Start by marking “The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit

The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit

Two of America’s most popular authorities on healthy eating and cooking join forces in this inspiring, easy-to-use cookbook. This is not a diet book. It is a lively guide to healthy cooking, day-by-day, packed with essential information and, above all, filled with enticing food.

Andrew Weil, M.D.—author of the best-selling Eating Well for Optimum Health—brings to this perfe
Published April 2nd 2002 by Knopf (first published March 12th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Healthy Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healthy Kitchen

Nov 16, 2009 Shannan rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I was really disappointed in this book. His nutritional advice is very similar to what Michael Pollan writes about, but his personal taste and opinions seemed to have much more sway than they should. I felt like he was saying "I like this and so should you. Oh, and here's some nutritional information why it's good for you." There is also an attitude that I am getting used to in this type of book that I classify as "middle class people with disposable income" about only buying organic and grass f ...more
Theresa Stevens
Sep 30, 2012 Theresa Stevens rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
As you can see my bookshelf has a lot of cookbooks. This book 'Healthy Kitchen' got me hooked when I saw these people on The Ophra (Winfry) Show and they were advocating their newly published book. It certainly is a reference book that covers everything and how to cook and eat healthily without breaking the bank! Good information!
Jan 31, 2009 Amberjean rated it did not like it
Shelves: food-and-cooking
I stopped reading after they declared that couscous was a grain (it's a pasta, made from fine semolina rolled into tiny balls). For heaven's sakes. These people are giving nutritional advice?
Oct 25, 2009 Lori rated it liked it
I was excited at the prospect of this cookbook because I really admire Dr. Weil, his philosophies and his books. Unfortuately the book was a disappointment in many ways.
Many of the recipes are complicated and time consuming. I am the mother of four children and don't have the time that's necessary for many of these recipes. Some examples include; Baked Wontons, Vegetable Nori Rolls, Vegetable Lasagna and Savory Lobster-Mushroom Crepe. These were all multi-stepped recipes.
You've probably guessed
Sep 03, 2016 Virginia rated it liked it
Some recipes in this book are great - we LOVE the turkey recipe. It's not going to dry out the meat, and everyone will ask what you did to make it so tasty. HOWEVER, for the most part the recipes in this are too labor intensive daily use, or they have odd ingredients. Better Black Bean Soups can be found just about anywhere, the Cold Pasta Primavera was only moderately ok, and etc. Healthwise it has good concepts to preach but many recipes use too much Olive oil and other moderately healthy ingr ...more
Feb 11, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: mycookbooks
I have Andrew Weil to thank for my food, health, & nutrition awareness beginnings. Now, fourteen years later, he and I don't always agree on everything, but I sure do love his recipes.

The breadless quiche is one of my go-to recipes in this book. Whenever I make it for guests, its WOW factor is loud and clear. Ridiculously long, multi-stepped processes with an endless amount of ingredients, yes.... but so, so worth it. I like the challenge.

It's not necessarily a book for people having little
Dec 20, 2014 Lee rated it liked it
I read this book shortly before starting a three-week challenge to eat more healthily. (Okay, diet...I just so dislike the negative connotations associated with that word.)

I found the book helpful in understanding more of the nutritional details of eating - not just the various components of nutrition (i.e. carbohydrates, proteins), but also how to make better choices in how those components are represented in a meal.

The recipes were okay - not many stood out as "must try's" - but it was still a
Bill DeGenaro
Jan 29, 2012 Bill DeGenaro rated it it was amazing
I got this as a graduation present when I finished grad school (at Arizona, where Weil has a close relationship with the med school) and instantly fell in love. Fabulous recipes and thoughtful arguments for eating more nuts, olive oil, avocado, and flax. There's a great recipe in here for broccoli prepared with dijon mustard and mashed avocado that's out of this world. Really good salad ideas too.
Jan 04, 2008 Mia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read cookbooks...i promise you the pictures will have you hungry in no time!
I haven't made a whole lot of things out of this cookbook. the recipes call for somethings I have never seen in the St. Albans Kroger...but then I do have a ghetto Kroger...don't get me started. But everything looks so yummy! Not only are the pictures beautiful, you learn a little more about living healthy not just eating healthy. And these two just look so cute on the cover.
Jessica sil
Dec 30, 2007 Jessica sil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd love to give this book a five star rating but the baked deserts are awful! However, this was a really great book for learning how to substitute spice for fat. There are at least five recipes that I now make regularly. Best to follow exactly the first time and then improvise. These are man-friendly recipes that will leave your spouse full and happy.
Feb 07, 2015 Adriana rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Adriana by: I found and searched this book out on my own, prior to getting it.
Shelves: gastronomy
I purchased this book and immediately sat down to read it. It did not disappoint. Rosie was once Oprah's chef and the recipes are not only delicious but healthy. Dr Weil is also a force in his own right. And between the two they made an excellent cookbook. I believe i read this in 98'. I may be mistaken but I still have the book and still prepare recipes from it.
 Barb Bailey
I found several spice blends to make in this cookbook plus several healthy salad and main course recipes to try. Checked out at local library...worth the time to read as spice blends are easy to make and can be added to many recipes.
Oct 05, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok
Haven't tried any recipes yet, so difficult to rate this book. The nutrition info is good, for someone new to ideas of nutrition. The recipes look like they could be tasty. Nothing jumped out at me as something I must try.
May 02, 2008 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Awesome. I can't wait till I have the money to actually make some of these recipes. I love all of the nutrition information and that they have worked out the nutrition facts for each recipe.
Jun 01, 2013 Joann rated it really liked it
This was an interesting nutrition and cookbook. Lots of interesting information. I really enjoyed it.
Nov 03, 2010 Laurie rated it liked it
Some good recipes. Not all are as healthy as I would like, but most are and all I have tried so far are very tasty.
Nancy Lines
Feb 24, 2014 Nancy Lines rated it it was ok
I was not impressed by this book, I give this cookbook 2 stars. It provides nutritional and healthy information that I already knew and most of the recipes didn't appeal to me.
Aug 22, 2010 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodbooks
I wasn't really interested in most of the recipes but it was worth reading for Weil's various articles on health and nutrition throughout the book.
Feb 19, 2009 Kayleigh rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a decent cookbook with healthy and quick recipes that weren't too weird. There were meat recipes too, which obviously isn't my thing, but overall, it's a good book.
Aug 05, 2007 Dra. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Weil and Rosie Daley recipes book but I like read the fisrt chapter about Andrew's introduction ; Nutrition and health is very informative.
Apr 14, 2008 Ana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I've used this cookbook many times. The recipes are delicious, except for the clam chowder. Low-fat clam chowder just isn't the same.
Katarina Dass
Katarina Dass rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Jamie rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Skcollins rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Lldye rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Valerie rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Laurajean rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2007
Keri Pollock
Keri Pollock rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2011
Jenna rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Celestalis rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • Knife Skills Illustrated: A User's Manual
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Lidia's Family Table
  • Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
  • The Best of Cooking Light: Over 500 of Our All-Time Greatest Recipes
  • The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • The Quick Recipe
  • My French Kitchen
Andrew Thomas Weil, MD, is the founder and program director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. He is the author of many bestselling books, including Spontaneous Healing, 8 Weeks to Optimum Health, and others.

Learn More:
More about Andrew Weil...