Start by marking “How My Breasts Saved the World: Misadventures of a Nursing Mother” as Want to Read:
How My Breasts Saved the World: Misadventures of a Nursing Mother

How My Breasts Saved the World: Misadventures of a Nursing Mother

"How My Breasts Saved the World is mother's milk for any new mama struggling with confounding transformation from woman into human canteen."--"Vanity Fair
"Refreshingly hysterical. Any woman can benefit from Shapiro's hard-won education."--"BUST magazine
"Shapiro's memoir . . . offers a welcome real-life complement to weightier breastfeeding advice."--"Brain, Child magazin
Published January 6th 2006 by Lyons Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How My Breasts Saved the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How My Breasts Saved the World

Kim
Jan 12, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
I read this when I was a new mom and alternately thought it was at turns stupid and awesome, which is pretty much how I felt at the time. Mostly, though, it was nice to read about nursing in a "normal" book--not a how-to or a why-to. Hate the title, but the book's pretty good.
Katie
Mar 04, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
This woman's retelling of the craziness involved in try to nurse is spot on, if a bit hysterial at times, but also includes some realistic tips and expectations in VERY funny prose.
Harkinna
Jun 27, 2012 Harkinna rated it it was amazing
I ran across this book at our bookstore and took a chance on it. Baby books can be hit or miss. One I read was so bad I did not even want to review it. I liked how the book started: with this idealized version of how her mother and other female family members discussed breastfeeding as though they had all done it for years and it was so easy...

Years ago, I asked Linda if she had breastfed all of us. “Yes, all of you were breastfed.” Well, ok. Then later I thought to ask more.

“How long did you br
Ricki
Oct 18, 2008 Ricki rated it it was ok
I had to read this book because of the title. Sadly, the title was my favorite part of the book. It was funny, but I couldn't really relate to the author. It's all about how she didn't want to nurse too long and didn't like it, but did it any and encouraged other nursing moms to join a support group. I respect that she did it anyway because she knew it was better for her baby. She was of the mindset that women can work, go out with friends, have children, etc, etc, etc. Women can have it all, do ...more
Stephanie
Jul 27, 2011 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: parenting
I wanted to love this book. Instead I kept wondering how a grown woman wouldn't educate herself before having a baby. It blew my mind how little Shapiro knew even beyond breastfeeding. I spent most of the book wondering if she had taken the time to even just pick up What to Expect When You're Expecting how different her experience would be. If I had read this as an expectant mother I would have been terrified. Instead of being a warning to pick up a book, she comes across as though nursing ...more
Linda
It's a great book to show that help in the early days when breastfeeding can be so important. In Australia we have the Australian Breastfeeding Association and their Helpline 1800 686 2 686. breastfeeding.asn.au It's important to read good information and be able to weed out what people tell you, as they will often tell you complete crap. Lisa realises that if she sought help early, she would've had a smoother journey.
Gail
Aug 06, 2012 Gail rated it it was ok
I didn't know this was more of a how-to book, but it was. It was actually really funny - just a straightforward description of trying to figure out breastfeeding with her first child. "Then I called the lactation consultant and couldn't get an appointment til Monday. So I cried. Then my husband brought me take-out" Interesting only (and only barely) if you've been there, I guess, which I have, but I still can't believe she got a book deal for this..
Mari
Feb 21, 2012 Mari rated it really liked it
Hilarious. I found it while perusing the parenting shelf at my local library. Really glad I picked it up, and I read it within a day. While I couldn't relate to everything, the memoir of nursing really struck a cord. And it's written in such a way that keeps you laughing. I should look and see if she has a blog ...
Jamie
Nov 07, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nursing mothers, new moms
Shelves: memoirs, parenting
Even though it wasn't the most literary of memoirs, this book was the right thing for me at the right time. There doesn't seem to be much honest writing out there about what it's like to be a nursing mother, and I tore this book up for personal connections. I recommend new moms to read it during their first month of breastfeeding.
Joanna
I read this during the "fourth trimester" with my newborn, so the experiences were immediately relevant and funny to me. I don't think the book would be of much interest to anyone other than the parent (and probably only the mother) of a newborn. Still, it was an amusing memoir that was a good choice for me during the postpartum period.
Brandy
Nov 25, 2007 Brandy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nursing mommies
Shelves: parenting
I read this book when Xavier was just a tiny baby, and I felt like I was glued to the couch and breastfeeding for 3 months straight - Ha ha!! It was nice for me to read about the experiences of another nursing mom so I didn't feel like I was going out of my mind.
Anna
Sep 24, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Awesome, especially if you're going through it. Her advice to buy some good nursing/sleeping bras before the end of the breastfeeding was spot on. I read this- rather, gobbled it up- in my 2nd month of breastfeeding. Easy to read style, and very relatable.
Aug 20, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who has breast fed or just had a first baby in general this book will make you laugh. I have been through MANY of the situations in this book and glad I wasn't the only person who had her experiences.
Jenny
Sep 24, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
Funny -- definitely something I can appreciate better these days. It makes me feel lucky that I was so paranoid about breastfeeding that I read three books on breastfeeding before my son was born. Although now I'm wondering if our latch is as good as I thought it was...
Jayme
Jun 30, 2008 Jayme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new moms
Lisa Shapiro's take on breastfeeding, her ups and downs with the whole thing, was fantastic. Hilarious, and totally relatable. (Well, probably not so relatable if you haven't had an infant depending on you for sustenance... then, actually, the book might be a bit of breast overkill.)
Melissa
Sep 12, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Cute memoir about the first year of motherhood. Mostly focusing on the ups and downs of breastfeeding.
Kat Beckerman
Feb 21, 2008 Kat Beckerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: expecting moms
I first read this after Jocy. But after I finished nursing. I think every expecting mom should be given this book. It helped not feel so only thru the trials and errors of breastfeeding.
Shana
Apr 16, 2008 Shana rated it liked it
Recommends it for: New Mothers
Emily
Apr 21, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Great so far- funny, poignant and true to life... I definitely recommend it for anyone who is/was/wants to be pregnant and is considering/has/is breastfeeding...
Michelle
New moms will love this book! I related to a lot of what the author was going through during her baby's first year.
Kerri
Aug 24, 2008 Kerri rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Brand New Mothers
Ok, let me be clear that this is for the new nursing moms. Recommend reading this about 4 to 6 weeks into breastfeeding. Whether you are having difficulty or not, this will make you laugh.
Rachele
Oct 30, 2015 Rachele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Very self-absorbed description of life from a breastfeeding mother, however, it made me laugh at a time that I desperately needed to laugh
alex
alex rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Nux
Nux rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2013
ingrid
Apr 23, 2009 ingrid rated it it was amazing
Hilarious.
shannon
shannon rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2007
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2009
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2009