Start by marking “Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 20 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers” as Want to Read:

Beloved designer Lotta Jansdotter shows how easy it is to make cheerful gifts for little cherubs. A new mother herself, she's created 24 projects that match her simple style with practicality, resulting in sweet, yet durable, essentials for any rumble-tumble baby. She includes baby hats, bibs, a diaper bag built for the back of a stroller, a ribbon-tag blankie perfect for ...more
Published May 13th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby

Inder
Oct 01, 2009 Inder rated it really liked it
As with her other book, "Simple Sewing," my main criticism of this book is that the projects may be a bit too simple. But with a newborn in the house, suddenly this doesn't seem like much of a criticism - if I'm going to get any sewing done during short naps, it better be insanely simple! Also, using a little kerchief as a bib? Total genius!! And the bloomers? So flippin' cute. She got my $25.

____________________

Reporting back (again), I've sewn several pairs of bloomers (adorable, but they run
Elke Ursin
Oct 23, 2010 Elke Ursin rated it really liked it
I wish I could give this one 5 stars, it is just fantastic! The reason I can't quite give it a perfect score is because her instructions at times are confusing or not quite right. The projects are really amazing! I want to make just about everything in this book. I checked it out from the library and after renewing it about a million times and being refused by the library to keep it any longer, I decided to buy my own copy. I found that getting a big piece of packing paper and tracking the ...more
Andrea Marley
Nov 24, 2014 Andrea Marley rated it it was amazing
I want to be Lotta Jansdotter.
Rose
Nov 17, 2016 Rose rated it it was amazing
Fun, Fun, Fun! I love the playtime projects and other patterns that would be wonderful for baby showers. I borrowed this book from my local library.
Amy
Feb 26, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
I love this book. In less than a week I've already made 2 baby hats and giraffe rattle with plans to make so much more when I learn the gender of my baby next month. There are patterns included for most of the items in the book, plus pictures and written instructions. All but the dress are uni-sex.

The patterns include:
*bloomers
*bib kerchief
*simple dress (with a cute little pocket friend)
*simple pants
*decorated tees and bodysuits
*2 kinds of baby hats and a scarf
*giraffe rattle
*a weird "buddy"
jess
Oct 03, 2009 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, craft
The title of this book accurately describes it: 20 easy projects for newborns and toddlers. There are some simple clothes (dresses, pants, bloomers), some toys, and some accessories parents love (velcro pouches, diaper bags, burp clothes, play quilt with a pocket). The resource section in the back isn't extensive, but if you're outside the cities where Lotta likes to shop, you can hit some of the online stores she recommends. These projects are really simple, most of them you could make without ...more
Kimberli
Jan 08, 2012 Kimberli rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing, library-book
Although I like the look and idea of the book, I have found when my beginner sewing students bring me this book to work on a project, they are all too confused. There are also errors in this book. Has anyone found a list of errata?

The error I found right off is on the Simple Dress pattern. There is no mark on the pattern indicating where the "opening mark" is, which stumped my student until I added one. I've seen some murmers on Flickr about additional errors, but have yet to try those patterns.
Meg
Mar 16, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
If nothing else, this book was utterly inspiring. I am a novice-novice-novice at sewing, yet the only project I have attempted yet from this book was the simple dress. The directions were crazy for me to follow and it took me a long time, but i'm satisfied with the results. I would recommend checking out this book if you want to find some inspiration or are fairly good with a sewing machine and want to make your own bundler, for instance. just know if you are a novice like me she might not give ...more
Adrienne
May 26, 2016 Adrienne rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Jansdotter provides directions for twenty-four sewing projects for babies and toddlers, including clothes, toys, and handy things for parents, like a nursing pillow and changing pad. The bright pictures make the book appealing, but some of the instructions weren't crystalclear to me. More experienced sewers might not have any trouble, though. One other thing I didn't like is that some of the clothes didn't specify the child's size; for example, a dress said the finished size is 17 inches, but I ...more
Amie
Feb 20, 2010 Amie rated it it was amazing
I just finished my 8th project from this book and I have yet to find one that I didn't love. True to the title, every project has been simple and easy enough for a beginner like me. Lotta Jansdotter's instructions are well-written and easy to follow and her patterns are so simple to use. The other plus to her patterns is that none of them takes a lot of time (this is a HUGE plus for me!). A beautifully photographed and well-organized sewing book is so hard for me to resist! :)
Marjanne
Aug 30, 2009 Marjanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-sew-etc
So stinking cute! This is one I'm debating whether just to buy it myself or put it on a wish list. The author is darling and has quite the creative streak. Her designs are darling, not to mention the photography. I'm excited to try some of her projects and even more to see my darling kids in them.
Alexis
Sep 05, 2009 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
I like the layout & the simplicity of the designs--they seem more doable than most of the projects in Amy Butler's Little Stitches. The execution is the final test, however, and I have too many projects to start anything right now.
Maria
Mar 05, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it
There are a lot of easy, creative non time consuming ideas in this book. A great one for a beginner or someone wanting baby gift ideas.
Kathryn
Nov 01, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be a first time grandmother in March 2010, so this is a great book for things to make for both baby and mom
Meagan
Sep 29, 2009 Meagan rated it really liked it
VERY cute and a good money saver as well. In most cases it's cheaper to make it yourself than to buy it (i.e. cloth diaper covers, soft toys, cute clothes).
Bethany
Feb 23, 2012 Bethany rated it it was ok
Shelves: project-books
I liked this book for ideas, but none of the projects caught my eye. The book does come with some really cute stencils for t-shirts, blankets, etc. Look through it for ideas for sure.
Courtney
Oct 08, 2009 Courtney rated it liked it
I like to pretend I know how to sew but really I just tell my mom about cool projects I read about in hopes she will make them for me. Very sneaky, I know.
Lois
Jul 14, 2010 Lois rated it it was ok
have to look at this one again when I have grandbabies to think about sewing for. the "buddy" is interesting with his sideways smirk.
Ashley
Jan 09, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, nonfiction
This book has some great ideas and excellent projects. I completed one with little confusion, which is saying something!
Jaime David
Sep 08, 2009 Jaime David rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Great directions and truly simple. Good style and the spiral binding makes it great for working on projects. I hope to make several things from this book.
Linda
Mar 22, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Nice collection of simple patterns. The wording was somewhat akward. It gave me many ideas of things to try to sew some day.
Jamie
Aug 29, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing-crafts
Definitely a great book for novice seamstresses, and also a great inspiration for not-so-novices. If only new moms had the time to make all the cute stuff in this book...
Carissa
Carissa rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2010
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Sylvia Hong
Sylvia Hong rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2011
Bg
Bg rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2012
Kim Forsythe
Kim Forsythe rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Dawno
Dawno rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Briana
Briana rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2010
Capucinenskinautik
Capucinenskinautik rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones
  • Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • A Rainbow of Stitches: Embroidery and Cross-Stitch Basics Plus More Than 1,000 Motifs and 80 Project Ideas
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Growing Up Sew Liberated: Making Handmade Clothes and Projects for Your Creative Child
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Cute Stuff: Let's Make Cute Stuff By Aranzi Aronzo!
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear