Start by marking “Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1)” as Want to Read:
Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1)

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  15,650 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews
October "Toby" Daye, a changeling who is half human and half fae, has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the Faerie world, retreating to a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world has other ideas...

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Even
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by DAW BOOKS Inc (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary and Rue, please sign up.

Kari Chapman What do you mean by "Fade to black"? Asking because I'm not familiar with that term :-)…moreWhat do you mean by "Fade to black"? Asking because I'm not familiar with that term :-)(less)
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
47th out of 2,586 books — 9,365 voters
Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsStorm Front by Jim ButcherMoon Called by Patricia BriggsDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Urban Fantasy SERIES
17th out of 362 books — 1,819 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie(babs)
R.
This started off strong, but it lost a whooooole bunch of steam as it went. The story never really felt like it was driving forward, just sort of meandering onward.

Toby is likeable enough, but she's sort of ineffectual. She spends a large portion of the book constantly being battered about and recovering from various near-fatal injuries and in the grand scheme of the plot and what she's attempting to do, very rarely does she ever actually accomplish anything herself. Which is not to say that sh
The Flooze
ETA: I've continued reading this series and want to point out I gave books four and five considerably higher ratings. Four stars each.
_______________________________

I can't make up my mind what to rate this. The unforgiving and frustrated side of me wants to saddle it with a two. The part of me that loves depictions of the fae, their powers and lands leans towards a three for effort.

My problem with Rosemary and Rue is this: Nothing really happens.

Sure, there’s a lot of running around. Bullets
Michelle Dockrey
Sep 10, 2009 Michelle Dockrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Michelle by: Seanan McGuire
Shelves: favorites
Full disclosure: this review may be doubly biased; not only is the author one of my best friends, but I'm in the proofing pool. I'm in an unusual position. I've had the privilege of watching this book and this series grow over drafts and years, from an unruly child into a beaming graduate. If authors are essentially releasing their children out into the world to make it on their own, I feel like I'm part of the proud family that's watched them grow up, or at least perhaps one of its well-loved t ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Rosemary and Rue is well-written urban fantasy. This novel is full of the melancholy. Not what I would call fatalistic or depressing, but instead in touch with the sad, the weary, the timeless angst of the faerie folklore and myths. San Francisco is a beautiful setting for this story, this grand old city of hills, water, and mists. It's not difficult to believe that Faeries would situate their courts in this place. There is something magical to this setting that does half of the world-building i ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay this is one of those, "I've got good news and I've got bad news" situations. So what would you like first?

I suppose you've already seen some of the "good" news in that I went all the way to a 4 star rating. For me that says a lot. I don't give a lot of 5s and I'm also careful with the 4s. We only have a 5 star system here so for a book to be rated 5 stars I figure it has to be excellent. A 4 can't be that far behind.

This one held my interest, didn't fall into the things that have driven me
Alexa
Another one of the misses during my book slump. This one was a DNF @ 34%.

This book had one of the best prologues I've read in a while.

October "Toby" Daye, is following a suspect for a case in her PI firm, and she gets caught and turned into a freaking fish for fourteen years.

I kid you not. Fourteen Years A life lost. A new start. That is probably the best entrance ever.

And then it just goes downhill. I never cared about Toby, I never cared about her friends, the murder or the investigation. I
Vlad
October Daye, a changeling (half-fairy) whose life was ruined after being turned into a fish for 14 years in a San Francisco pond, has recently returned to human form and is working as a cashier at Safeway. Unfortunately, "Toby" is called upon to investigate the death of a fairy Countess, Evening Winterrose, and must acquiesce, since Evening cast a curse upon her that will kill her if she fails.

Rosemary and Rue begins well. It's fast-paced and presents a lively setting of fantasy, murder, and a
Felicia
The Holy Terror
May 08, 2011 The Holy Terror rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Merry Gentry or Melissa Marr
In retrospect I think I was blinded at the time to this book's promising start. I give it 3.25 stars.

October Daye used to be a private investigator until she was turned into a fish and left in the Koi Pond in the Japanese Tea Gardens of Golden Gate Park. The spell lasted 14 years and October lost her entire life. She's trying to start over and then she receives a message on her answering machine from a friend. The friend knows that she's about to be killed so she curses Toby into finding out who
Rebecca
For a book that managed to hit a rough spot with me on the first page, I liked Rosemary and Rue.

The rough spot was in the pronunciation guide. The author (or someone) noted that kitsune* was pronounced kit-soon, when the closer pronunciation would be kee-tsoo-neh -- Japanese transliteration doesn't leave silent letters. For that matter, I wasn't too thrilled with the use of a kitsune character in a book about fairies, because it felt like an afterthought to have a Japanese fox-spirit in a book a
Kim
Urban fantasy is one of my favorite genres to read these days, but my love for it really began in the '80s, when I was reading Charles de Lint, Emma Bull, and the fabulous Bordertown anthologies. I love a good vampire story, and werewolves are growing on me as well (peculiar image, right?), but my true favorites are the stories of the fey, not the itty bitty cutesy faeries, but the elegant and dangerous ones found in the ballads of Thomas the Rhymer and Tam Lin. I've simply had a harder time fin ...more
Megan
Oct 20, 2010 Megan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fae stories or is a hard core UF fan & isn't bothered by extensive world building.
Rosemary and Rue really isn't bad. I can't complain about the writing, the action, the mystery or the protagonist, October "Toby" Daye. But somehow, this book just never got a hold of my interest. I blame the world building ~ there is a lot of background information given. A lot. And frankly Toby Daye isn't all that different from so many other female protagonists found in UF books.

Author Seanan McGuire obviously put quite a bit of thought and time into constructing the world in which Toby liv
Sunny
This is the start of something beautiful. More review to come.
Lauren
Rosemary and Rue
3.5 Stars

As a changeling, October “Toby” Daye has never fit into either the human or the fae worlds, but vows to live a “normal” life when she is burned by the faeries one too many times. Unfortunately, the murder of an old friend forces Toby back into fae society as she renews old alliances and forges new ones while investigating the crime.

Like many first books in a UF series, much of the book is taken up by the world building and this tends to overshadow the mystery. The fae w
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
The 2 stars is mostly because I like the idea of it. I like the world and I'm kind of a sucker for all things fae. And I really like certain aspects and characters - I like Sylvester and Luna, and I really like Tybalt, and there's a part of me that would like to see more of them but, like, in their own stories or something because I don't think I'm into reading another story from October's perspective.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

In many ways this is a bog-standard urban fantasy whodunit, co
Misty
This was a recent book club pick, and while many (most) of the books that have been picked for the 1st half of this year elicited an underwhelming amount of excitement, I was at least moderately looking forward to this one: they almost always let me down, but I can't keep myself from reading about faeries.

This one, unfortunately, was not an exception to that rule. I missed the first part of the book club meeting, but from what I did see, it seemed that the disappointment was pretty universal. I
Danielle Book Mafia Enforcer
Complete and utter snooze fest so far

description

This book was so depressing and boring. I mean my goodness... I can't even say how much I disliked this book. The two stars are because I finished it. I finished it because it was audio and those cost too much to DNF.

Starting the book I was like "Oh you were a fish for 14 years...":
description

As she works the case (if that's what you want to call it, she really didn't do anything) I was like "Damn this broad is dumb...and boring":

description

Waxing poetic about the state of her li
Dorian
At the start of this book, Our Heroine gets ambushed and turned into a fish, which is a bit of an unexpected opening. However, it is just the prologue, and by the start of the story proper, 14 years later, she's...um, bipedal, again. (As a Changeling, she's not human.)

Anyway, there she is, only recently unfished, and doing a lousy job of putting her life back together again, when she finds herself bound and cursed to investigate a murder. Things, naturally, get somewhat messy from there on.

There
Callista
Sep 19, 2014 Callista rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Callista by: Mina Fritts, julia Andersen
Wow, October “Toby” Daye’s life is a disaster. She’s up to her ears in conflict and drama. She’s tough, but not too tough; she gets hurt a lot and there’s lots of bleeding and patching up. While she can be gruff with people, it’s cute that Toby has maternal instincts that she employs with the teenagers she meets. Her dealings with Quentin the page were especially good. Tybalt, the King of Cats, is sarcastic, edgy and sexy--and it’s pretty obvious that what Toby believes to be his opinion of her ...more
Heidi
Going in, I didn’t realize just how different an Urban Fantasy the October Daye series was going to be. In a genre flooded with witches, vampires, werewolves and other paranormal creatures, one doesn’t necessarily expect to find a UF take on the fey. This unexpected realization was what at first made me hesitate, but at last made me fall into Rosemary and Rue, which should be no surprise to those of you who know my love of the YA UF fey series, Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.

As I neared that poin
Jacob Proffitt
I wanted to like this book, I really did. The characters were interesting and the world was a good twist on the typical faerie lore. Further, the heroine is an excellent mixture of cynical and vulnerable that is both engaging and charming.

The ending, however, left me scratching my head and angry at both the author and heroine--I couldn't really tell if the fault was in the character or author as the (in)action seemed to me to come out of left field. Details in the spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Emilie
This book is completely average urban fantasy. There was basically nothing engaging at all about it, from the unsympathetic narrator to the predictable world building. Throughout the entire book, I kept waiting for Toby to do something proactive or clever but instead she just wanders through the world, waiting to react to the other characters, none of whom are engaging in any way either. No explanations are given for characters behaving in illogical ways, and the "mystery" has no build up at all ...more
Suz
I would love to stop and review this book, but in truth I'm in too much of a hurry to get started on the second one. It's crazy good. Yet another addition to my auto-buy series list.
Danya
October ‘Toby’ Daye is half-human, half-fae, a changeling in a pureblood’s world. In the feudal society of the fae, Toby and other changelings are largely considered second-class citizens, fit only for amusement and minor tasks. Changelings have magic, but it is extremely limited; while Toby can create a passable glamour and use blood magic, she suffers the consequences when she pushes herself too far. And when you’re tenacious the way Toby is, you pretty much always push yourself too far.

It is
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

ROSEMARY AND RUE, which gets its title from Shakespeare’s A Winter's Tale, is a gritty and glorious true urban fantasy. I defy you to put this book down after the first chapter.

The world building in ROSEMARY AND RUE is among the best I've ever read in an urban fantasy. The world of the Faerie is as dangerous and beautiful as a glass rose. In the human world, unbeknownst to us, Kelpies lurk in dark alleys, Pixies wage wars over grocery store tu
Dawn
Overall I loved the world McGuire created and the plot had some unexpected surprises which was nice. I also liked the relationships between the characters. The murder mystery was great, I had no idea who the murderer was, totally did not see that coming. It was also an easy read!

What was a downer was the clues did not fully come together, in retrospect it felt like there were some unnecessary tangents that did not move the story like or keep it interesting. I think all of the back story just got
Keertana
Rosemary and Rue is a promising start to what I can already see shaping up to be one of my favorite UF Series. From the beginning itself, McGuire's novel starts out differently from most other UF Series - with our protagonist being turned into a fish for fourteen years. Thus, when the book really kicks off, Toby Daye, our changeling heroine in question, is determined to avoid her past as a faerie knight and PI. What I really love about this set-up is that it allows us, the reader, to be newly in ...more
Brad
I had been meaning to read this series for a while, ever since reading Mira Grant's zombie books. I finally got around to it and was very pleased with this urban fairy story. I was happy to get to know Toby and Sylvester and was rather surprised and interested in trying to piece together Toby's personal history through the action. I prefer books that make me work a little for my satisfaction, and while this is no James Joyce, I had a great time reading it.

For an Urban Fantasy series, it has a gr
The Challenge Fac...: Sadie & Kristin - Rosemary and Rue 13 9 Jan 07, 2015 10:56PM
16 63 Oct 23, 2014 11:41AM
Lovers of Paranor...: [BOTM] - MOD PICK - Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire 11 31 Jan 25, 2014 08:53PM
  • The Enchantment Emporium (Gale Women, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3)
  • Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1)
  • Dead on the Delta (Annabelle Lee, #1)
  • The Grimrose Path (Trickster, #2)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com, #1)
  • Spellbent (Jessie Shimmer, #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and
More about Seanan McGuire...

October Daye (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)
One Salt Sea (October Daye #5) Late Eclipses (October Daye #4) An Artificial Night (October Daye #3) Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6) A Local Habitation (October Daye #2)

“If anything attacked us, we could just panic at it until it went away.” 105 likes
“When Rome burned, the emperor's cats still expected to be fed on time.” 88 likes