sons 2001)(Fiction - Mystery) is my favorite Spenser novel. It features an all-start version of Spenser's various criminal allies - Vinnie, Hawk, Bobby Horse, Chollo, Bernard P. Fortunato, and Tedy Sapp. The guys all band together at Spenser's call when our intrepid hero is hired to (1) find out who killed Mary Lou's husband and (2) clean up the former mining town of Potshot, Arizona. Well told! 7.5/10, finished 8/16/11.
Sanya Weathers
This book is proof that realism and verisimilitude are not the same thing, and that the latter is actually a better choice for a writer if he's telling a whopping good story.

There was just as much silliness and improbability in this mystery as in the various cozies I've picked up recently, but it all got washed away in the rushing plot going past me. No navel gazing. No agonizing. No author-doing-tricks. Just a story. I enjoyed the heck out of this one.
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Everybody Dies (Matthew Scudder, #14)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Indivisible
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • The Long Lavender Look (Travis McGee #12)
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced....more
More about Robert B. Parker...
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Chance (Spenser, #23) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)