Sleeping Beauty: The Graphic Novel

Sleeping Beauty: The Graphic Novel

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Once upon a time, an evil faerie cursed a young princess. On her fifteenth birthday, the princess pricked her finger on a spindle and fell into a spell of sleep. Trapped behind poisonous thorns and guarded by deadly zombies, only the bravest soul can awaken her. Otherwise, she will live forever in eternal slumber.
Published November 1st 2009 by Stone Arch Books (first published January 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Beauty

Truly
This variation was a little too short for my taste and not very descriptive.
While I love graphic novels, particularly of the dark and twisty variety, this one had one specific section that was so bordering on plagiarism from Disney's version that it was embarrassing. Just using synonyms to replace words does not make the sentence your own.

Powell’s Version: “The Princess shall indeed grow in beauty and goodness, deeply loved by all who know her. But on her fifteenth birthday, she will cut her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel . . . and she will die!!”

Disney’s Ver...more
Kristen
We all know the story of Sleeping Beauty, but I loved the small twists to the tale that this graphic novel rendition spun to keep it new and interesting. The drawings were incredible unique and drew my eye when I first looked at it. I can only compare it to that of Tim Burton. The characters have big eyes and the overall feel of the graphic novel is darker.

I absolutely enjoyed reading the History of Sleeping Beauty at the end of the book as well as glancing through the discussion questions and w...more
Miri
The illustrations in this one were so weird (I hated the characters' eyes, the prince's in particular), and didn't do a good job showing perspective so sometimes I couldn't tell what exactly was happening in a panel. Combined with one of the lamest fairy tale stories, this is probably my least favorite of the graphic novels so far.
Crystal
The story is the traditional telling of the classic with clear, bright illustrations. At the end of the graphic novel, the author includes a glossary, a short history of the story, discussion questions, writing prompts, and a website for further exploration.
Inge
For the gloomy gothic young reader. Nothing remarkable, but a decent effort with a nice glossary in the back.
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Stacey B.
Stacey B. marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Candace Ivy
Candace Ivy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 18, 2014
Crystal Johnson
Crystal Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Jenny Hines
Jenny Hines marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Caramelfrappucino
Caramelfrappucino marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Amy Becca
Amy Becca marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Martin Powell is the author of hundreds of science fiction, mystery, and horror stories. He has worked in the comic book industry since 1986, writing for Marvel, DC, Malibu, Caliber, Moonstone, and Disney, among others, and has been nominated for the coveted Eisner Award. Martin also writes children’s books, and frequently contributes prose for many short story anthologies. He resides in Saint Pau...more
More about Martin Powell...
Red Riding Hood: The Graphic Novel The Hound of the Baskervilles (Graphic Revolve (Graphic Novels)) Snow White: The Graphic Novel The Hound of the Baskervilles The Tall Tale of Paul Bunyan: The Graphic Novel